shape
carat
color
clarity

Flat iron recommendations for fine hair

soocool

Ideal_Rock
DD's cheap Revlon flatiron is on its last legs as she texted me this morning. (translation: Christmas is coming and it would make a nice preent)

She has fine hair that is long (down to her bust) with no layers. She did mention that she would like one that she can set the temperature so she doesn't fry her hair. I have been checking out the Solia http://www.amazon.com/Solia-Tourmaline-Ceramic-Flat-Iron/dp/B0002TSCZY
Any recommendation? Thanks.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love my Chi. Still going strong after 6 years.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
Tacori E-ring|1322927368|3073448 said:
I love my Chi. Still going strong after 6 years.

I have been reading a lot about the Chi and the reviews have not been the best.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Really? Hmmm...I love mine. I have fine hair and it straightens with the Chi quickly and gets really shiny. I had a cheapo one before and it would NOT straighten. Didn't get hot enough or something. When this one dies (like I said it is 6 years old) I will replace it with another Chi. That's how much I like it.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
I have a GHD one. My hairdresser bought it for me (I of course paid her back) at her discount from where her salon gets their supplies. I don't use it often because I don't want to damage my hair, but when I do, its works amazing. I've had it a few years.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love my GHD's. I've had mine for years. They do get very hot and you can't control the temperature. I have very unruly and rebellious hair and they make it look great. I would think it would be very easy to straighten fine hair with them.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
Tacori E-ring|1322928178|3073461 said:
Really? Hmmm...I love mine. I have fine hair and it straightens with the Chi quickly and gets really shiny. I had a cheapo one before and it would NOT straighten. Didn't get hot enough or something. When this one dies (like I said it is 6 years old) I will replace it with another Chi. That's how much I like it.

I have read a lot about problems with the cord and the unit stops heating. DD's roomate says she went through 2 last year and she thinks this one is not going to last either.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
Maisie|1322933089|3073510 said:
I love my GHD's. I've had mine for years. They do get very hot and you can't control the temperature. I have very unruly and rebellious hair and they make it look great. I would think it would be very easy to straighten fine hair with them.

I'll check the GHDs, but DD did say she wants to be able to control the temp. Oh why can't she just tell me which one she wants?! ;(

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
My stylist recommends the Chi; my sister and several friends have them and everryone loves them. I'm surprised you found negative reviews, I've never heard anything but good things about them!

soocool

Ideal_Rock
aviastar|1322934782|3073524 said:
My stylist recommends the Chi; my sister and several friends have them and everryone loves them. I'm surprised you found negative reviews, I've never heard anything but good things about them!
something about the cord going bad is what I have been reading and DD's roommate saying the same thing.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would definitely do Chi provided it is an authentic Chi. I think some of the websites sell knock offs that they are promoting as authentic. I think they are fabulous!

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
soocool|1322935478|3073536 said:
aviastar|1322934782|3073524 said:
something about the cord going bad is what I have been reading and DD's roommate saying the same thing.

Interesting! Never heard that, but it goes to show that anything you choose is always a bit of a gamble!

soocool

Ideal_Rock
MissGotRocks|1322937618|3073548 said:
I would definitely do Chi provided it is an authentic Chi. I think some of the websites sell knock offs that they are promoting as authentic. I think they are fabulous!

DD just called me after getting her haircut and the stylist also recommended the Chi. He also said beware of fakes sold over the internet. It could be the fakes that people are reviewing and not knowing about it.

So DD is ok with the CHI now. Any particular model that won't cost and arm or a leg?

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock

soocool

Ideal_Rock
Tacori E-ring|1322942868|3073583 said:
They seem to have good deals at Ulta and always have coupons.

http://www.ulta.com/flat-irons

I have the 1" black one. Not sure if they have different model numbers but Ulta has them in different colors/patterns. I did not know there were fakes. Guess I got lucky!

ETA: this looks like the one I have http://www.ulta.com/ulta/browse/productDetail.jsp?productId=xlsImpprod3850103

I will try to get to an Ulta some time this week and check them out. Thanks!

ChloeTheGreat

Brilliant_Rock
Chi. All the way. My previous one lasted for 6 years. Just recently got a newer model.

Get one from Bed Bath and Beyond with a 20% off coupon you get in the mail!

shihtzulover

Brilliant_Rock
I am kind of a flat iron fanatic. These are the ones that I've tried:

1. Chi Original
2. Chi Turbo
3. The Big Chi
4. Original Croc
5. T3 Mane Tamer
6. Remington Shine Therapy
7. Remington Frizz Therapy
8. Remington Pearl
9. The Instyler (not sure if this would be considered a true flat iron or not)
10. Babyliss Pro TT
11. Sedu Pro Ionic Ceramic Tourmaline (not the Revolution)

I've found that a lot of these flat irons seem pretty comparable to me, but I'm sure that it depends on one's hair type. My own hair is between my shoulders and bra-strap length, highlighted blonde, and somewhat dry and damaged from having it highlighted, then going to brunette, and then going back to blonde highlights. It's also more fine than course, but thicker than average.

Overall, I think that I like my Sedu the best. It has a temperature control with a lot of choices, which I love, and it's available in 1" and 1.5". They also make a model called the Revolution, but I don't know how it compares.

For awhile I thought that Chi was the best brand, but then I branched out - now I'm kind of on the fence about them. From what I've heard, Chi used to be a lot better, but then they outsourced to a new company or something along those lines - I'm not sure if that's true or not, though. Like I said, they are pretty good in my opinion, but not my first choice anymore.

I also really like my Croc, but it has titanium plates, so that's a little bit different. I think that there may be some controversy regarding titanium plates, because I've heard that it's easier to damage your hair with them, so some experts won't recommend them for everyday use. Also with the Croc, there seem to be a lot of issues with them breaking after just a handful of months - several reviewers complain about this. I can't comment on that yet, because I've only had mine for a couple of months now, and I don't use it often enough to know. I've heard that the Babyliss Pro Nano Titanium is a good alternative option.

For a cheaper option, I would pick one of the Remington models that I listed. They are all well-reviewed and I was impressed with how well them performed, especially given the prices.

Something to consider about the T3 Mane Tamer is that it has vented plates. This apparently means that it's a 'wet to dry' iron, although from what I understand, you should never let a flat iron touch your hair when it's wet. Regardless, sometimes I've been in a hurry and I've used it when my hair was a bit damp. I know that it's bad, but I feel like it's at least good that it has the vented plates.

The Babyliss Pro TT actually emits steam when you use it, which I believe is supposed to help smooth your hair. I'm not really sure that's the best idea (adding moisture to the flat ironing process), but it has really good reviews, so I decided to try it. I only used it a few times, and I kind of like it, but I don't' really see a difference as opposed to using a regular flat iron, and I was worried about the steam damaging my hair.

The Instyler was interesting, but overall, I didn't really like it a lot. It may just be that I'm not talented enough with my hair, but it just seemed clumsy and pointless, so after awhile, I put it aside.

I have never tried the GHD, but that's because it does not have a temperature control, and I've heard the horror stories about it frying some women's hair. The original Chi does not have a temperature control, either. It was my first flat iron ever, so I didn't really know about the options when I bought it.

The Croc and the Sedu both go down to very low temperatures, which I like, because I'm currently using about 280 degrees on my hair. The Remington models go down to 300, which is pretty good I think, but just not quite as low as I'd like. I'm not sure about the Mane Tamer - it has a dial that you can use to control the temperature based upon your hair type, but I'm not sure about the specific temperature settings. I can't remember the specifics of the other ones that I posted, but I think that they all (except the Chi Original) have a temperature control of some sort.

shihtzulover

Brilliant_Rock
soocool|1322942388|3073578 said:
MissGotRocks|1322937618|3073548 said:

DD just called me after getting her haircut and the stylist also recommended the Chi. He also said beware of fakes sold over the internet. It could be the fakes that people are reviewing and not knowing about it.

So DD is ok with the CHI now. Any particular model that won't cost and arm or a leg?

If you're looking at the Chi, i would still definitely not get one without a temperature control. I'm not sure if the Chi Turbo is still available or not, but it does have a temperature control. So does the Big Chi, if you're looking for a flat iron with larger plates.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for your recommendations. I saw these 2 online and sent the links to DD. You can adjust the temps on both, but it doesn't specify how low.

CHI: http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=17214390

SEDU: http://www.ulta.com/ulta/browse/productDetail.jsp?skuId=2216698&productId=xlsImpprod1260472&navAction=push&navCount=1&categoryId=cat1000001&CAWELAID=772014595

They both are well priced and I know I can use a 20% coupon at Bed Bath and Beyond. I may have a coupon somewhere for ULTA and I feel comfortable ordering online from both vendors if I needed to (if the store did not have them in stock).

lulu66

Brilliant_Rock
Tacori E-ring|1322928178|3073461 said:

i feel the same way about mine. went through several cheapies & decided a few years ago i wanted a good one for christmas. was between paul mitchell & chi. i went with chi & have loved it ever since :D
my mom purchased mine from overstock (it was not a refurbished one) and i've had zero problems with it in the 3+ years i've owned it.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
I ordered the Sedu online at Ulta's for $119.99 less $15.00 for a $75 online purchase and I will be getting an additional 15% back for shopping thru Discovercard online. (+ free shipping) I am officially done Christmas shopping! :appl: Now where's the wine when you need it?

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Babyliss. I've had it for 5 years and both DD and I use it all the time. I like it because it doesn't give you random flyaway hairs and you can control the temp. I got mine at BBB with a coupon. I've heard great things about Chi too.

chupiechow

Rough_Rock
I've tried and had them all but I ALWAYS go back to my Chi....Simply it's the best. I thought I liked the Sedu at first, but for some reason the Chi does the best job.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results