shape
carat
color
clarity

Flower help please!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

basil

Brilliant_Rock
My brother is getting married in July, at a waterfront venue. He and his fiancee are using the same florist I used for my wedding in September, and she is great, but they are having trouble nailing down the details.

The main problem is that their colors are dark blue ("navy but not too dark navy") and white. And they have refused to consider any sort of accent color, except maybe silver printing on the invites. So the florist gave them a quote for brilliant blue hydrangeas, to find that they are funeral flowers in the bride's country. So no hydrangeas.

And apparently, there are no other dark blue flowers. The bride's requests are that her bouquet be different from the bridesmaids in composition as well as in size, and that her bouquet not be too white because she is worried it won't stand out against her dress. For whatever reason, they then decided that she would have purple in her bouquet. And now they have asked for my opinion on the following from the florist:

Bride- Very full, fluffy bouquet, perfectly round in shape, made of white lisianthus, posey calla and pops of white Akito and sweetheart roses. Pops of deep purple lisianthus throughout. Stems will be wrapped in a satin ribbon with pearl pins up the back.

Bridesmaids - Perfectly round contrasting bouquet of white roses, lisianthus and chrysanthemum with blue statice accents. Stems will be wrapped in a satin ribbon at base with just a bit exposed at the bottom.

Centerpieces - Unique glass container overfilled with a romantic mix of Akito roses, sweetheart roses, chrysanthemum, blue statice and pops of lemon leaf greenery. Accents of white dendrobium orchids for a touch of glam!

My feeling is that the purple in the bride's bouquet is not different enough from the blue statice in the bridesmaids' bouquets. Plus, since the bridesmaids are wearing dark blue dresses, I think that whatever blue color in those bouquets might kind of clash. I would tell them to pick an accent color and use that (bright green, yellow, etc) but so far they have been resistant to that idea.

What do you think of the florist's ideas? Any better ideas??

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
What is the setting for the wedding? Venue? There aren''t a lot of blue options but at least for the centerpieces I just wanted to throw out using blueberries and blackberries. Actually, I''ve seen a lot of blackberries in bouquets latley. Let me look around a bit and see what I find.

Oh, there is always the anemone flower with the navy center however they tend to be hard to find as well as expensive. Let me see what I can come up with.

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
Here is an anemone board. Martha stewart weddings had a great picture of one last summer with a navy and blue stripped ribbon but I can''t find the picture.

em1anemone.jpg

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
anemone''s seem to very popular for navy weddings.

em1anemone2.jpg

basil

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Emerald! I''ll have to run the anemones by him...I think they look really cool but I don''t know if that''s his style. Are the centers more blue or more black?

Here is his venue. New England waterfront, historic but a little country-club-ish.

vsclbu.jpg

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
The centers are blue and I think the bouquets with just the anemones are amazing. I''m still looking for more options for you.

em1bluepurple.jpg

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What about Irises? They come in many different shades of blue, from baby blue to navy. The problem will be whether or not they are in season in July. The dutch iris will have yellow in the center, but there are some german and siberian irises that are very deep blue and have no yellow in them at all. I don''t know if they''re ever used in bridal bouquets.

For accents, blue hyacinths or blue grape hyacinths would be really pretty.

Finally, delphiniums come in many shades of blue.

If you scroll down on this link, you will see a couple of blue bouquets with dephiniums and blue grape hyacinths. They also recommend blue thistle for accents. Which might be really easy to come by in July. (I think the blue bouquet is actually someone''s avatar here...)

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was going to suggest delphinium as well. I love the anemones though!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results