shape
carat
color
clarity

Floating diamond necklace

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
Another random question that I've been meaning to post.........

I love the look of a solataire diamond that seems to be magically hanging without a chain. But how do I get that invisible chain look? Would I buy white gold? Or is silver better? Or something else? And how thin or what style should it be in (rope/chain etc)?

I want to experiment with jewerly styles now and go visit my gown's sample next week perhaps......

Thank you for any help and/or for pointing me in the right direction!!

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
They used to do that with microfilament. Think thin fishing line. I don''t know that I''d trust a real diamond to it myself, but the look is/was very popular in costume jewelry. I do think white gold blends better with my skin, but it''s not invisible by any means. I guess which would be best depends on your skin tone.

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/8/2007 9:49:52 AM
Author: sumbride
They used to do that with microfilament. Think thin fishing line. I don't know that I'd trust a real diamond to it myself, but the look is/was very popular in costume jewelry. I do think white gold blends better with my skin, but it's not invisible by any means. I guess which would be best depends on your skin tone.
Hi Sumbride
1.gif
Is microfilament some type of metal? Can I go into a jewerly store and ask for this type of necklace? I think white gold looks nicer on my skin, too.....but I don't think it looks invisible......so I guess I just try different ones and see. And you make a good point about a real diamond.........any alternative suggestions? THankyou!!!

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
No, microfilament isn''t metal. It''s a plastic, like fishing line. I''ve seen it used a lot with pearls and sometimes with crystals, but I don''t think they use it on real diamonds... or at least I haven''t seen it. Department stores were the main source a few years ago. Don''t know if it''s "in" now or not.

You might want to post this over in Rocky Talky. They''ll know more about what you can find in a real jewlery store. Good luck!

psaddict

Shiny_Rock
I would imagine if you got a really thin/delicate white gold chain, and had a diamond in a substantial setting on the chain, it would look like the diamond & setting were "floating" because they would really pop on such a small chain. A lot of department stores usually have a section where they have gold chains in all kinds of sizes, you could try on the smallest ones and see if they disappear on your neck the way you''d like.

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
psaddict~ I just thought of that.....that if the pendant and the chain have enough contrast then it would appear to float. Plus, I really like the idea of having white gold rather than microfliment (sp?) around my neck :)

sumbride~ I keep forgetting this IS a diamond forum lol. thank you for reminding me!!! :)

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the style that looks most like a floating diamond is a three-prong martini pendant. I just bought one myself with a thin white gold chain, not sure how thin, though. All I see is diamond when I wear it.

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
Kim~that sounds lovely :) I will check that combo out for sure
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results