shape
carat
color
clarity

Fitting problems/issues and AceP/lia fitting advice?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Hi Ladies

I had my first fitting and while I love my dress, I''m worried about the fit around the waist! It seems to just lay funny, and on all of other pics of it on others it does not lay so funny. I know it is because it still needs to be taken in around the bust so that will help hold it up, but I just worry about these wrinkles/lines around the waist not going away. Any adivce or ideas what it is doing this on me? It it too tight? I am trying to lose a few lbs before then so hopefully that will help, but I don''t quite know why it wrinkles like that on me!

Any help apprecaited! AceP, what was the dress like on you prior to being fitted?

Also, you can see my belly button through the material but she is going to put a piece of fabric there so that you can no longer see it (i hope!)

Liadressmary.JPG

KCCutie

Brilliant_Rock
Quick question....how tall are you?

When dresses pucker like that on me it''s b/c I''m short waisted. To fix it I either have to pull the top up or let out the hips to let it lays lower on my hips.

For you if the bust is a little big then it''s probably just gravity. Once the top is pulled up in it''s rightful place the wrinkles should go away.

What did they say about it at the fitting?

Date: 6/12/2008 9:59:55 AM
Author: KCCutie
Quick question....how tall are you?

When dresses pucker like that on me it''s b/c I''m short waisted. To fix it I either have to pull the top up or let out the hips to let it lays lower on my hips.

For you if the bust is a little big then it''s probably just gravity. Once the top is pulled up in it''s rightful place the wrinkles should go away.

What did they say about it at the fitting?
Hi KC - yes, I am definitely very short, so maybe that is the problem. The woman said there will be less wrinkling around the waist when it fits properly at the top to hold it up, but the woman didn''t speak english all that much and I think she said that she could not guarantee that the lines would go away. Ugh, not good! The lines look really bad and like it fits poorly...

Maybe I will ask them if the hips need to be let out a bit? THanks for your suggestions!

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
I love the Lia ::sigh::.

I think your seamstress is right, the girls look like they''re riding a little low and causing the waist to slump. Is that the bra you were planning on wearing? You might want to look into a long-line or into having something stitched into the gown itself. My gown had an underwire bra stitched into the front and I swear, my rack has never looked that good before or since!

Date: 6/12/2008 10:13:07 AM
Author: mercoledi
I love the Lia ::sigh::.

I think your seamstress is right, the girls look like they''re riding a little low and causing the waist to slump. Is that the bra you were planning on wearing? You might want to look into a long-line or into having something stitched into the gown itself. My gown had an underwire bra stitched into the front and I swear, my rack has never looked that good before or since!
Merco! I TOTALLY agree that the bra is not working! The seamstress was not helpful at all and said they could do cups but obviously that would not give me any support. I really need support and they had nothing there that worked for me. A longline won''t work because you will be able to see it in the waist.

I am so curious about how your bra was stitched in?? Did it have a back? How exactly was it stitched in?? Please help! Haha, thanks :)

Merco, can you recommend the bra you used that you loved so much too? Thanks again!

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
So, my dress was pretty much backless and the cups that my seamstress put in were a joke (that was the least of my problems with her) so while my now DH was getting the car for our elopent trip, I cut the back off of a gap body strapless bra that I had and didn't mind destroying and whip-stitched it into the front of my dress, anchoring it just below the straps and at the boning on the sides so that it wouldn't show. I still can't believe it worked, because I really need more support that woman my age should require!

If your dress is a light satin, it might be trickier, but should still work since you have so much detail up top. Maybe you could bring in a sacrificial bra and talk to your seamstress about it?

AceP

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/12/2008 9:47:51 AM
Author:Future Mrs Polka Dot
Hi Ladies

I had my first fitting and while I love my dress, I'm worried about the fit around the waist! It seems to just lay funny, and on all of other pics of it on others it does not lay so funny. I know it is because it still needs to be taken in around the bust so that will help hold it up, but I just worry about these wrinkles/lines around the waist not going away. Any adivce or ideas what it is doing this on me? It it too tight? I am trying to lose a few lbs before then so hopefully that will help, but I don't quite know why it wrinkles like that on me!

Any help apprecaited! AceP, what was the dress like on you prior to being fitted?

Also, you can see my belly button through the material but she is going to put a piece of fabric there so that you can no longer see it (i hope!)

Hi FMPD - I'm glad I stumbled on here today - I'm not around here that often these days, but a combination of being sick and getting rear-ended in my car last night put me at home today!

Anyway, I hope I can help. You and I have different figures - I'm small-chested with a booty - but I can tell you about my experience. (Also, my dress is Marisa, not the Lia, so the material may be slightly different? Your silk looks perhaps a touch thinner - not sure about that - I've never seen the Lia in real life.)

For reference, here are the pics from my first fitting: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/aceps-dress-pics.78430/.

And, I attached a pic of the real-deal, day-of, that shows the full fit. You can see it's sitting pretty high - right under my underarm, which is where I wanted it. I inadvertently lost a couple of pounds in that last week leading up to the wedding, so it ended up a touch big around the waist area anyway. But I doubt anyone noticed other than me.

I would agree that the dress is sitting lower on you than is ideal. I had the same problem. The seamstress insisted that once she took in the torso/chest area (see above reference to small chest), that would no longer be the case. But, when i went for my last fitting I was still concerned that it was sitting too low, causing some wrinkling. SO - I think I mentioned this to you before - they built me an apparatus. It looked a little like a medieval torture device, but that baby worked like a charm! Basically, they added a thick elastic strap on the inside - think attached to the side of the boob area, right under the strapless bra. it wrapped around my back - it was tight; they made it to my exact 25-inch torso/ribcage measurement - and had a bra-like hook that held it in place. It was genius. My dress is 500 miles away at my mom's house - otherwise I'd take a pic for you. Anyway, I highly recommend this. I don't like strapless dresses, and my fear was that I would be tugging it higher all night. Well, from the time I put it on at 4pm until I ended up drunk running through the sprinklers at 3:30am, I don't think I tugged at it one time!

head-tilt.jpg

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
There''s something similar to what AceP had in this dress if you click on the closeup of the inside. Good idea!

AceP

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Yup, I wore a regular strapless bra and the elastic strap was built into the dress, right under where my bra sat, but this definitely looks like the same idea. It''s all about having that elastic holding it securely in place - especially because it''s such a bottom-heavy dress.

karasue91

Brilliant_Rock
FMPD, you look absolutely FABULOUS in that dress. It looks like it was made for you....I think some minor alterations up top will do wonders.

First thought I had was, have you bought or tried on a strapless Jcrew dress recently? They have these elastic bands on the inside now that attach to the side seams of the dress (on the inside of course), and hook around your back to hold the dress in the right place. They are pretty ingenious, and I am a bit on the bustier side like you are and that little strap works wonders to hold those dresses up on me. Maybe your seamstress can rig up something similar in your dress to help hold the top up?

ETA: ummm so it sounds like i'm describing the EXACT apparatus that Ace and Mercoledi are, hahaha sorry! must read responses more carefully...my second thought below is still original though, i think, lol.

Second thought, have you seen the Spanx that go all the way up to right under your bra? I think that would be the perfect solution to the belly button problem, since it goes up so high no one can see the line under your dress. Here is a link to what I'm talking about: http://www.spanx.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2990096&cp=2992553.3010055&parentPage=family

If only it had a strapless bra attached to it too!! hahaha i bet with a little google searching I could find something like that....

blondie23

Shiny_Rock
I actually did the same thing that AceP did...mine still had a small amount of bunching but it was WAY better than it was before the elastic strap. Also, I didn't wear a strapless bra, only the elastic band underneath that really did the trick of keeping the dress up. Hope that helps.

ETA: sorry these are bad pics. i just got married and haven't received my Pro pics yet. Also, I wore the full body spanx under my dress with the elastic strap.

n60714098_32735450_1891.jpeg

blondie23

Shiny_Rock
and another.

n60714098_32735495_2428.jpeg

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
I would wear one of those bustier-bra thingies under the dress...to smoothe everything out and give you some extra lift on the girls.

Ladies, thank you all SO much for all of your help and suggestions! Ace, I totally forgot that you had already told me about the torture/bra contraption! (I am so fleighty these days!) But I am going to a) go to a new seamstress as I wasn''t happy with this one at all b) describe the bra contraption thingy, and also find some better spanx. The ones I had were just the thin panty hose ones but I think i need the thicker material ones. I think I''m going to need it let out around the hips too so it can fall lower. Thank you guys so much for all of your advice and for the helpful pics/descriptions of the bra attachment thing! :)

Ace and Blondie you guys are STUNNING in the dress!!! I only hope that I can somehow pull it off and look as lovely as you guys do! Darn my large hips (or whatever is causing the problem!!!)

You guys look SO pretty...I love our dress! Please pray that it somehow works on my annoying little torso! :)

AceP

Shiny_Rock
Premium
FMPD, don''t sweat it. You''re almost there, and it''ll look fantastic. Any seamstress worth her thread can rig you up a little apparatus. That, and a pair of high-waist spanx, and you''re good to go... aisle bound!

Thanks, Ace. you are so sweet! I totally forgot to say before - I''m so sorry you got rear ended and are not feeling well! I hope you are feeling a lot better soon! :) That does not sound fun!

Thanks RLG. I had looked at that. And I just don''t know why my dress looks SO different (awful) on me and nice on everyone else!

I''m trying not to have a major breakdown and worry about finding a few dress...Eeeek........

Ok, I''m having a freak out session. Should I get a new dress? You guys can be honest! Is this one fixable even if the seamstress lets it out? Oy.....

karasue91

Brilliant_Rock
OK look at this one http://community.theknot.com/cs/ks/user/page.aspx?username=kelley2be

scroll almost to the bottom and you will see the picture of her in the dress before it was fitted perfectly, and she has the EXACT SAME bunching around the waist that you are worried about. this girl is like a size 00 and she still has the bunching.

go to a different seamstress. the lady i used was really awesome, her name is Ann Hamilton and she works out of her studio in the west village. she is an amazing seamstress and fairly reasonable. OR go back to the salon and use the in-house seamstress. paying more for the in-house seamstress will be far less expensive than buying a new dress.

do NOT buy a new dress, FMPD. that dress is absolutely PERFECT on you, it just needs VERY MINOR alterations and it will be perfect!!! take a trip to bloomingdales today and buy the high-rise spanx and check out the bustiers, they might make one that won't show through the fabric if you wear it under the spanx. i know that is a lot of layers, but it will also get rid of the belly button issue. just check out what they have, bloomingdales has the best lingerie department IMO.....

but first, maybe go get a pedicure to relax and don't worry!!!!! it's honestly such a perfect dress for you!!

ETA: I think another seamstress could make a better bustle too, the train on that dress makes such a beautiful bustle and i don't think the way it's shown does it justice!! Scroll to the bottom of this bio, the bustle is gorgeous: http://community.theknot.com/cs/ks/user/page.aspx?username=kelley2be

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Breath in... and out.

Seriously, the dress looks killer on you. You''ve got all the right curves in all the right places, you just need to get the top adjusted. I bet when that''s lifted the whole belly button issue resolves itself as well. Relax! It''s gorgeous!

Date: 6/14/2008 2:37:34 PM
Author: karasue91
OK look at this one http://community.theknot.com/cs/ks/user/page.aspx?username=kelley2be

scroll almost to the bottom and you will see the picture of her in the dress before it was fitted perfectly, and she has the EXACT SAME bunching around the waist that you are worried about. this girl is like a size 00 and she still has the bunching.

go to a different seamstress. the lady i used was really awesome, her name is Ann Hamilton and she works out of her studio in the west village. she is an amazing seamstress and fairly reasonable. OR go back to the salon and use the in-house seamstress. paying more for the in-house seamstress will be far less expensive than buying a new dress.

do NOT buy a new dress, FMPD. that dress is absolutely PERFECT on you, it just needs VERY MINOR alterations and it will be perfect!!! take a trip to bloomingdales today and buy the high-rise spanx and check out the bustiers, they might make one that won''t show through the fabric if you wear it under the spanx. i know that is a lot of layers, but it will also get rid of the belly button issue. just check out what they have, bloomingdales has the best lingerie department IMO.....

but first, maybe go get a pedicure to relax and don''t worry!!!!! it''s honestly such a perfect dress for you!!

ETA: I think another seamstress could make a better bustle too, the train on that dress makes such a beautiful bustle and i don''t think the way it''s shown does it justice!! Scroll to the bottom of this bio, the bustle is gorgeous: http://community.theknot.com/cs/ks/user/page.aspx?username=kelley2be
Awww, thank you Kara! You made me feel a whole lot better! I was just freaking out that I had picked a dress that was terrible on my body. I think a lot of it is that i was SO unhappy with POB''s seamstress. And for the amount they want to charge me, you would think they would be serving me champagne and pinning my dress with pins made of platinum! LOL!

You are right that MrsKelly''s bio does have those same issues on the sample. I wonder if they came out for her? I bet it is a height thing and lack of a good bra. I did have spanx on, but they were the thin ones. I ordered thick spanx and a super crazy bodysuit/supportive bra. And I''m going to a NEW seamstress next monday, who is a lot more accomodating.

Umm, excellent point about the bustle. And it really infuriates me! The POB woman just started doing the bustle w/o asking me what I wanted and I was like, wait what are the different bustle options? And she says "this is the way we do it - nothing else looks good on this dress." I was so confused and it was an awful experience. (Side note: I was so stressed I actually had to sit down in the dressing room and have a glass of water...it was hot and I was getting all fainty! Haha!) Anyway, that''s just another reason that i was not in love with the in house seamstress. And she was telling me that she could not guarantee that those lines would go away. Oy...

New seamstress, new bra, new spanx...hopefully things will work out :)

**Also, where is that bustle you were talkign about? I don''t see it in the Future Mrs Kelly bio - was it another one? I totally dont lvoe the bustle that I have in my pics and I want something better, so re-send the link if you can?

Thank you again my dear for cheering me uP!

Date: 6/14/2008 3:19:22 PM
Author: mercoledi
Breath in... and out.

Seriously, the dress looks killer on you. You''ve got all the right curves in all the right places, you just need to get the top adjusted. I bet when that''s lifted the whole belly button issue resolves itself as well. Relax! It''s gorgeous!
Thanks merco! You are so sweet and I hope you are right. THank you for making me feel better and for being so sweet! :)

karasue91

Brilliant_Rock
haha oops!! http://community.theknot.com/cs/ks/user/page.aspx?username=rh07

this is the right one, bustle is at the bottom....

I'm surprised POB had such a terrible seamstress!!!! You didn't have to pay her anything for the consultation did you? I think after the dress is altered perfectly, I would write a letter to the manager or something and let her know that you were very unhappy with her and would expect such a high-end salon to have a better seamstress...

I think perhaps you should look at other strapless bras too? The one you have doesn't seem to working as well as it should be....I think that would help too. I'm SOO happy you feel better!!!
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

ETA: I finally found what i was looking for!!! full-body smoother plus strapless bra: http://www.barenecessities.com/Miraclesuit-Extra-Firm-Control-Strapless-Body-Briefer_product_Miraclesuit2665_,search,.htm

Another one, weird pic but this is exactly what i've been looking for for you since you can't have any lines under that thing, yet you need support up there on top!! http://www.barenecessities.com/Body-Wrap-Firm-Control-Strapless-Long-Leg-Body-Briefer_product_TheBodyWrap44304.htm

blondie23

Shiny_Rock
DON''T change the dress. It looks great on you.....I had the same problem and it drove me nuts, but in the end I thought it still looked ok.

In terms of the bustle, I''m attaching some pics of mine. Hope that helps

320_R_D_104.jpg

blondie23

Shiny_Rock

320_R_D_091.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results