shape
carat
color
clarity

Fix or replace fridge?

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The refrigerator in our kitchen is about six years old. The icemaker broke last year, the freezer stopped working last weekend, and the fridge stopped working today.

We live in an older home, where the space for the fridge isn’t very large, so we don’t have a lot of options, especially if we want an ice maker and water dispenser. We have a Kenmore elite (which is actually an LG) but I’m just not sure that it’s worth fixing. I looked around online, and there’s one store that has a fridge that would fit that can be delivered next weekend. It’s a Whirlpool but I haven’t looked up reviews yet.

If it were you, would you try to repair, or would you just go straight to replacement? I always like to save a buck, but I’m leaning towards just ordering the new one and calling it a day since none of it works.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My counter depth Jenn Air died after 12 years. Not once did I have any issues. I Contemplated repairing it but it would cost 500 and no guarantees. So after a lot of shopping and realizing that you can only purchase one with a 5 year warranty—I decided to buy a Samsung from Costco. I’m glad that I did bc at least I have warranty for 5 years and the fridge only cost double what I would have paid to repair! I was tempted to buy a high end one with all the bells and whistles but why spend triple if I might still deal with headaches? I mention that bc my sister and mom spent a couple grand on theirs and they turned out to be lemons!

Last edited:

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I agree with simple - I just want one that works!

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd get a new one, given that it is having one problem after another.

We have a small kitchen and when our fridge died in 2016 I found one (and only one) side by side fridge that would fit the space. We bought it. It's been okay but it's very slightly less roomy than the one it replaced.
C'est la vie.

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@pearlsngems - similar here - a side by side is all I can get if I want ice and water. I’m inclined to just replace. I did a search on a repair site and the current model of fridge I have is mentioned often as an unreliable one.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Repair it yourself.
Google the problem.
Likely it's not rocket science

I LOVE doing these things myself.
My Kenmore fridge is 21 years old and going strong after a few DIY repairs. :dance:

I think cleaning the coils every 6 months is the key to long fridge life.
With clean coils the fridge works less, effectively younger. :clap:

The purpose of coils is to dissipate heat.
But when covered in dust they can't.
Dust functions as insulation.

Last edited:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Repair it yourself.
Google the problem.

My Kenmore fridge is 21 years old and going strong after a few DIY repairs. :dance:

With clean coils the fridge works less.

worth a repeat.
Even if you cant fix your own you can clean your coils before it goes out!
Newer fridges are even worse than older ones because they have much less area to dissipate heat.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Check Costco to see how much a fridge that fits would cost. Appliances. Sheesh. I hate replacing them.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Id at least get a quote to get it fixed
my other half would side with Kenny and Karl
Actually ours needs a new thermostat he says ..and he's looked on u tube and is confident
Im presently using the beer fridge in the laundry which is too small but im now so glad we kept it when we moved

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Id at least get a quote to get it fixed
my other half would side with Kenny and Karl
Actually ours needs a new thermostat he says ..and he's looked on u tube and is confident
Im presently using the beer fridge in the laundry which is too small but im now so glad we kept it when we moved

I’m also using the beer fridge in the laundry room!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ugh sorry this happened. I would probably do whichever was quicker if I didn't have a fridge or freezer. Which would be to order a new one and get it next weekend if possible.

We did repair our Subzero a few times over the past 16 years but that is because nothing else but a Subzero would fit into that space (48" and shallow as subzeros are) and everything can be fixed and replaced in a Subzero according to my DH. And I am not getting another Subzero because their price is astronomical now. IMO.

Just asked Greg and he said those kind of fridges aren't really meant to be fixed and the general life span for them is like 5-7 years. So his advice is get the new one.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I’m also using the beer fridge in the laundry room!

I hope your's is inside the house
its a pain in the rear having to go out the backdoor to get the milk everytime he wants a cup of tea

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some designs cannot be repaired when they go wrong, as informed to me by an refrigeration engineer, when I asked him to have a look at my Smeg while he was servicing my air con at home.

The cooling panel at the back of the fridge was laminated, and once it started to de-laminate and lost its ability to cool efficiently/effectively, that's it, it had to go. It was a stylish fridge/freezer that served me well for just over 10 years.

I got a Samsung based on his recommendation on good brands to buy.

DK :))

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Our fridge started playing up 2 months out of warranty, then we went into lockdow
It was possibly faulty just still under warranty
I accused the supermarket (politely) of sending us milk that had been unrefridgered as it was going off before its due date .....3 weeks in a row
Sigh

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I just pulled it out - no exposed coils to vacuum!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Whats the brand and model # there is most likely a tag on the wall of the fridge as you open the door. Some have the tag in the freezer.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’d probably replace it. Appliances aren’t built to last sadly and unless you can figure out a diy repair refrigerators are expensive to service.

On my block everyone has the same fridge (installed by the builder) and many of them failed within 5 years. One person got it replaced under warranty, I know of at least 2 more that bought new ones because it was cheaper or less hassle than repairing. Ours has given us small hassles already, we are hoping it lasts a few more years because nothing else will fit that cabinet space well.

They fail in a progressive way like you describe, first a small problem with the ice, then a fan in the freezer, then the freezer stops working, etc.

Longwinded way of saying if it’s going to be a hassle to fix it may save you more in the end to replace it now. A bummer because of the waste of resources all around.

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The refrigerator in our kitchen is about six years old. The icemaker broke last year, the freezer stopped working last weekend, and the fridge stopped working today.

We live in an older home, where the space for the fridge isn’t very large, so we don’t have a lot of options, especially if we want an ice maker and water dispenser. We have a Kenmore elite (which is actually an LG) but I’m just not sure that it’s worth fixing. I looked around online, and there’s one store that has a fridge that would fit that can be delivered next weekend. It’s a Whirlpool but I haven’t looked up reviews yet.

If it were you, would you try to repair, or would you just go straight to replacement? I always like to save a buck, but I’m leaning towards just ordering the new one and calling it a day since none of it works.

I'd get a new one. I hear that the LGs are hard to fix, and they are tempermental. I have GE and I've been happy with it (but it's relatively new), and all of the clients I've had that had Whirlpool said they cause the least headaches.

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks everyone. I think I’m going to replace it. I hate to spend the $ but I don’t want to put money into a dud. @violet3 as Whirlpool is the one maker I can find of one that will fit that has a ice maker and a water dispenser, I’m glad to know you’ve heard good things.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Repair it yourself.
Google the problem.

With clean coils the fridge works less, effectively younger. :clap:

We took ours out to clean the dust off the coil, one of the neighbors who replaced theirs suggested it.

It had been wedged into the cabinet so tightly by the builder that it took us 2 days to get it back in (we had to sand down the cabinets)

the built in fridges have an even harder time venting heat and completely emptying, drying, cleaning, dusting every so often is probably the best we can do to keep it running as long as possible.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would replace too. I hate our LG fridge, but am looking forward to an LG washer and dryer. Look at all the reviews. We couldn't buy what we wanted for a fridge simply because our front door limited the size we could get. Absolutely need water and ice on the door now. Hate side by side though.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would replace too. I hate our LG fridge, but am looking forward to an LG washer and dryer. Look at all the reviews. We couldn't buy what we wanted for a fridge simply because our front door limited the size we could get. Absolutely need water and ice on the door now. Hate side by side though.

How is that going @lyra ? Our dryer is still (knock wood) working and while Greg has the part we need I am not ready for him to take apart the dryer just yet lol. What a pain when the appliances stop working. Our dishwasher now needs a new part and Greg ordered it and it is here but again while that is working I don't want him taking apart the dishwasher. We have the warranty on the dishwasher still but I freakin hate waiting for repair people so he is probably going to do it himself. Hopefully he will be able to on both machines. Anyway hoping your washer dryer purchase goes smoothly and I still like the LG machines and will get the LG washer dryer when we have to get new machines.

@eapj good luck and hope the new fridge/freezer works well. I definitely think you are making the best decision under the circumstances. They do not make fridges built to last anymore like they used to. :/

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@missy - it’s such a bummer to know that appliances are nearly throwaway now. I’ve had more than one repairman tell me not to bother fixing something. :(

Fingers crossed the new fridge lasts more than 6 years! And good luck with your appliances!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy - it’s such a bummer to know that appliances are nearly throwaway now. I’ve had more than one repairman tell me not to bother fixing something. :(

Fingers crossed the new fridge lasts more than 6 years! And good luck with your appliances!

It is, I agree. Honestly my dh thought I was crazy when I insisted on buying the Subzero in 2003/4 and while yes it’s needed repair over the years at least it can (so far knock wood that continues) be repaired. Most appliances are built to last less than 7 years now. It’s pathetic. Planned obsolescence. I, for one, would be happy to spend more if I could get quality appliances that would last. But they really are far and few between and I wouldn’t buy another Subzero. Probably.

Thanks for the good luck and same to you!

EF6D46BD-EA0B-4060-9776-D85F525245B1.jpeg

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy We did the $100 repair to the washer, which slightly helped. But I am fully expecting to have to order the LG set soon. BTW, it's $2400 for the pair here (the 3800 series as 3900 series didn't make it to Canada yet). If we wanted that little pedestal washer, that's an extra $800. Not including taxes. I feel that it's a bit gougy, no?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have a 20-year-old Kenmore. The ice maker has gone out twice I believe but my DH said that's a normal thing to happen after they are a certain
age. The Fridge itself went out once because we get a lot of power hits. Something inside burnt out and just needed replacing.

I have been considering replacing it but the dang then wont die. Might regulate it to the garage for a second fridge.

We're another family who has a beer fridge in the laundry room. It's really too small...Like a medium size dorm fridge. The only thing I use it for
are drinks.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wish we still had Sears and Kenmore and all their other brands. It was great to deal with them over the years.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy We did the $100 repair to the washer, which slightly helped. But I am fully expecting to have to order the LG set soon. BTW, it's $2400 for the pair here (the 3800 series as 3900 series didn't make it to Canada yet). If we wanted that little pedestal washer, that's an extra $800. Not including taxes. I feel that it's a bit gougy, no?

I don't remember the cost of the LG 3900 washer dryer with pedestal. Just did a quick search on Costco and cannot find that one. It doesn't sound crazy for the washer dryer but $800 for the pedestal washer does sound high. IIRC the July 4th sale had the pedestal washer for $400...but I might be misremembering. It could have been less. It def wasn't $800. Nope.

Good for you getting a temp fix and hope it holds. Fingers crossed. I''ll see if I can find the cost here for the same combo and let you know.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy That mini pedestal washer is ridiculous. You could buy another regular washer, top loader, for that price. Very gimicky. It wouldn't even fit much at all.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@lyra on the LG site the washer is on sale $600 (at $1199 for the washer) off tho I know you cannot get the 3900 washer in Canada. Would you be able to purchase the 3800 from the LG site?

OK here's the 3700 series at Costco with pedestal washer for $2299.

Found the 3900 series from AJ Madison. It is on sale and the cost is $2763 USD and according to the website that is a savings of over $1100.

ETA: looks like the sidekick pedestal is only an extra $200 or so!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results