shape
carat
color
clarity

FLUORESCENCE VS CUT

ABB

Rough_Rock
Hello!
I'm looking to upgrade my wedding ring. I have a question about fluorescence. My current ring is an E and I want to stay within the colorless range. How important is fluorescence relative to cut. I'm looking at 3 diamonds below, all GIA certified.

E--S12--excellent cut--1.5 carat with strong blue fluor

E--SI2--very good cut--1.5 carat with no fluor

D--SI2--excellent cut--1.6 carat with medium blue fluor

Thanks for your help,
ABB

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fluor and cut are completely unrelated to one another. Most people dont care about fluor one way or another unless it might make the stone look "milky ", which typically only happens with very strong fluor and D/E color.

What makes a diamond sparkle and perform well is cut. So thats the most important thing to most people on this forum.

Unfortunately, GIA XXX cut isnt enough to guarantee a well performing stone. You'll need to post the reports with all of the angles, etc, for us to help.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you working with a jeweler? If not, if you are happy to post your budget, people on here could Point you to some good performers within your desired specs.

LoveMeDo

Shiny_Rock
Cut and fluorescence are completely unrelated. Focus on getting the best cut so your diamond has the strongest performance possible. Do you have the reports for these stones so we can help evaluate?

Re: fluoro, I have a gorgeous D color diamond with strong fluorescence that has no milky appearance whatsoever. You only see the blue-ish effect in direct sunlight, and I personally love it! That said, you’d need to see these stones in person to evaluate whether or not the fluoro has any negative impact on the stone’s appearance. You can’t tell from a report, you just have to see it with your eyes.

Good luck!

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think most people here would take more of a chance with fluorescence vs. cut. But no on can give an educated opinion on cut quality with the information provided. Copies of the lab reports and macro phtotos are needed at a minimum (and ideally advanced images like IS and ASET),

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The most beautiful diamonds I see are strong blue with great cut.

For the OP, as well as myself: Are there certain characters one should avoid in a diamond with strong fluorescence....ie: twinning wisps, etc? Thanks.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results