shape
carat
color
clarity

First Day at work.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
So I'm thinking of going for a record of lay offs in a month. Not that I've been laid off. Yet.

Work day went fine... stuck in a windowless fileroom made into a makeshift 'war room' with no air conditioning (big fan though)... but the work is inoffensive and the firm's policies are sane. Which is all one can ask for when doing contract work.

All was fine until I was leaving the office to go home, had parked at the valet (per the instructions I was given) and was going to pay to get my car... long story short I slip on a wet floor and fell. Madly hurting my knee. Two cops, two EMTs, and numerous people from both the building and the firm late... I'm at the hospital. In the middle of Newark (now that was an eye opening experience) with a badly sprainned knee I can't put weight on. Firm offerred me the use of a hired car at their expense to get back to work tomorrow. The rest is workman's comp. And I can only go in for a half day tomorrow (MD wants me off it for a week. Yeah, right). Firm has made it clear they only expect one thing. 60 hours a week minimum. I won't be able to work 60 this week....

So ... what do you think? I get fired on one pretext or another in... what? A week? Two?

Place your bets here.

7.gif
7.gif

marvel

Brilliant_Rock
No way are they going to fire you...can you say law suit! Sorry you had such a rough first day
7.gif

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
OUCH! Wow, I am SO sorry you had to go through all this! When it rains, it pours!

I bet they won''t fire you.

Hang in there!!!
35.gif

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh Gypsy, you poor thing!!! Honestly, I don''t think they''ll fire you. If possible, tough out as much as you can and then go back at it full tilt. And take as much pain medicine as possible without making yourself loopy!

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG Gypsy!!! I can''t believe it! Gosh, you''re going through a lot. Perhaps you should rest a lot (read: work minimal hours) these next couple days and then see how you feel later in the week. Maybe they''ll even let you take some work home?

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aw, Gypsy, I''m so sorry to hear about your injury, especially right when you started your new job. They''re not going to fire you, like everyone else has said. They''re probably going to do everything possible to help you and keep you on. The first job I started right out of college I worked for 3 weeks and broke my ankle, requiring surgery and a cast for 6 weeks. I was in a retail management position and the company would not let me work on the floor with my crutches as it was a liability. I ended up staying home at my parents'' house for 5 weeks while I recuperated. I came back to the job with every intention of succeeding and ended up winning employee of the month three weeks after I started working again! My point is, don''t let this setback defeat you. You will get through this and go back to work soon and be great!
35.gif
Sending positive vibes your way!!!
9.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Had to put in a workers comp claim. Yuck. More bad attention. The shiny black car is waiting outside (the car is early... I''m not ready yet)... and no they won''t fire me NOW. They can''t. But they will be able to in a couple of weeks for another reason, if they want to. We''ll see, I''ll go in for a while today. Thanks for the sympathy all. Much appreciated.
2.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
OMG you poor thing!!!! Any way you can do the work from home?? Just a thought. Hang in there and hope you heal quickly. Big HUGS!!!!

lizz

Brilliant_Rock
Now that''s a bad day.
8.gif
I am so sorry that happened to you.

I feel that if you handle this by talking to the powers-that-be and letting them know how much you really want to keep this job (remind them of your strengths), they will be understanding. We all have bad days, and luckily, most of us have understanding people there when we need them. Good luck!

klavigne

Shiny_Rock
Newark can be a scary place, especially at night. But in a few more years it''ll be like Hoboken is now, the state is dumping serious money trying to clean the place up.
I remember a few years ago you couldn''t even find your way around Newark, they (thugs) would steal all the street signs so it was easier for them to carjack people while they sat at an intersection trying to figure out where they were. It''s not nearly that bad anymore!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am so sorry to hear this, Gypsy! I hope your knee will be much better soon!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone. Day 2 went okay. Everyone seemed surprised to see me, although the supervising attorney on the case was obviously just relieved. I was only able to stay for 3 hours, half what I was planning on staying, but my knee really started to throb and I knew I needed to get it home and on ice. I was able to elevate it at work though.

The last couple of weeks have put things into perspective for me though. Even though I enjoy the freedom of contract work, and the money... I think I''m going to have to get going on seriously finding myself a permanent job. One where I have a little more job security. Not as young as I used to be and there are rumors that the job market is getting better... and since the miserable job market was why I turned to contract work in the first place... maybe all of this is telling me something.

If you see me on here too often... tell me to get on the job boards and look for a ''real'' job.
2.gif
I think it''s time. Commitment phobias not withstanding.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think that you showing up today, even for a few hours, spoke volumes about you and those people who were surprised to see you should take that into account! I hope you mend quickly and things work out the way that you want them to.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/23/2006 1:15:21 PM
Author: KPL
Newark can be a scary place, especially at night. But in a few more years it'll be like Hoboken is now, the state is dumping serious money trying to clean the place up.
I remember a few years ago you couldn't even find your way around Newark, they (thugs) would steal all the street signs so it was easier for them to carjack people while they sat at an intersection trying to figure out where they were. It's not nearly that bad anymore!

No. WOW, I had no idea it used to be like that. Although, after seeing the emergency room, I can start to fathom. It really made me realize how lucky I am.... This is a bit of a bumpy stretch...but I have a roof over my head, a man who loves me, my babies who are healthy (my pets, no kids), family who (while insane and at times intolerable) cares for me, and a job... and the ability to keep make good money and work long hours at it. And I'm healthy-- knee not withstanding. So... thanks for letting me gripe... but I'm gonna put my big girl pants on-- it is after all just a sprain in the scheme of things. Tomorrow will be a longer day at work... I am aiming for 8 hours. But will have to take an ice pack with me.

I wish I could bring work home... but I can't. For a couple of good reasons the work must be done there.

Thank you all again for your caring. And if any of ya'll know of a person at an agency on the east coast that places new attorneys in permanent positions-- a referral would be appreciated!

I am contemplating taking the CA bar this summer... but would have to give this job up to do so, so I'm not sure it's worth it. Was offered another position today, also temp. But it's only for 40 hours a week... which would let me study for the CA bar... so I may consider that. It starts on Tuesday.

I'm babbling. Stream of conciousness. Just... life in flux.

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry to hear about your injury:

Contract work has it''s advantages and disadvantages. In a case like yours - it is easy for a company to terminate the contract on non-performance if they want to (with no legal repercusions).

However, most firms understand that people are people - and have a certain amount of normal things happen to them.

In the vast majority of cases: If you put forth good effort in the face of an injury they will keep you on - and it may be the easiest way to earn a position as they watch other newbies who think that they don''t have to perform as well because they have "job security."

I would relax and just do what you can. The fact that they are providing a company car to transport you indicates that they want to give you every chance to succeed. Make the most of it - but don''t sacrifice your health either.

Perry

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, my workers comp claim was denied. I spent the day on the phone with lawyers. Will be back to work tommorow. If they want me. *Sigh*

Oh well.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/24/2006 3:52:09 PM
Author: Gypsy
Well, my workers comp claim was denied. I spent the day on the phone with lawyers. Will be back to work tommorow. If they want me. *Sigh*

Oh well.
That''s a shame. Why?? Oh so sorry, hang in there Gypsy. Big hugs!!!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
They said that the lobby-- since it''s a common area of the building-- isn''t under the control of my employer... so it''s not covered. Have talked to 3 lawyers to date.

One Shyster who was ''encouraging'' me to ''make sure'' that my back wasn''t hurting. Or my hip. Or anything else.
38.gif

One who was SURE I didn''t have a case. At all. But didn''t know the address of his own office (been there 5 years).
20.gif

One who works mainly for insurance companies and told me it could go either way, and that it''s fifty fifty. Which is a TOTAL lawyer answer... ''it depends''... so I asked him what attorney''s had beaten him recently and got two referrals to two decent attorneys.
3.gif

I may have a claim for the building owner/ manager to pay for the hospital and ambulance. I wasn''t insured at the time of the accident as I hadn''t filed paperwork for new agency''s medical insurance. And ambulances are expensive.

When it rains... it pours. LOL.

I did talk to the attorney in charge of my case, who is happy with the work I did do, and says I still have a position. So, as long as I get in there tommorrow after a visit to the doctor-- I should be okay. I hope.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
They needed to hire somebody, they looked for candidates, and they chose you. You''re clearly injured, not malingering. I bet they''d rather keep you than take the effort and risk of finding somebody else to hire--you were the best candidate when they chose you, and you''re making an effort to work even when sick.

Feel better soon!

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you will find that the building owners insurance company will pay without a quibble for your medical and related expenses. You cannot collet lost wages or for pain and suffering in most of these cases.

Perry

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy, I am so sorry I didn''t find this thread earlier. Kaleigh alerted me today when I started asking questions about your knee injury.

The whole ordeal sounds overwhelming and I''m so sorry for the cloud that seems to be hovering over you right now.

It''s a great sign that the company would send a car for you on Day 2, but try not to damage your knee any further by "toughing it out". Workers'' Comp here in Canada isn''t much help either. Since this is a contract job, your doctor''s *note* would not work either.

Lawsuit: As you know, could drag on forever and cost plenty.

Options: Difficult, but not non-existant. Tell the company you''ve contracted with what you ARE able to do physically for the next week or two and see what they say. The worst they can do is fire you, which would leave you free to pursue the other offer of *maybe manageable* fewer hours and time to study for the CA bar.

Above all, look after your knee as these injuries if aggravated can come back to slap you hard in the future.

Things were looking so promising for you when you landed the new job,and now a setback (it''s just a setback, not a terminal illness).

It''s hard to keep priorities in perspective when you''re in pain, but I''m sending hugs and wishes for only good things to come your way.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results