shape
carat
color
clarity

First time diamond buyer questions

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Arista Jack

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone!!
9.gif
9.gif

Being new to diamond hunting, this site has been most helpful.
36.gif

I have researched quite a bit to learn more beyond the 4 C''s and yet I have many questions still.... I thought I wanted to look at Radiant cut diamonds for my e-ring but when we went to a well known jeweler he said the radiant cut would look funny on my finger.
32.gif
I have long piano fingers and he thought only a marquis would look proportionate. He said we would also "get the most bang for our buck". We have a limited budget (tax returns only) to shop with. Hoping to find a beautiful stone that can be added on to as the years go by.
16.gif

Our jeweler searched his vendor inventory online and is having the stones he chose within our budget shipped to him for our viewing next Saturday. He carries very little inventory. He is bringing in a few marquis''s and one or two radiant cuts for our viewing but he is still gearing us towards the marquis. I feel a little pressured by him but i do understand what he is saying about the Marquis looking nicer on my finger than a small rectangle. Although I feel cheated since I have not seen a true radiant on my skinny finger yet.Does anyone alse share this opinion or am I being led? My little heart was set on a radiant because I love the rectangle of an emerald with the sparkle of a round. I love the cracked ice look also. I also like that there are not alot of radiant cuts running around. I want to have a somewhat unique ring all my own. I have never seen a real radiant cut, just online pictures. I set out to see one this weekend but it does not seem many jewelers carry them. We only tried five stores so maybe we ought to keep looking.

can anyone give me some advise to take with me this weekend? Just getting started on this hunt took a half year and now I''m here and fully read up on purchasing a diamond and I feel lost all over again. Anyone?

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Radiant vs. Marquise

I''d wait til Saturday, see the stones he shows you, paying a lot of attention to length vs.width ratios of the stones. Another factor is that very commonly the longer and thinner the stone is shaped, the less light it returns.

Try on rings, that have no center stones, and have him lay the diamonds on the empty prongs ( or ask him to put the stone is "squeezey temp" ring.

The "final judgment" is yours. Unless you really like the marquise shape better on your hand, stay with the shape you prefer.

The other piece of advise I''d suggest is not to hurry into a purchase. If you find your budget is a little short because of limitations, hold off buying, save some more, and get the stone you really want. But that said, if you "must" have a stone now, for personal preferences, find out about the jewelers upgrade policy, and if you do decide to buy, get it in writing. In an upgrade policy many sellers require you to purchase an upgrade selling for twice the price. Avoid this limitation. Several sellers here on pricescope do not require this and if you think you want to upgrade in the future, that may be a very meaningful benefit.

After you view the stones on Saturday, write down all the specifics and compare the pricing of your jeweler to those offering comparable stones, online. If the stones he shows you have grading reports, ask for copies.

Hope this helps....

Rockdoc

Arista Jack

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/10/2007 12:09:00 PM
Author: RockDoc
Radiant vs. Marquise

I''d wait til Saturday, see the stones he shows you, paying a lot of attention to length vs.width ratios of the stones. Another factor is that very commonly the longer and thinner the stone is shaped, the less light it returns.

Try on rings, that have no center stones, and have him lay the diamonds on the empty prongs ( or ask him to put the stone is ''squeezey temp'' ring.

The ''final judgment'' is yours. Unless you really like the marquise shape better on your hand, stay with the shape you prefer.

The other piece of advise I''d suggest is not to hurry into a purchase. If you find your budget is a little short because of limitations, hold off buying, save some more, and get the stone you really want. But that said, if you ''must'' have a stone now, for personal preferences, find out about the jewelers upgrade policy, and if you do decide to buy, get it in writing. In an upgrade policy many sellers require you to purchase an upgrade selling for twice the price. Avoid this limitation. Several sellers here on pricescope do not require this and if you think you want to upgrade in the future, that may be a very meaningful benefit.

After you view the stones on Saturday, write down all the specifics and compare the pricing of your jeweler to those offering comparable stones, online. If the stones he shows you have grading reports, ask for copies.

Hope this helps....

Rockdoc
I appreciate your reply Rockdoc! I guess our jeweler is on the right track. He is very concerned with dimensions of the diamond meant to fit my finger. He knows the depth ratio for all cuts so he knows what he is looking for, although I do not. He did have me put a CZ Marquis in a pronged ring just to show me what he was talking about. it did look good on my finger but I would like to see a radiant set there also. I will have to wait for saturday... and I will bring my spec''s back here to post so I can get feedback.

Make it a great day!
1.gif

Unearthed

Shiny_Rock
My girlfriend has extremely long skinny fingers and I think the round I purchased looks great on her. Her ring is currently a size 5 and is too large, so our 3/4ct has great coverage.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would look at ovals too, personally.

pelicano

Rough_Rock
Since he is still going to show you the radiant cut diamonds, just wait and see. Marquise cut does have a very different feel to it than the radiant, so if you end up liking radiant in person, I''m sure you can find one that will look absolutely fabulous on your fingers whatever their length
2.gif

Also to consider is the fact that marquise and radiant will not look the same size if they are the same weight. But overall, just look and follow your own heart. You''re the one who''ll be wearing it, not him!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results