shape
carat
color
clarity

First Time Substitute Teaching Tips?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/24/2007 2:40:58 PM
Author: zoebartlett
Yes, in answer to your question above, I use Responsive Classroom. It''s pretty big around this area and I''ve used it since I began teaching. If you ever get a chance to your attend a week-long training session, it''s well worth it (and it looks good on resumes and in interviews too). Here''s the site:
http://www.responsiveclassroom.org. I''ve attended RCI and I''m hoping to either attend the RCII or the literature related session this summer.
One of the teacher''s I''ve been observing uses responsive classroom, I think it''s an interesting philosophy. She''s working towards becoming a certified trainer.

MustangFan

Brilliant_Rock
Kim,

I''m doing my BA online and find it very easy to everyone''s surprise..
I even do work weeks in advance. I will probably do my M.ed online also, what school did you pick? Do you have 12 cr. of student teaching? Some schools that I have looked at want you alreadyto be a teacher, so it''s tough. I''m curious to know what university you picked for this reason.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
MF, I''ve responded twice and it keeps turning into a rant about our educational system, so I''ll keep my answer short. You should check into National University and the University of Phoenix.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Kimberly,

I just wanted to say good luck tomorrow. Have a great day and please let us know how it went.
1.gif

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
zoe, thank you so much for thinking of me! I just got online to look up directions to the school. I''ll let you know how it goes.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Okay, so my first sub experience was, well, it wasn''t! So I showed up 1/2 an hour early, went to the office and told the secretary I was there to sub for Mrs. J and she called Mrs. J who said she hadn''t requested a sub for today, so they hung up and the secretary looked into it further and discovered that I am scheduled to be there tomorrow!! So of course I laugh and say, "well then I guess I''m really early" and she looks at me deadpan and says "we''ll see you tomorrow." I felt like such a moron. My computer won''t allow me to use the subfinder system for some reason, but my husband''s will so he scheduled the job for me and told me it was today. So I get home and tell him what''s happened and we look it up and the system doesn''t indicate the day, it says 2/27 and he just assumed it was Monday for some reason. I think I should add this to the "ever been embarrassed" thread.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hehe!! Well, on the bright side, you know how to get there and you''re prepared! Good luck TOMORROW!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kimberly, Hang in there!
You will be awesome tomorrow!!!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/26/2007 8:11:31 PM
Author: Skippy123
Kimberly, Hang in there!
You will be awesome tomorrow!!!
Ditto!

blingless

Rough_Rock
Hey Kimberly,

"The problem is not that there are problems. The problem is expecting otherwise and thinking that having problems is a problem." -
-- Theodore Rubin

Imagine how valuable that story will be when you're an administrator and need to calm a nervous newbe. Its something you'll be able to enjoy telling over and over. Good luck tomorrow!

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/26/2007 6:21:09 PM
Author: KimberlyH
Okay, so my first sub experience was, well, it wasn''t! So I showed up 1/2 an hour early, went to the office and told the secretary I was there to sub for Mrs. J and she called Mrs. J who said she hadn''t requested a sub for today, so they hung up and the secretary looked into it further and discovered that I am scheduled to be there tomorrow!! So of course I laugh and say, ''well then I guess I''m really early'' and she looks at me deadpan and says ''we''ll see you tomorrow.'' I felt like such a moron. My computer won''t allow me to use the subfinder system for some reason, but my husband''s will so he scheduled the job for me and told me it was today. So I get home and tell him what''s happened and we look it up and the system doesn''t indicate the day, it says 2/27 and he just assumed it was Monday for some reason. I think I should add this to the ''ever been embarrassed'' thread.
Well, i think your joke is funny! Some of those office secretaries can be reeeeaaaalllly rude and nasty...Chin up!!! And good luck tomorrow!

I just found this thread... a little late as you are probably in bed resting up for tomorrow... but GOOD LUCK!!

I am an elementary teacher and I agree with what everyone has been advising you... I might have missed this gem of knowledge, but I think it''s important enough to repeat:

You can NEVER be nice enough to the secretaries and the janitors/custodians!!

It obviously goes without saying that you should introduce yourelf to the adminstrators and any other staff members you come in contact with, but these school employees are invaluable to every teacher! When I was student teaching, my cooperating teacher advised me of this. At the first school I worked at I didn''t really get along with my secretaries - long story but one had made an insulting comment about my car... Anyyway, I was distantly polite at first, and everytime I went to ask a question, I was met with sarcasm/annoyance. I decided to just be friendly and let my grudge go and it made a WORLD of difference. Now, even if I don''t really have time, I make sure to say good morning and ask the secretaries how their day is going. They both turned out to be great to talk to and were really much nicer than I originally thought! I''m sure it depends on the school, but in my elementary school the secretaries are responsible for things ranging from office supply distribution to dismissal procedures to typing up observation reports. Now whenever I need an extra bottle of white out I don''t feel weird asking for it!

As far as the janitor is concerned - you never know when you may need an "emergency clean-up" in your room or help removing a bee (or worse - a rodent!)...

Looking foward to hearing how it went!
25.gif

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Ellen, Blingless, skippy, Miranda and littlemisssunshine, you've made my morning brighter, thank you so much! I still think it's quite comical, and if you knew what a stickler I am for things being done correctly and being ON TIME (it makes DH nuts!) it would make you laugh even harder.

LSS: Thanks for the tips. Those school secretaries and janitors are pretty important people. I love the secretary at the school where I do most of my observations, I'm going to have to work on getting along with this woman. She didn't seem mean, it was just clear that she thought I wasn't the brightest lightbulb in the bunch (which I may have demonstrated yesterday but is far from the truth, I am usually totally on top of things).

Quick, and perhaps silly, do I walk 1st graders to the playground at lunch? And to the gate at the end of the day? I know I pick them up, but I've been observing in older grades and the teachers allow the students to walk themselves to class and to the gate so I'm not sure if I should do the same?

ETA: My dad left me a message last night, it went something like "It's Tuesday in Belgium, have you moved?" or something close to but as random as that, too funny.

jas

Brilliant_Rock
KimberlyH, I would certainly err on the side of caution and walk the kids everywhere. 1st graders fall down. A lot. And they don''t always bounce. Walk ''em down, make a game of it ("Who can walk the quietest? Who can walk like a kitty? Who can walk like the floor is made of pudding?") and avoid any possible problems.

We''re rooting for ya!

Jackie

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Well, no one fell down but there was quite a bit of movement around the classroom and I don''t think I''ve ever heard my name said so much in my life as it was today. Lots of really cute kids, a few that tested me. The teacher didn''t provide me with a schedule, just a list of tasks to complete, I failed a bit in the time management area and we didn''t complete a set of math worksheets she left for me. We did: make George Washington hats, do greater than/less than problems on a flip chart, take a trip to the library, silent reading for 10 minutes and a writers workshop. I spent about 30 minutes on the workshop, I should have spent about 20 and used the rest of the time for math. There were no serious injuries or mishaps, but I did discover that children recongize gender differences at a very young age. There was a tom boy who wanted to be identified as a boy during math (we were answering problems on the flip chart, they got to fill in the circle with the appropriate sign and then pick someone of the opposite sex to come take a turn, which is how the teacher does it) and her feelings got hurt when some students told her she wasn''t a boy. That was a tough situation to handle. I told the kids they needed to apologize and that the child could raise her hand whenever she was comfortable doing so, but she became very shy and embarrassed and didn''t want to do a problem at all, until the very end. And of course I had a trouble maker who said something nasty about me that I didn''t quite catch because I told him he needed to behave (someone chose to do the problem he wanted before he got picked) and pulled his green card and told him he would be sent to the office if he continued to ignore me and sit with his hands covering his ears. He straightened up a bit.

Overall a good day. I''m doing it again tomorrow for another 1st grade class....I need to go muster up some energy!
9.gif

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Sending ~~~~~~~~~patience vibes~~~~~~~~~ your way! The young ones are always the hard ones for me to work with. I''ve made many a kindergartener cry...And that''s just when I''m volunteering! I''m pretty matter of fact with my kids and I forget that other people coddle their children. So when I tell my kids to sit down and do their work...They do it. It seems like some little ones cry if I say it like that...Maybe I should sing a sit down and hush up song instead.
17.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great job, Kimberly! Your PS buddies are proud of you! Have a relaxing AI viewing tonight, and good luck again for tomorrow!
35.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/27/2007 7:19:39 PM
Well, no one fell down but there was quite a bit of movement around the classroom and I don''t think I''ve ever heard my name said so much in my life as it was today. Lots of really cute kids, a few that tested me. The teacher didn''t provide me with a schedule, just a list of tasks to complete, I failed a bit in the time management area and we didn''t complete a set of math worksheets she left for me. We did: make George Washington hats, do greater than/less than problems on a flip chart, take a trip to the library, silent reading for 10 minutes and a writers workshop. I spent about 30 minutes on the workshop, I should have spent about 20 and used the rest of the time for math. There were no serious injuries or mishaps, but I did discover that children recongize gender differences at a very young age. There was a tom boy who wanted to be identified as a boy during math (we were answering problems on the flip chart, they got to fill in the circle with the appropriate sign and then pick someone of the opposite sex to come take a turn, which is how the teacher does it) and her feelings got hurt when some students told her she wasn''t a boy. That was a tough situation to handle. I told the kids they needed to apologize and that the child could raise her hand whenever she was comfortable doing so, but she became very shy and embarrassed and didn''t want to do a problem at all, until the very end. And of course I had a trouble maker who said something nasty about me that I didn''t quite catch because I told him he needed to behave (someone chose to do the problem he wanted before he got picked) and pulled his green card and told him he would be sent to the office if he continued to ignore me and sit with his hands covering his ears. He straightened up a bit.

Overall a good day. I''m doing it again tomorrow for another 1st grade class....I need to go muster up some energy!
9.gif

You sound like such a fun teacher!!!! You were born to do it; i am sooooo happy for you
9.gif

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Thanks so much everyone, I so appreciate the encouragement. I think my favorite part of the day was when we completed the 3 point hats and two boys, who were wearing theirs, decided it was a great time to have an O.K. Corral shoot out with finger guns in the middle of class. I had to laugh to myself then reel them in.

Miranda: I am going to have to learn to garner some of the stern-ness you speak of. They sat in their seats when I asked them, but when they couldn''t get my attention immediately by raising their hands they would come interrupt what I was doing. I was pretty good at doing the finger up to single a moment without losing my focus, but when there were 3 of them I just couldn''t stick to it. Perhaps tomorrow I''ll start off with "if you need me you sit in your desk and raise your hand. If you call out my name or get up to get my attention you will be invisible to me." These seems a bit harsh for these kids though, like they wouldn''t respond well to it.

Skippy: I hope one day to be someone who people look at as a natural teacher. I''ve got a lot of growing and learning to do, that was quite evident to me today, but that I am aware of it is big steps in the right direction. I think a lot of teachers get a complex, like their way is the best, and I am a clean slate and just want to be sponge-like and soak up everything I can so that I can truly be a great teacher one day. I''ve got many mountains to climb before i get there.

monnie: you are always so sweet and encouraging. Thanks for being such a great cheerleader. I needed it.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yay Kimberly! I''ve wondered how today went, and I''m just now reading your posts. Congrats on finishing your first day subbing! And a first grade class to start -- G*D Bless You!! I used to teach first and it''s really fun but really hard also. I can''t wait to hear how tomorrow goes. Just from what I''ve read from these posts and others, you seem like a very thoughtful person. That goes a long way in teaching. It''s exhausting but rewarding too. Good luck tomorrow!

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
ZB,

Can I pick your brain? How do you get them to stay in their desks?

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah, one thing you''ll notice is that first graders are instant gratification types.
9.gif
If you don''t come to them the minute they need something, they''ll find a way to line up behind you. They''re not great about waiting patiently. That''s something I still struggle with. If you''re on your own, just encourage them to ask a friend before asking you for help. Some teachers have an "ask 3 before me" rule, where if someone needs help, he or she will have to ask 3 other people in the room for help before going up to the teacher. I like that one personally because it lets kids help each other and learn from their peers instead of always relying on an adult for the answers.

I had to laugh when I read that you were going to tell the kids that they were invisisble to you if they kept calling your name. I recently told my students that one of these days I was going to change my name and not tell them what my new name is. If I could earn a nickel for every time I heard my name being called, I''d be a very rich woman (and I haven''t even been doing this for very long!). You''ll get used to it though.
1.gif

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/27/2007 9:25:37 PM
ZB,

Sure, ask away... well, at this point in the year, first graders should be better at staying in their seats than at the beginning of the year. One of the reasons they might keep getting up is because they need a movement break. For some, simply getting up to walk across the room and back to ask a question (or sharpen a pencil, etc.) helps them stay focused. I also think part of it could be the nature of a six (or seven) year old. They want your attention and they want it NOW. You''re new and kids always like the new teacher in the room. I have a few girls how who LOVE the attention of a few parent volunteers I have.

If they''re starting to get restless and they''ve been working for some time (30 min.?), try playing a quick game of Simon Says. It might help get their wiggles out.

You could also try to time them. You could tell them that you are going to challenge them to see if they can work at their desks without interruptions (or coming up to you) for 5 minutes. If there''s an actual timer you could use, use it. They love visuals. ONce those 5 minutes are up, prasie them and challenge them for another 5 minutes. And so on.

It helps if you notice someone following directions (staying at his or her seat for any length of time, for example) to announce it to the whole class. Something like, "I really like how so and so is working quietly." SOmething along those lines.

Does that help?

nejarb

Shiny_Rock
special ed kids are the best kids to sub, b/c they respect you and want to learn for the most part. you''re just another teacher to them! regular kids are usu a nightmare unless you are very firm from the beginning, but either way it''s exhausting.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/27/2007 9:45:06 PM
Author: zoebartlett

Date: 2/27/2007 9:25:37 PM
ZB,

Sure, ask away... well, at this point in the year, first graders should be better at staying in their seats than at the beginning of the year. One of the reasons they might keep getting up is because they need a movement break. For some, simply getting up to walk across the room and back to ask a question (or sharpen a pencil, etc.) helps them stay focused. I also think part of it could be the nature of a six (or seven) year old. They want your attention and they want it NOW. You''re new and kids always like the new teacher in the room. I have a few girls how who LOVE the attention of a few parent volunteers I have.

If they''re starting to get restless and they''ve been working for some time (30 min.?), try playing a quick game of Simon Says. It might help get their wiggles out.

You could also try to time them. You could tell them that you are going to challenge them to see if they can work at their desks without interruptions (or coming up to you) for 5 minutes. If there''s an actual timer you could use, use it. They love visuals. ONce those 5 minutes are up, prasie them and challenge them for another 5 minutes. And so on.

It helps if you notice someone following directions (staying at his or her seat for any length of time, for example) to announce it to the whole class. Something like, ''I really like how so and so is working quietly.'' SOmething along those lines.

Does that help?
It does! I think tomorrow will be different as I have them the whole day. So in the morning I can establish myself a bit more as their teacher for the day.

I just had a long talk w/ DH as I was a bit disappointed in myself that we didn''t get their math worksheets completed and I feel I failed, even if only slightly. He reminded me that I can only do so much in a day.

Timing them is a great idea! I did that today, but not as clearly as you described it. I also pointed out a student being really good (the one who I had a bit of trouble with) and the other kids responded well to it.

Thanks so much for letting me pick your brain! I have so much to learn!!! Including that sometimes students are just going to call my name and move around and that''s okay. I did a lot of things with them where I allowed them to spread out, sit on the floor or wherever they wanted/were comfortable because I figured as long as they''re working does it really matter if they''re in their desks? But I did make them do certain things while sitting in their desks, no more than 1/2 an hour or so at a time.

It''s so different from when I was a kid. We always sat in rows, facing the teacher, in our desks except for during reading time. Even in 1st grade.

Again I say, I have so much to learn!!!

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/27/2007 10:10:18 PM
Author: nejarb
special ed kids are the best kids to sub, b/c they respect you and want to learn for the most part. you''re just another teacher to them! regular kids are usu a nightmare unless you are very firm from the beginning, but either way it''s exhausting.
Yeah, this class tried to convince me that I needed to give them suckers at the end of the day, because they got them every Tuesday. Wow are 6 year olds coniving!

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
I had to share this. I emailed my sister to tell her about my first day and said 1st graders as a lot of questions, so here''s her response:

why do they ask quesions? why are you subbing full
day tomorrow? why is [her son] trying to bite my arm
while I type this? why is he crying in my ear? what
does he want me to do? Are you laughing?

HA HA HA! She''s so funny.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/27/2007 8:58:14 PM
Thanks so much everyone, I so appreciate the encouragement. I think my favorite part of the day was when we completed the 3 point hats and two boys, who were wearing theirs, decided it was a great time to have an O.K. Corral shoot out with finger guns in the middle of class. I had to laugh to myself then reel them in.

Miranda: I am going to have to learn to garner some of the stern-ness you speak of. They sat in their seats when I asked them, but when they couldn''t get my attention immediately by raising their hands they would come interrupt what I was doing. I was pretty good at doing the finger up to single a moment without losing my focus, but when there were 3 of them I just couldn''t stick to it. Perhaps tomorrow I''ll start off with ''if you need me you sit in your desk and raise your hand. If you call out my name or get up to get my attention you will be invisible to me.'' These seems a bit harsh for these kids though, like they wouldn''t respond well to it.

Skippy: I hope one day to be someone who people look at as a natural teacher. I''ve got a lot of growing and learning to do, that was quite evident to me today, but that I am aware of it is big steps in the right direction. I think a lot of teachers get a complex, like their way is the best, and I am a clean slate and just want to be sponge-like and soak up everything I can so that I can truly be a great teacher one day. I''ve got many mountains to climb before i get there.

monnie: you are always so sweet and encouraging. Thanks for being such a great cheerleader. I needed it.
Ha! You are more than welcome. I always enjoy your posts, they are intellectually sound, kind, and there is never an inkling of b.s. to be found within them. Any person who can accomplish those feats I feel deserves my encouragement in whatever they take on in life. It really has nothing to do with your field, more to do with the integrity as a person your posts portray. Every child should be so lucky as to have you as a sub, let alone a teacher for a "normal" period of time. Certain people deserve respect in life, and one of them IMO happens to be you, because you believe so much in what you do and what you stand for, and seem to care so much about the people you involve in your life. Sorry for going on...but the PM system is gone here at PS, and hopefully I don''t embarrass you but frankly I''m impressed by your character, and that isn''t something that happens often to me. I am pretty sure you and I are the same age (29?) and I feel inspired by you! (Do correct me if I''m wrong!)
35.gif

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/27/2007 11:59:25 PM
Author: monarch64

Date: 2/27/2007 8:58:14 PM

Miranda: I am going to have to learn to garner some of the stern-ness you speak of. They sat in their seats when I asked them, but when they couldn''t get my attention immediately by raising their hands they would come interrupt what I was doing. I was pretty good at doing the finger up to single a moment without losing my focus, but when there were 3 of them I just couldn''t stick to it. Perhaps tomorrow I''ll start off with ''if you need me you sit in your desk and raise your hand. If you call out my name or get up to get my attention you will be invisible to me.'' These seems a bit harsh for these kids though, like they wouldn''t respond well to it.

Ha! You are more than welcome. I always enjoy your posts, they are intellectually sound, kind, and there is never an inkling of b.s. to be found within them. Any person who can accomplish those feats I feel deserves my encouragement in whatever they take on in life. It really has nothing to do with your field, more to do with the integrity as a person your posts portray. Every child should be so lucky as to have you as a sub, let alone a teacher for a ''normal'' period of time. Certain people deserve respect in life, and one of them IMO happens to be you, because you believe so much in what you do and what you stand for, and seem to care so much about the people you involve in your life. Sorry for going on...but the PM system is gone here at PS, and hopefully I don''t embarrass you but frankly I''m impressed by your character, and that isn''t something that happens often to me. I am pretty sure you and I are the same age (29?) and I feel inspired by you! (Do correct me if I''m wrong!)
35.gif
First off, you are correct, I''m 29, just like you. And if memory serves our husband''s are also close in age (J is 38).

Wow, what an amazing way to start my day!! I have a few tears! I''m not embarrassed, I am just at a loss for words that adequately respond to the amazingly kind things you''ve said. So I''ll just say I am quite flattered, and thank you.

~K

P.S. As you know DH and I are contemplating moving to Chicago, I told him very excitedly last week, "if we do there are two people from my website that I absolutely have to meet and would love to get to know." I was referring to you and DeeJay, of course. So if we move...

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kimberly, it sounds like you're doing just fine, I knew you would.
2.gif

Hang in there, with any new job there's tons to learn, and that's without 20-30 little boddies calling your name all day.
9.gif

And since we're on teaching, I wanted to relay something my 16 year old told me yesterday. His MATH teacher, apparently gives "life lessons".

i.e. When renting an apartment, say it needs painted. Ask the landlord to take 100.00 off the rent for each room and you'll paint it. Most will agree. (owning a rental home, I definitely would)

He also gave tips on how to recognize good wooden furniture from less quality.

i.e. Trees that bear fruit are harder. Dark woods are harder. If you see nails sticking out or glue, it's not made as well, etc.

I applaud this guy, and I'm going to tell him so. While I understand there are lessons that must be taught, I think we can all agree that some required lessons often get forgotten, or are something we'll never use again. Things like this we will. And it reminded me of my oldest, who is extemely smart (he always asked the questions no one could answer), and he has asked me more than once on life situations where he would have had no clue, if I hadn't told him, "Why didn't they teach us THIS in school, these are things we really have to know".

In my opinion, he has a point. And again, I had no answer. lol

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results