shape
carat
color
clarity

First post - Chrysoberyl help...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

leolady

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone!

I''ve been a lurking for a while. I''m a closet gem-aholic, who has had a lifelong love of stones and sparklies. I am wondering if anyone can offer some help w/ a couple Chrysoberyl stones I''m looking at. First off, I love green, or green flashes in stones. These stones are from Sri Lanka, and I may have by looking at re-cutting depending on how it turns out. Please help me decided which is better.

Both are cushion cut, and about the same price

Stats:
Stone #1: 4.14 carats. 8.6 x 9.8 x 6.0; yellow-green color, loupe clean
Stone #2: 3.06 carats. 7.75 x 10.1 x 5.0; lime-green, eye clean

I am trying to attach the pictures, but I''m not sure if this will work...

I''m not as familiar with this type of stones, so I''m not sure what to look for or if there are any qualities that are better than others. (ie: are the prone to extinction? should I look for more green? what cuts should I look at?)

Any help is much appreciated!!

Thanks so much,
Leolady

tn_cr2125.jpg

leolady

Rough_Rock
okay, so I was able to post a little picture of stone #1.

Attempt at stone #2...

Thanks!

tn_cr3541.jpg

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
(bump)
I can''t help with your question, but welcome to PS!
35.gif

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Hello leolady, welcome to PS!!
35.gif
35.gif

Both of those stones are lovely in color. I believe Dan Stair does recuts. Maybe you can email him with a picture of your chrys. He''s great about writing back.

http://www.customgemstones.com/

Others that''s more knowledgable will probably chime in regarding your other questions.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
None of my chrysoberyls seem to have any problem with extinction (one''s a round, one''s a trillion and one''s an oval). I think green tends to be the more desirable color in general but buy the color that *you* like the best.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Ditto to what Kismet said, but whichever you like better.

But to answer some of your questions, #2 is closer to ideal due to being more green and less yellow, and also cause it''s cut is much better. Other than that, it''s quality is determined pretty much the same way as for other stones; the clearer the better, the larger the better, the sparklier the better (OK, that''s very simplified...
9.gif
).

But, between us, there''s something quite nice to me personally about #1
2.gif

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A different opinion here! For me, chrysoberyl (soooooooooo sparkly by the way!) needs to be yellow. Why? Because if it''s green then I think it''s trying to be an Alexandrite!!! Ok, I know that''s strange but there you go!

Both of the gems you''ve shown above look like they would benefit from a re-cut BUT you need to check the cost of re-cutting because you could end up spending more than the gem is worth!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stone 1 could pass of a sphene! Interesting colour and dispersion. I like it even though it isn't the typical colour.
Stone 2 looks more like what I expect to see in a chrysoberyl. I would get Stone 2 though because the colour is nicer green with decent brilliance.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like neon lime green chrysoberyls. Richard Homer has some.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results