shape
carat
color
clarity

Fluorescence - but wait not the usual question!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

justme

Shiny_Rock
Has anyone ever seen fluorescence show up in red tones?

I have a line bracelet and for kicks held it up to a blacklight - the diamonds are H VS2 - about 5 of them fluoresced slightly. But the biggest surprise was the one that fluoresced a reddish / orange color.

Then tried a friends ring and one of her small rounds fluoresced the same color.

Any explainations?

Kind of wild to see!

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
I've forgotten his name, but the fellow who owns MidWest Gems has a nice section on fluorescence in his website.

There he describes the following fluorescent colors which have been encountered in the "red" category:

-----------
It must be understood that under red the shade may vary from deep plum
red, through crimson, to rose and pink...
-----------

It is definitely a rare occurence to encounter this hue of fluorescence. Probably a good omen...

lacina

Shiny_Rock
I had the same experience with a stone I sold before the holidays,...
In a years this was the first one of this size I have seen.
It was 1.12ct H/si1. I didn't know what to make of it, the stone had definitely redish flueorescence displaying spectrum of different colors like you say the yellow-orange, hut before I could spent some time to look at it closely it was sold,... The color was "H" but in my opinion the grade was not correct,... Briefly checked under a diamond light it looked like "G". It was a gorgeous diamond and the fluorescence didn't take away from it's beauty. Alltough, in lower colors like "H" I prefer slight blue fluorescence. The Blue does improve the color. The red IMO lowered the apperarance of the color when viewed at daylight...

George

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Lacina Marty Haske maintains GIA are grading with unfiltered UV, so a blue fluoro G stone might grade as F by GIA and the red would grade as H. but when you use the GIA filtered light source they would all be G.

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
Red fluorescence is not common - the Hope diamond is the best example I can think of.

Personally, I'd rather have a red diamond which fluoresces blue, than a blue diamond which fluoresces red.
lickout.gif
naughty.gif

Regards,

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Holy smokes Gary, I forgot about that! The Hope Diamond flouresces red...

Isn't that weird, as in an exclamation mark on an already unbelievable diamond with an even more unbelievable history?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results