shape
carat
color
clarity

Fluorescence

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

warren75

Rough_Rock
I have been looking at diamonds online as well as with local jewelers and have found a stone that I think will meet my constraints. The diamond is an AGS 000, E, VS1, 0.83 carats. My only concern is that the AGS cert. lists "medium blue" fluorescence. Should I be concerned about this? It does not appear to make the diamond look cloudy under normal light. Can the fluorescence be a negotiating point when talking price with the seller?Thanks,
Warren75

StevL

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
And its a good idea for a second opinion. Spend a couple more dollars and get a independent appraiser to examine it.I just had a AGS report state that a diamond was inert (none), and it had yellow fluorescence. Mistakes do happen. ------------------

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
GIA and probably AGS also, use a distance of 15" from the UV light source to determine the subjective amount of UV fluorescence in a diamond. However, GIA sells a UV light unit to the trade that puts the lamp within 3 inches of the diamond. Many stones graded inert by the labs will definitely fluoresce under closer, more intense UV lighting conditions.You can expect independent gemologists to more harshly grade UV fluorescence since they generally have not been taught what the GIA lab actually does, and falsely assume the units sold by GIA duplicate the actual GIA-GTL methodology.A little UV fluorescence is not much of an issue. A lot may become a definite point of argument in a negotiation. Usually the price already reflects the reality of the actual stone.------------------
David Atlas
Accredited Gem Appraisers

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Hi Warren75,In general the trade discounts D, E and F colored fluorescent diamonds, but a GIA survey of experts and consumers found a slight preference for fluorescent diamonds.If your diamond doesn't appear oily or cloudy, it shouldn't be a problem for you.However it is always a good idea to try to negotiate the price
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results