shape
carat
color
clarity

First Impressions of this Emerald Ring?

acv123

Shiny_Rock
Premium
New to emeralds but recently started looking, granted I have zero information about this but I wanted to get your first impressions. The central emerald is 1.75carats (don't know if its oil treated etc) and the band is 14k gold while the prongs etc are platinum. I can buy it for around $2000. The surrounding stones are all white, clean, and sparkly and I'd estimate about 15-20 points each, I have a size 6 finger. I like that this looks 50's rather than 80s and its very well made, I also like the blue green color of the stone, and that its not mint green. let me know what you think and in the mean time I plan to inquire about further stats.

IMG_7432.jpg IMG_7433.jpg

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely ring and a fair price.
You do want to check that it’s oil only. These days people are using more sophisticated “enhancements” including polymer stabilizers which most consider “not ok”. You obviously don’t want one with dyed fissure filling either. With that colour tone it’s probably Brazilian rather than Colombian (normally cheaper).
Check it with a Loupe on the facet surfaces for fine squiggly lines, that’s surface reaching fissures (and how they get the oil and polymer inside). Some are to be expected but you don’t want a gem that is totally “crazed with lines” as that can be a integrity issue.
Emeralds are not really every day rings, the gem is quite brittle so more a special occasion type ring.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The color seems nice but do the inclusions bother you? I don’t mind silky inclusions but I can’t tell if there’s too much black inclusions in the stone to point of distraction.

Heh I probably wear my emerald ring more than recommended. And it’s acquired some scratches but I still love it and it doesn’t deter from the green glow.

GeauxGirl

Rough_Rock
I don’t know anything about emeralds, but it’s a striking, beautiful ring!

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You do want to check that it’s oil only. These days people are using more sophisticated “enhancements” including polymer stabilizers which most consider “not ok”. You obviously don’t want one with dyed fissure filling either. With that colour tone it’s probably Brazilian rather than Colombian (normally cheaper).
Check it with a Loupe on the facet surfaces for fine squiggly lines, that’s surface reaching fissures (and how they get the oil and polymer inside). Some are to be expected but you don’t want a gem that is totally “crazed with lines” as that can be a integrity issue.
Emeralds are not really every day rings, the gem is quite brittle so more a special occasion type ring.

I believe some modern treatments are considered acceptable provided they are stable and colorless. Just like oil, they are used to fill the surface reaching fractures and improve clarity. Most purists prefer oil because its a natural substance while others may prefer modern because, unlike oil, it's permanent. As you mention, the degree of treatment, whether it be oil or modern polymer, is an indication of the quality/stability of the stone itself and what many will consider of most importance.

https://www.gia.edu/gems-gemology/winter-1999-classifying-emerald-clarity-mcclure

Emeralds can be very hard to photograph but generally speaking it's a good price given the size of the stone and the setting.

Last edited:

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
Have all the diamonds been tested to be genuine? If so, that’s a good price for the entire ring as the diamonds look huge and very clean. You can make two 5-stone eternity bands with them if you ever get tired of the setting.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Just based on the two photos color and quality look very good! Price is a little too low for what I am seeing. I would like to see more pix but emeralds do not photograph well so that is hard. In such cases I always start wondering where is the catch? Normally in Europe CS under around 10 K are not certed. You gotta have the knowledge to tell if you are trading in them. Can get the opinions of others too. But as a consumer you cannot tell. Try requesting a report from a reputable lab.The stone has the glow, good to very good saturation level, color could be many different origins, inclusions tell more but it is not necessarily Brazilian. Inclusions are there but it does not look bad at all.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's gorgeous. If everything is geniune the price is crazy good, in fact seems too low lol. I don't know anything about emeralds so I probably shouldn't be commenting, but honestly I would buy it if I had the chance. JMO!

Anne111

Shiny_Rock
If your lower estimate of 15point and my count of nine diamonds is correct, that would be 1.35ct diamonds. Those cost, what, in OKish quality 1500/ct = near 2000 (no pocket calculator here) plus the emerald, plus the gold, sounds like way under material cost. Am I missing something? Either it's a snatch or a too-good-to-be-true?

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I totally agree with the above posters @junebug17 and @Anne111 which is why I said insist on sale contingent on report verification of statemens or better even have them get a report. OTOH, sometimes you can get used pieces for crazy low prices. It could be just because or there is extensive damage. I would ask about that as well. With a great return policy it may be worth a shot.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree, price looks way too low given how perfect the emerald looks. I would check for what treatment and the level of treatment. But, if you’re ok with all that, maybe it’s a good buy. I believe in knowing the facts and making decisions based on it. Not everyone can afford $$$$$ emeralds.

Keeliamira

Shiny_Rock
It looks beautiful! I really like the shape/scale of the halo stones too. Have you been able to see it outside away from the lights of the sale room floor?

acv123

Shiny_Rock
Premium

Thank you so much @Bron357 and sorry for my late reply! I'm going to ask to see it again and take a closer look. I only had about 3 minutes to look at it when I first saw it. Can you feel fissures with a fingernail or is it more a visual thing?

acv123

Shiny_Rock
Premium
The color seems nice but do the inclusions bother you? I don’t mind silky inclusions but I can’t tell if there’s too much black inclusions in the stone to point of distraction.

Heh I probably wear my emerald ring more than recommended. And it’s acquired some scratches but I still love it and it doesn’t deter from the green glow.

I didn't see any black specs at first glance but I need to take a closer look, there are definitely darker zones within the stone. I think having some inclusions is actually better if you're going to wear everyday because they get kind of camouflaged. This would be a gift for someone who would most likely wear it everyday! but I'm going into it knowing emeralds aren't the best for that.

acv123

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I don’t know anything about emeralds, but it’s a striking, beautiful ring!

isn't it? I think the scale and color are lovely.

acv123

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I believe some modern treatments are considered acceptable provided they are stable and colorless. Just like oil, they are used to fill the surface reaching fractures and improve clarity. Most purists prefer oil because its a natural substance while others may prefer modern because, unlike oil, it's permanent. As you mention, the degree of treatment, whether it be oil or modern polymer, is an indication of the quality/stability of the stone itself and what many will consider of most importance.

https://www.gia.edu/gems-gemology/winter-1999-classifying-emerald-clarity-mcclure

Emeralds can be very hard to photograph but generally speaking it's a good price given the size of the stone and the setting.

its a gift for someone who's not as much as a spec expert and I think she'd appreciate it regardless of the treatment and I could get it re-treated for her if necessary over the years. I would just want to make sure its structurally sound since she would likely wear it most days.

acv123

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Have all the diamonds been tested to be genuine? If so, that’s a good price for the entire ring as the diamonds look huge and very clean. You can make two 5-stone eternity bands with them if you ever get tired of the setting.

yeah I thought the same thing! I was thinking I could make a minimal bezel setting for the emerald and a diamond band if it gets passed down to me. The person selling it is a diamond dealer with a storefront so i'm pretty sure they are genuine but it wouldn't hurt to have them tested.

acv123

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Just based on the two photos color and quality look very good! Price is a little too low for what I am seeing. I would like to see more pix but emeralds do not photograph well so that is hard. In such cases I always start wondering where is the catch? Normally in Europe CS under around 10 K are not certed. You gotta have the knowledge to tell if you are trading in them. Can get the opinions of others too. But as a consumer you cannot tell. Try requesting a report from a reputable lab.The stone has the glow, good to very good saturation level, color could be many different origins, inclusions tell more but it is not necessarily Brazilian. Inclusions are there but it does not look bad at all.

Thank you @Sunstorm really glad to have some professional input! The ring is located in NY so I guess I could ask for it to be certed or purchase it pending a certificate. I think the ring is almost worth the asking price just in diamonds and the setting alone so I kind of don't want to push it with the seller. I'm new to emeralds but this has been my favorite of tones I've seen so far, I know they can be very minty light, almost neon green and a darker blue-ish variety which I prefer.

acv123

Shiny_Rock
Premium
It's gorgeous. If everything is geniune the price is crazy good, in fact seems too low lol. I don't know anything about emeralds so I probably shouldn't be commenting, but honestly I would buy it if I had the chance. JMO!

its very very pretty and after searching for diamonds mostly in my time on pricescope I'm transfixed by the beautiful green of this ring!

acv123

Shiny_Rock
Premium
If your lower estimate of 15point and my count of nine diamonds is correct, that would be 1.35ct diamonds. Those cost, what, in OKish quality 1500/ct = near 2000 (no pocket calculator here) plus the emerald, plus the gold, sounds like way under material cost. Am I missing something? Either it's a snatch or a too-good-to-be-true?

right! I hope I'm in the sweet spot here and everything checks out OK. Maybe my camera is distorting the size of those stones. Need to get the specs on this ring so we can all re-evaluate.

acv123

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I agree, price looks way too low given how perfect the emerald looks. I would check for what treatment and the level of treatment. But, if you’re ok with all that, maybe it’s a good buy. I believe in knowing the facts and making decisions based on it. Not everyone can afford $$$$$ emeralds.

good point! I have to think about what my standards would be for an emerald and my budget versus what is actually considered very good for an emerald if that makes sense. Just need to find out if there has been any treatment or take a longer look at it and check for structural issues, I dont think I mind the treatment part if it can be replicated.

acv123

Shiny_Rock
Premium
It looks beautiful! I really like the shape/scale of the halo stones too. Have you been able to see it outside away from the lights of the sale room floor?

thank you! that darker picture was away from the jewelry case lights and overhead lighting but I didn't get to see it in natural lighting.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
@acv123 ok so you do not think it is a viable option to get it certed. Do they have a good return policy? At least then you could take it to an appraiser.

You are absolutely sure those are natural diamonds? The reason I am asking is because the emerald look really good, as in not the cheapest variety. That and adding in the diamond weight, plus platinum are the factors that gave me some concern.

Like I said sometimes at auctions and some other places you can get preowned pieces at good prices but this is almost a steal.

Emeralds are not cheap, not in this color. Just to compare I own a 1.5 Panjshir emerald cut, top color, almost pure green with slight blue, vivid to deep saturation, probably the best saturation I have seen. Clarity good but not top, has a lot of transparency though. My stone would trade around 5-6000 USD wholesale, dealer asking prices.

The stone as far as I can see here and now emeralds do look a lot worse in photos generally than IRL, is while not quite up there, is not shabby either at all. A stone like this could command 3000 USD easily or more (just a vague figure and really cannot give you anything accurate based on photos alone). The only thing I cannot see here as well is clarity but I do see that it is not opaque, definitely has transparency from what I can tell.

So add in the diamonds plus plat, work, etc., this is why many of us were like what are we missing here?
Since most emeralds are treated today, that alone will not take down the price significantly. Not unless the stone is like more filling than emerald, badly cracked, etc., I cannot see that here.

Ask about a return policy and read about the vendor. Besides that for this price, I would normally take the chance, just something keeps bugging me because today you just do not find steals like this so easily.

acv123

Shiny_Rock
Premium
@acv123 ok so you do not think it is a viable option to get it certed. Do they have a good return policy? At least then you could take it to an appraiser.

You are absolutely sure those are natural diamonds? The reason I am asking is because the emerald look really good, as in not the cheapest variety. That and adding in the diamond weight, plus platinum are the factors that gave me some concern.

Like I said sometimes at auctions and some other places you can get preowned pieces at good prices but this is almost a steal.

Emeralds are not cheap, not in this color. Just to compare I own a 1.5 Panjshir emerald cut, top color, almost pure green with slight blue, vivid to deep saturation, probably the best saturation I have seen. Clarity good but not top, has a lot of transparency though. My stone would trade around 5-6000 USD wholesale, dealer asking prices.

The stone as far as I can see here and now emeralds do look a lot worse in photos generally than IRL, is while not quite up there, is not shabby either at all. A stone like this could command 3000 USD easily or more (just a vague figure and really cannot give you anything accurate based on photos alone). The only thing I cannot see here as well is clarity but I do see that it is not opaque, definitely has transparency from what I can tell.

So add in the diamonds plus plat, work, etc., this is why many of us were like what are we missing here?
Since most emeralds are treated today, that alone will not take down the price significantly. Not unless the stone is like more filling than emerald, badly cracked, etc., I cannot see that here.

Ask about a return policy and read about the vendor. Besides that for this price, I would normally take the chance, just something keeps bugging me because today you just do not find steals like this so easily.

Thank you for all this amazing information and points of comparison. I reached out to the vendor to get more information and see if I can see the ring in person again and get more details. They are a wholesaler so that might account for the price. Mayve I misunderstood and they actually said $20,000 although that seems way too high! I'm fairly certain they are natural diamonds and the setting looked vintage original (probably white gold and 14k gold). Now I'm super curious to get more information and will of course report back! Perhaps they misquoted the price to me in person in which case I should have bought it as soon as I saw it!

More soon!

acv123

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Ok so I reached out to the seller and confirmed its a 1.75 emerald and 1.25 carats of diamonds (though it looks like more?) and the band is 18k gold, and the head is platinum. The price is $2500, so a little more than I remembered, but I'm ok with that. I'm going to see it in person again next week and look more closely at the emerald.

I actually also just bought this guy to compare it to, it was about $1600. Also platinum and 18k gold, emerald is 1.87carats and there are .78carats of diamonds. Sold as art deco but I'm not sure if its a repro or not, I just thought it was pretty. I can return it if I prefer the first ring.

RRING53398_1_enlarged.jpg
RRING53398_4_enlarged.jpg

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
Ok so I reached out to the seller and confirmed its a 1.75 emerald and 1.25 carats of diamonds (though it looks like more?) and the band is 18k gold, and the head is platinum. The price is $2500, so a little more than I remembered, but I'm ok with that. I'm going to see it in person again next week and look more closely at the emerald.

I actually also just bought this guy to compare it to, it was about $1600. Also platinum and 18k gold, emerald is 1.87carats and there are .78carats of diamonds. Sold as art deco but I'm not sure if its a repro or not, I just thought it was pretty. I can return it if I prefer the first ring.

RRING53398_1_enlarged.jpg
RRING53398_4_enlarged.jpg

Suspect you will much prefer the first ring you saw in person. I can see the faceting and glow of the emerald in your hand shot even though it wasn’t a close up.

The emerald in the one you bought looks fairly included. The glow seems to come from the light coming in the back of the stone rather than reflected from the facets.

All this said, where are you finding these nice deals on vintage rings? I want some!

acv123

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Suspect you will much prefer the first ring you saw in person. I can see the faceting and glow of the emerald in your hand shot even though it wasn’t a close up.

The emerald in the one you bought looks fairly included. The glow seems to come from the light coming in the back of the stone rather than reflected from the facets.

All this said, where are you finding these nice deals on vintage rings? I want some!

Thank you! I'm eager to see them side by side since I don't have that much experience with emeralds. Besides haziness and color and surface reaching inclusions, anything else? I should receive the second bezelled art deco style ring today or tomorrow so I can bring it with me when I look at the first one.

The ring I bought yesterday was from the Real Real, the other one is from a dealer who I think is liquidating who used to be in the diamond district I think. They don't have a storefront anymore!

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you! I'm eager to see them side by side since I don't have that much experience with emeralds. Besides haziness and color and surface reaching inclusions, anything else? I should receive the second bezelled art deco style ring today or tomorrow so I can bring it with me when I look at the first one.

The ring I bought yesterday was from the Real Real, the other one is from a dealer who I think is liquidating who used to be in the diamond district I think. They don't have a storefront anymore!

Ah, I bought my zircon ring from TRR, it was a good experience. You can see it in the Zircons thread. Returning it should be straightforward then. Liquidation deals are the best :lol:!

acv123

Shiny_Rock
Premium
just a quick update to say I got the ring from the real real and found the emerald to be a bit flat. Even without being able to compare it in person to the first ring I could tell it didn't have the same depth and lustre. Here are some pics for reference. I set up a time to see and possibly buy! the first ring on Saturday, I'll let you know how it goes though I'll probably have to buy it then and there. Doing a little research on what I should look for, bringing my diamond tester and a loupe!

IMG_8894.jpg IMG_8899.jpg

lmyracle

Shiny_Rock
Premium
It's not near as pretty as the first one and doesn't have much life/glow to it (idk if you call it that). I'm anxious to hear more about how the first one checks out!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results