shape
carat
color
clarity

Finger Size Fluctuations

madgenius

Rough_Rock
I am in the process of having an engagement ring made. I had my GF's finger sized at a jeweler (a major chain but not the one doing the work) a few months ago. We were out looking at diamonds at another jeweler about two weeks ago and, on a whim, I asked them to size her finger again. It came out 3/4 of a size different!

Now I'm nervous and unsure how to proceed!

The first time her finger was sized the jeweler (sales associate) said it was 7 1/4. It was a hot day in a hot place (Phoenix in the summer). A few weeks ago we had it sized in Los Angeles (at two different jewelers) and it came out 6 1/2. Initially I thought the first jeweler was incompetent but I've heard that sizes can fluctuate based on time of day, temperature, and how many raisins you had in your oatmeal at breakfast.

Is it common for finger sizes to vary by that much?

I think I may need to have the ring resized as I told my jeweler to make it 7 1/4. Should I stick with 7 1/4? Have it resized to 6 1/2? Average the two and go with something around a 7? My GF says a 6 1/2 is "snug". I planning on her wearing this ring for the rest of her life so I don't want to have to grease her up to get it off if she's pregnant or something one day.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My hands fluctuate a half size. My size six is spinning on my hand in cooler weather and just fitting comfortably over my knuckles in warm weather. This is a tough one... I sometimes waned I had gone 1/4 size smaller... I hate the spinning... :errrr:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If she felt like 6 1/2 was snug, then I'd definitely make it at least 6 3/4 or possibly 7. Once she has a wedding band to wear with it, it will make it fit a little more snugly. But I'd definitely change the 7 1/4. She may have lost a few pounds in those months causing the ring size to go down. But regardless,I'd go by current sizing to decide.

Incidentally, many women will have to have their rings resized one or more times over a period of 50 years. :))

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
madgenius|1318903917|3042462 said:
I am in the process of having an engagement ring made. I had my GF's finger sized at a jeweler (a major chain but not the one doing the work) a few months ago. We were out looking at diamonds at another jeweler about two weeks ago and, on a whim, I asked them to size her finger again. It came out 3/4 of a size different!

The first time her finger was sized the jeweler (sales associate) said it was 7 1/4. It was a hot day in a hot place (Phoenix in the summer). A few weeks ago we had it sized in Los Angeles (at two different jewelers) and it came out 6 1/2. Initially I thought the first jeweler was incompetent but I've heard that sizes can fluctuate based on time of day, temperature, and how many raisins you had in your oatmeal at breakfast.

I think I may need to have the ring resized as I told my jeweler to make it 7 1/4. Should I stick with 7 1/4? Have it resized to 6 1/2? Average the two and go with something around a 7? My GF says a 6 1/2 is "snug". I planning on her wearing this ring for the rest of her life so I don't want to have to grease her up to get it off if she's pregnant or something one day.

LOL - dude, I hate to be the one to tell you this, but you might have to, no matter what.

In general, my hands happily fluctuate 3/4 of a size between winter and summer (not to mention other factors - salt, etc.). But now that I'm pregnant? Yeah, I've shot from being a 5 to being a 6.5. Good times!

My best advice would be that, if she's in on the proposal, get her a cheapie band to wear just to see what's comfortable. If not ... err on the side of caution, as it's easier to size a ring down than it is to size it up (within reason).

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
My rings fit pretty much the same in summer and winter, but that's because the limiting factor is the size of my knuckles. The fleshy parts of my fingers swell in when it's hot, but my knuckles don't, and my rings are sized large enough to get over my knuckles. They do feel tighter vs. looser depending on the weather, but I couldn't give you a number in terms of size.

madgenius

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the replies

diamondseeker2006|1318904404|3042471 said:
If she felt like 6 1/2 was snug, then I'd definitely make it at least 6 3/4 or possibly 7. Once she has a wedding band to wear with it, it will make it fit a little more snugly. But I'd definitely change the 7 1/4. She may have lost a few pounds in those months causing the ring size to go down. But regardless,I'd go by current sizing to decide.

Incidentally, many women will have to have their rings resized one or more times over a period of 50 years. :))

Good point Diamondseeker... I can perhaps get a "snug" wedding band and use it as a bookstop (of sorts).

Circe said:
LOL - dude, I hate to be the one to tell you this, but you might have to, no matter what.

In general, my hands happily fluctuate 3/4 of a size between winter and summer (not to mention other factors - salt, etc.). But now that I'm pregnant? Yeah, I've shot from being a 5 to being a 6.5. Good times!

My best advice would be that, if she's in on the proposal, get her a cheapie band to wear just to see what's comfortable. If not ... err on the side of caution, as it's easier to size a ring down than it is to size it up (within reason).
Thanks for making me smile. This is a big, expensive purchase and I get so anxious about getting any little thing wrong. Maybe I better have a bottle of baby oil (or super glue) on hand just in case.

jstarfireb said:
My rings fit pretty much the same in summer and winter, but that's because the limiting factor is the size of my knuckles. The fleshy parts of my fingers swell in when it's hot, but my knuckles don't, and my rings are sized large enough to get over my knuckles. They do feel tighter vs. looser depending on the weather, but I couldn't give you a number in terms of size.
Jstarfireb... are your rings loose enough to spin around during the cold months? Can you determine if the rings you wear are at the top or bottom of your size "range"?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I fluctuate a bit. Also, the sizing rings used might not have been standardized-- very common problem. I would buy a cheap ring (fake thing at kmart) that is her size and comfortable THAT HAS THE SAME WIDTH as the one you are buying and give/send it to the custom jeweler and he can make the ring to the same size... whatever that is.

The width of the ring, the fluctations of your finger, and the sizing specifications of the rings being used can all be issues. It might not just be her finger.

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, a finger can easily fluctuate 3/4 of a size. Mine fluctuates between a 6.25-7. I chose a size 6.75 ring because I like my rings loose, so I would rather have it a bit big than small. Sorry to throw in another variable!!! But, ya, it also depends how she likes her rings. If she likes them looser, I would go for a 7, because it would be on the looser side most of the time. If she doesn't mind it a bit more snug I would go for the 6.75. Rings get tighter on the finger when stacked, as others have said. So I wouldn't do a 6.5 cuz it will be too tight as soon as she puts a wedding band on.

Question: were you walking around a lot when she first measured her finger? My fingers get really swollen when I walk or hike--especially in hot weather!

madgenius

Rough_Rock
tuffyluvr|1318917037|3042562 said:
Yes, a finger can easily fluctuate 3/4 of a size. Mine fluctuates between a 6.25-7. I chose a size 6.75 ring because I like my rings loose, so I would rather have it a bit big than small. Sorry to throw in another variable!!! But, ya, it also depends how she likes her rings. If she likes them looser, I would go for a 7, because it would be on the looser side most of the time. If she doesn't mind it a bit more snug I would go for the 6.75. Rings get tighter on the finger when stacked, as others have said. So I wouldn't do a 6.5 cuz it will be too tight as soon as she puts a wedding band on.

Question: were you walking around a lot when she first measured her finger? My fingers get really swollen when I walk or hike--especially in hot weather!

We went straight to the store so I wouldn't say we walked around "a lot". It was, however, super hot outside (it was June, I believe) and it was an outdoor mall in Phoenix. The store was air conditioned though.

Since we don't live in a comparably hot climate perhaps I should use the 7 1/4 as a ceiling, whatever I decide.

I certainly appreciate the input.

I'm also going to have a talk with my jeweler and see what he thinks. He does this for a living, after all...

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would start with a seven if she doesn't know and go from there.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Agreed, a 7 should work for all but the dead of summer, and even then you might have to lube her finger up. If you do 7 1/4 get sizing beads in it to fill some space in the winter.

I would go get it sized where you live, size it at a few places through out a couple days if you can, and do an average.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
madgenius|1318903917|3042462 said:

I think I may need to have the ring resized as I told my jeweler to make it 7 1/4. Should I stick with 7 1/4? Have it resized to 6 1/2? Average the two and go with something around a 7? My GF says a 6 1/2 is "snug". I planning on her wearing this ring for the rest of her life so I don't want to have to grease her up to get it off if she's pregnant or something one day.[/quote]

haha I really hope you were joking with that comment and not serious. DH and I have only been married 5 years and I have had to resize my ring twice already. It is either resize or don't wear it at all. When I got pregnant my fingers swelled and my size 5 3/4 went to a size 7. Then when we moved to a warmer climate it went up another 1/2 size. Sizing is really no big deal.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
My size also fluctuates based on weather, if I've eaten salty foods, etc. We won't even talk about what happened to my fingers when I was pregnant, LOL! I would anticipate that you will have to have her rings sized at least once during your 50+ year marriage. If you're concerned about it, make sure that you select a style that CAN be sized easily (i.e. one that doesn't have pave/melee around the entire shank)...I also love Gypsy's idea about getting a cheapie in the same width as the ring you're planning to get and seeing if that size is comfy.

cookies

Brilliant_Rock
IMHO, the best way to figure out the size is to try on different-sized silver bands, which have a shank width/shape similar to the ring you want to get. It is important to leave the silver band on for at least a day, as the finger size fluctuate throughout the day (and the month) and you want to make sure it's not too tight when the finger is swollen. You could get cheap 2mm, 3mm silver bands on eBay, for <$10 each. I figured out my size this way. The jeweler thought I should wear 7.25 but I feel a lot more comfortable wearing 7.75 or 8.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
You've gotten some great advice, and I just wanted to add that no matter what you do, she'll probably end up resizing it after she's worn it for a while, since it's reeeally hard to know how a ring is going to fit until you've had it on for a while.

And fingers fluctuate. A LOT. Mine are currently doing the fun trick of fluctuating almost a full size and a half from morning to night.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mine fluctuate 3/4 to a full size between summer and winter and easily change a 1/2 size during the day.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results