shape
carat
color
clarity

First time buying a Diamond please help.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cbullard85

Rough_Rock
I have gained a lot of knowledge from reading the articles on this site; it is probably one of the mose informative one I have come across. I have done a lot of homework on different diamonds, type of cuts, clarity etc.. And I have shopped around to find a jeweler I am comfortable with. I have narrowed my search to two stones at two different jewelers and I am having a hard time making my final decision. I have found the mounting which is being custom made I just need the center stone. Please help!!!!! Thank you sooo much,
Chris

My two choices, Both are GIA Cerified.

$5140
1.00 carat
Princess
Measurements.....5.67 x 5.46 x 3.96
Proportions
Depth.....72.5%
Table......77%
Girdle......thin to slightly thick
culet.......none
Finish
Polish......VG
Symmetry..G
Clarity..........SI1
Color...........F
Fluorescence..NONE

$5290
1.10 carat
Princess
Measurements.....5.68 x 5.63 x 4.21
Proportions
Depth.....74.8%
Table......77%
Girdle......medium to very thick
culet.......none
Finish
Polish........G
Symmetry..G
Clarity..........VS2
Color...........G
Fluorescence..NONE

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
I''m no expert on princess cuts, but if I had to choose one of the two, I would go with the second one. The table seems too big on the first one, and the first one also is not as square as the second one. The thin part of the girdle on the first one would also worry me.

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
Princesses aren't my area either, but I agree with Coda if I HAD to pick one of those. However, I don't think I'd pick either. There seem to be much better stones online for that pricepoint. Both of those stones only have Good for symmetry and the tables are pretty big. I think you could do better online. That said, if you have seen these stones in many different types of lighting, are set on getting your center stone from a local jeweler, and are pleased with the way they look, then I'd go with the second one.

cbullard85

Rough_Rock
What are the best table % to look for in a princess cut? From looking at the stones the second is more "square" than the first, that''s why I was leaning that way.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
they are very similar but like you said, the second one is more square. if you really can''t tell any difference between the two, i say go with the cheaper one! ...or the more square one...or....
37.gif

it''s really up to you.
2.gif

i like to see the table a little smaller but that doesn''t mean these aren''t beauties! trust your eyes.
2.gif

sammyjoey

Rough_Rock
chris,

i think you can do MUCH better

look for a smaller depth and maybe smaller table too. look online, whiteflash.com is a good place to start. i''ve linked an ideal cut for over $1000 less than the ones you spoke of. check it out

http://www.whiteflash.com/princess/Princess-cut-diamond-2412738.htm

sammy

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also, read the tutorials here on PS. In particular, David Atlas published the "ideal" proportions for fancy cuts like princess and in reading about the cuts you will learn a lot. Good Luck.

cbullard85

Rough_Rock
ok, with price set aside. are these good stones and why is #2 better?

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
The reasons I picked #2 over #1 are because it is more square, it has a medium - thick girdle (which is good in princesses because those corners can be prone to chipping), and it faces up slightly larger than #1. The difference between G and F is minimal and almost definitely unnoticable. Also, the second one is a VS2 over an SI1, so it is "mind-clean" as well as eye-clean. They both have larger tables, so that''s a wash (I prefer to see a table smaller than the depth).

BUT, that said, it is really up to your eyes. Which one sparkles more in person in many different lighting situations? Which one do you prefer? You have the benefit of seeing them in person, which tells you more than the numbers can...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results