shape
carat
color
clarity

First Diamond Purchase (Did i get ripped off?)

rawringkai

Rough_Rock
Good day all,

Basically recently I blew a significant amount of my savings on a proposal ring and it was sort of a "pressured" purchase that left a huge uncertainty in my mind. Please advice if I got ripped off or not.

Basically the Price is $2940 USD with the diamond only
GIA, Round Brilliant,
5.77-5.79 x 3.65 mm
0.73 carat
Color I
VVS2
Grade, polish and symmetry - Excellent
Fluorescence None

However I missed out on the clarity characteristics during purchase which states Etch Channel, Surface Graining.
)))))))))))))))))))):

Please advice and thank you in advance.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In general, on based on the specs you listed alone, you paid a fair price for the 0.73c I VVS2. You could have done a bit better. But certainly, you did not get ripped off.

I would not worry about those inclusion characteristics in VVS2.

If you want a more complete assessment of the stone, please provide us with the GIA report number.

rawringkai

Rough_Rock
Hello,

Thank you for the assurance, at least I can breathe better now lol.

I'm a fresh grad from university hence these money is significant to me.

The GIA Number is 6192094024

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Table 54-58 (sometime 54-60)
Depth less than 62.3 (some only allow upto 62, while others allow upto 62.5)
Crown 34-35 (sometimes 33.5-36)
Pavilion 40.6-40.9 (sometime 40.5-41)

You want a stone with proportions that fall within the above ideal ranges.
Now, punch in all numbers here https://www.pricescope.com/tools/hca to check table/crown/pavilion complement each others.
You want a score less than 2.0 and/or "X" situated within the solid white border (white border represents AGS Ideal, whereas GIA X is represented by dotted border. As you can see, GIA's cut grading system is very lenient)

Now, your stone has HCA score of 3.6, the proportions are outside the ideal ranges, and "X" is situated outside the white border.
It is not a stone that many PSers would recommend. Again, it is still GIA XXX. I'm sure it's pretty. It is just there are better ones our there.
VVS2 is an overkill. VS1/2 is just fine. Even SI1 is fine, if you are selective.

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.73-carat-i-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-1879117
An example that has HCA score of less than 2.0, ideal proportions, and AGS Ideal proportions.
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.75-carat-i-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-1845731 (one of the best cut stones. Just look at the clean appearance and well defined arrows)

rawringkai

Rough_Rock
Sigh... Thank you. It's not too bad but it's a lesson I have to learn I Guess.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
At the end, you saw and inspected the stone in person. You liked the visual appearance. It is graded by the most reputable lab. It is still GIA xxx. You paid a fair price: i even say a good price from a brick and mortar store.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Good feedback from FlyingPig.

I will just add that 'etched channel' is a somewhat rare inclusion type, but ANY inclusion in a VVS will only visible under magnification, and usually only working under a microscope. That is, even with a 10x handheld loupe it is difficult to locate and resolve VVS level inclusions. So, absolutely nothing to worry about there.

There is no reason for a consumer to EVER feel pressured today. Even if your local market is small and options limited, online sellers today give consumers access to a huge selection of diamonds. Often with much more available information than that provided by your average jeweler. And lots of friendly and knowledgeable folks here to help you sift through the options.

rawringkai

Rough_Rock
Hello Flyingpig and Texas Leaguer

Words can't describe how grateful I am with the kind help that was rendered when I was feeling upset with my first purchase.

Mainly because I was only armed with basic knowledge of the "4Cs" in the GIA certs that are commonly taught online.

I have actually learned a lot on diamonds and this skills will come handy (hopefully) when I purchase more diamonds in future.

Once again thank you for the helpful information and the effort to analyse my diamond.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results