shape
carat
color
clarity

First post.. Engagement ring time!

cityboi89

Rough_Rock
Hi!

I am currently located in NYC. I have just started the search for a ring.

So I know I want to get a very simple rose gold setting with an oval diamond. Still undecided on the halo, I think it depends on the size of a diamond I can find in my price range, which would be up to $30k, closer to $25k ideally. Questions I have..

1) Cheaper to buy online or in person?
2) Do local retailers typically match prices to a potentially higher value diamond I find online?
3) I've heard that with a rose gold setting, I could theoretically get away with a lower level color, like a G or an H, is this true?
4) For clarity, you could not tell the difference between VS1/VS2 and anything higher with the blind eye. Is this true?
5) How important is "cut"?

Priority is definitely size of the diamond so I would like to find an ideal combination of the above. I've found that 2.5 carat rings seem to be ~23-25k that are G/H, VS1/VS2, very good cut, does this seem reasonably priced?

Thanks!

Reactions: AV_

jp201845

Brilliant_Rock
Hi!

I am currently located in NYC. I have just started the search for a ring.

So I know I want to get a very simple rose gold setting with an oval diamond. Still undecided on the halo, I think it depends on the size of a diamond I can find in my price range, which would be up to $30k, closer to $25k ideally. Questions I have..

1) Cheaper to buy online or in person?
2) Do local retailers typically match prices to a potentially higher value diamond I find online?
3) I've heard that with a rose gold setting, I could theoretically get away with a lower level color, like a G or an H, is this true?
4) For clarity, you could not tell the difference between VS1/VS2 and anything higher with the blind eye. Is this true?
5) How important is "cut"?

Priority is definitely size of the diamond so I would like to find an ideal combination of the above. I've found that 2.5 carat rings seem to be ~23-25k that are G/H, VS1/VS2, very good cut, does this seem reasonably priced?

Thanks!

Welcome to Pricescope,

1. Diamonds are usually cheaper to buy online vs in person.

2. Local retailers typically can't match higher value stones found online due to higher overhead expenses.

3. With a lower colored Diamond like an H or I a rose or yellow gold setting will offset the warmth of a lower color. Would be easier to detect in a white metal vs a non white metal.

4. A VS1 and above clarity is almost always eye clean and would be a safe bet if you are sensitive to inclusions.
VS2 clarity sometimes will not be eye clean and should be reviewed by case to case basis.

5. Cut is King and is very important.
Pricescoper's consider this the most important out of the 4 C's.

cityboi89

Rough_Rock
Thanks! What is the minimal cut that you think would be ok to get away with?

Anything else I should know about getting an oval stone, tips, things to look out for, etc?

jp201845

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks! What is the minimal cut that you think would be ok to get away with?

Anything else I should know about getting an oval stone, tips, things to look out for, etc?

I'm not very knowledgeable with Oval stones but I think Jonathan at August Vintage specializes in precision cut oval stones. He is a trusted vendor on PS and also an active member. Reach out to him for any questions you might have. He is also in NY state.

Others I'm sure will chime in soon with more detailed responses.

Redwoods-hiker-girl

Brilliant_Rock
Two votes for Jonathan @ August Vintage (aka @Rhino on PS) -- his Elyque oval stones are extraordinary.

cityboi89

Rough_Rock
Those are nice!

Is there any downside to choosing a ring online?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those are nice!

Just the not being able to see in person before buying. Most of the vendors we recommend have excellent return policies (like 30 days, no
reason needed).

If you are in NYC I recommend ID Jewelry. They have a shop in NYC as well as an on-line presence.
You would want to work with Yekutiel pronounced something like you-coo-teal (that's what I think of when I want to pronounce it).
You would need to contact them and set up an appointment so they could bring in some stones like you are looking for.

August Vintage is in Long Island (I think) so you would be able to see them in person. I second @Redwoods-hiker-girl. They are super ideal
ovals with ideal light return.

Traditional ovals are not graded per GIA. Each oval needs to be evaluated on its own merits.

Check out this thread. I've posted some pictures with explanations.

SouthernElle

Shiny_Rock
With your budget, August Vintage can find you the perfect stone. He does modern and vintage oval cuts that are to die for.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I’m sorry but I have to disagree on that clarity comment. The statement that a VS2 will sometimes not be eye clean, really??? OP is totally safe getting a VS2, in fact to maximize size I would not go much higher if possible and I would most definitely look at and consider SI1-s. Now, that statement would hold true about SI1-s but not VS2! You do have to evaluate each stone individually but not because of VS2. Due to the larger size I would not go below SI1 and perhaps a VS2 would be better. That said most of my diamonds are SIs and all perfectly eye clean. This is somewhat subjective.

Cut is difficult to evaluate in fancy shapes, It is not the grade but the visual performance that has to be looked at. A super ideal oval could be a good idea but they face up smaller, OP should take that into account and if taking a super ideal perhaps worth going down in color and clarity.

When looking at size don’t look at only carat weight, look at mm-s. In a super ideal and in rose gold I think even an I would be fine, but H could be your sweet spot generally speaking.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Going to throw out a few like what you could get on-line
https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-de...NDS&track=viewDiamondDetails&catalogView=true 4 main

I'm finding mostly higher colors and not bigger G/H stones.

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Another vote here for August Vintage if you have your heart set on an oval. The ‘cut’ that is so crucially important, that PS gives highly detailed information about, is also well described as ‘cut quality’.

In other words, when some people say they’re looking for an oval cut diamond, they really mean to say is oval-shaped diamond. Cut quality affects all shapes, and it seems to me that PS is the right place to raise questions about cut quality! You are ahead of the pack by joining the community here. Welcome.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are also antique ovals, if you’re into them.

Ceilimom

Brilliant_Rock
Those are nice!

Not really. Many vendors are happy to work with you and many have flexible return policies. Take notes,write down your questions and check out previous posts about selecting diamonds. Good luck, congratulations and keep us all updated.

cityboi89

Rough_Rock
Thanks all! I have reached out to August vintage.

do some jewelry shops give dealsif you also agree to purchase wedding bands and other stuff from them?

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks all! I have reached out to August vintage.

do some jewelry shops give dealsif you also agree to purchase wedding bands and other stuff from them?
Sorta.....But, its not worth fussing over.

What kind of setting is your girl looking for?: Has she stated that she is ok with an oval and oval of that size?

AV_

Ideal_Rock
There is little left to say beyond AV (nevermind my initials). I would add here that having the diamond set in platinum, with only the band of the ring in colored gold, is a great way to set H & I, reflections from the prongs will always appear through the stone at some angle & the gray of platinum dissapears from view; then, against the metal color of the ring's band, the 'near colourless' diamond colors are overpowered by contrast.

Then, it is worth looking up and down the color scale - you might care more or less of the subtle grades today, & it is quite unusual to see light yellow diamonds that beautifully cut. I remember that August Vintage keeps all in house D to Z, if more often in other cuts. The experience is worth asking for, methinks.

2p

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results