shape
carat
color
clarity

Flooring. Luxury... vinyl!?

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Susie, that floor looks awesome! Thank you for posting about it, I am going to look into it. Currently, we have a lot of tile-almost 2000 sq feet. We will have to have it removed and I know that will be a huge pain, but I am so tired of it. I hate cleaning it. I scrub it with the tile machine and then run a steam machine over it, and at least three times a year I have it professionally done. That and the carpet it going. Nightmare, all of it.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I need to update this thread!!

The flooring is in!! (Mostly!)... And we LOVE it!!!! We did the entire first floor.

It looks great, it sounds great, it's completely waterproof, it's a breeze to clean, I've been dragging heavy furniture all over it for days and there isn't a scratch to be found...

The dogs haven't figured out that they can't abort mid-gallop the way they used to. I think they're probably the only ones who miss the carpet.

Pics tomorrow!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I need to update this thread!!

The flooring is in!! (Mostly!)... And we LOVE it!!!! We did the entire first floor.

It looks great, it sounds great, it's completely waterproof, it's a breeze to clean, I've been dragging heavy furniture all over it for days and there isn't a scratch to be found...

The dogs haven't figured out that they can't abort mid-gallop the way they used to. I think they're probably the only ones who miss the carpet.

Pics tomorrow!!

Ooh congrats @yssie! I have liked the look of this flooring very much and it has come a long way from the prototypes. We only have hardwood in our homes but definitely should we ever need to replace them (and I can convince my dh the purist) I would absolutely go for this. Especially with 4 cats one of whom goes outside the litter box now (due to the behavioral issues that can accompany advancing age).

Looking forward to your photos and congratulations!:appl:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been keeping an eye on this thread. Not that I would change out my floors right now, but def. something in the future.

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't wait to see!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@yssie, I hope you post a photo of your new floors completed. I have looked at the colors and I am stuck in the land of indecision. On the one hand, I like the grayer tones, but I feel like it is a very trendy color that might look dated in a few years. Does anyone have opinions about that?

Side note: I saw my above post that autocorrect changed from Yssie to Susie. Hate that. My apologies.:cry:

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@luv2sparkle
I have had the very same thoughts and frustration about the gray tones. I have been "mulling" over colors for over a year. I really need to just make a decision already!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just ordered 9 samples from Coretec. I hope they are large enough to get a feel for the color.

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@luv2sparkle
I'll look forward to your take on the colors.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@yssie - Congrats! So glad your flooring is done and you love it! Can't wait for pics.

@luv2sparkle - I understand your dilemma. Right now I am a bit envious of my friend's grey tone laminate floors that look like beautiful wood. Grey tones are very peaceful and are in style right now. Still, I love century homes with their gorgeous brown hardwood floors and stained oak woodwork. That brown wood look has stood the test of time and is classic.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Handful of quick phone pics. I'll take some (hopefully more flattering!) photos once everything's done - right now everything's smudged, waxy, unlined, and coated in drywall and paint debris :geek2:

Our walls are tones of peach, our fireplaces have blue/grey stone with a good amount of brown veining, and our furniture is mostly warm, dark wood. The vinyl we chose (Margate Oak - COREtec Plus) works well for us in terms of colour - over an expanse of room it presents slightly lighter and cooler than the sample suggested, and the lightly distressed finish looks "deliberate" than "my first log cabin". The pattern shift across planks is the one thing that could be improved, IMO - there's just enough variance that you don't really notice the floor at all - it's neither overly-uniform nor overly-patchy. You can definitely find pattern repetition if you look for it, though, especially over larger areas... kinda ensures it won't ever pass for natural wood!

We weren't sure what the subfloor situation under the 20 year old carpet would be - luckily, it turned out to be quite even and in good condition, minimal work required. Very happy with our decision not to go with natural wood! Which is something I honestly wouldn't have dreamt of saying just a few months ago!! Both of us work full-time, and with seven animals (two large dogs, five cats, two of which regularly boycott their litterboxes) - scratch-proof, liquid-proof, warp-proof, stain-proof, and ultra-low-maintenance are top priorities... so far this stuff is living up to the hype!

Daylight
IMG_2060.JPG

Pattern variation
IMG_2062.JPG

Indoors at night. The joints between planks are subtle - neither wide enough nor deep enough to collect dirt or funnel liquid!
IMG_2063.JPG

Kitchen colours, for reference. Obviously very much a WIP! Pre- lighting, fixtures, and the remaining two-thirds of our cabinetry and counters behind where I took this pic from... Always wanted a fireplace in the kitchen, finally got my fireplace in the kitchen ::)
2.jpg

1.jpg

Last edited:

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The house we just bought had one laminate wood look floor in the basement. Apparently it waa the devil to remove. I was not impressed with it and I hate the feeling of stepping on plastic. I actually try to limit my exposure to plastics in general. I prefer natural materials whenever possible. And wood floors are easy to clean .

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks great Yssie.

jamesallenrings

Rough_Rock
I also vote for vinyl. I wouldn't worry about the "possible reduction in home value" - if you decide to sell, there's a good chance that you would have to replace tile or hardwood floors before putting it on the market because of the wear and tear animals will cause. Vinyl will hold up well and the samples you provided look great!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They look gorgeous @yssie! I think I ordered your color in a sample. I can’t wait till they arrive.

I don’t worry at all about these floors being an issue when selling a house. I am pretty convinced they will hold up well. Right now I have a slate look porcelain tile that is going to be a bugger to get off my slab foundation but I am going to do it. No matter what floor you put in, some will like it and some won’t. Even if everyone loved a wood floor there is no guarantee that a buyer would like the color. This vinyl floor will be a heck of a lot easier to remove than a tile floor, for sure.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely! Your bear is adorable!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results