shape
carat
color
clarity

final decision...please advise

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ynot

Rough_Rock
it has come down to the following two diamonds...any input would be greatly appreciated. Both are super ideal cuts. Both are GIA cert.

carat: 0.93
depth: 60.9%
table: 56%
girdle: thin to medium, faceted
culet: none
polish: ex
symmetry: ex
clarity: vs2
color: G
fluorescence: none
pinpoints not shown
surface graining not shown

carat: 0.92
depth: 61%
table: 55%
girdle: thin to medium
culet: none
polish: ex
symmetry: ex
clarity: vs1
color: H
fluorescence: FAINT

my concerns for #1 are faceted?, pinpoints, surface graining.
my concerns for #2 are color, fluorescence.

Any opinions, thoughts on what your choice would be, are greatly appreciated at this crucial final decision point.

thanks in advance
ynot:))

luckyguy

Rough_Rock
I would suggest finding out what the crown and pavillion angles are for these stones. I know it sounds like an ordeal, but it would be worth finding out to see if they are way outside the norm. Gia certs just aren't enough in my opinnion. They do at least get you in the ballpark and onto third base, though.

It definitely "appears" that you've found nice stones according to the GIA certs. With VS1 vs. VS2, I would choose the higher colored stone, because with most stones you won't be able to discern a difference between the two clarity grades with the unaided eye.

I guess that I should point out, however, that I recently bought a TRUE eye clean SI2 E colored diamond with no dark inclusions. I'm very sensitive to color and since the inclusions in this particular SI2 are not visible from either above or from the side of the diamond, I chose to purchase an E colored diamond for its "color." In other words, I did not even choose to step into the VS range, because I didn't find it necessary with my priorities. With G vs. H, some would say it is not a big deal since it is only one color grade apart. I would say that logic is more true with VS1 vs. VS2 and would choose to put my money into a higher color even if it is only one color grade difference.

With my preference for high color grades, and not knowing crown and pavilion angles, I would choose the G stone. But, you may want to wait to make that decision after learning of the crown and pavilion angles.

Lastly, if you have access to the stones, you could always just look at them and see which one you like better. Be sure to look at the stones under various light conditions (low light, outside-direct sun vs. shade, etc.). You won't go wrong if you spend time just looking at the stones and end up choosing the one that is more pleasing to you or the person you are buying it for.

ynot

Rough_Rock
luckyguy thanks for responding....here are the crown and pavillion angles...i don't have access to the stones which makes it a little tough.

crown angle: 34.4
pavil angle: 40.9

crown angle: 34.4
pavil angle: 40.6

luckyguy

Rough_Rock
O.K.,
I ran your numbers through the HCA (can be found at the top of your screen under the link "cut-adviser," and both stones scored exceptionaly well.

Stone #1 scored a 1.1 and is considered "excellent" by the HCA.

Stone #2 scored a 0.5 and is considered "excellent" by the HCA.

Here is a quote from the cut advisor page: "A score below 2 (Excellent) means you have eliminated known poor performers (more than 95% of all diamonds). Your own personal preference may be for a diamond with an HCA score of 1.5 more rather than one with a lower score of say 0.5."

Basicaly the two stones now just come down to personal preference. However, there is one last thing that I would do, which is to ask Leonid who is always lurking around this forum somewhere to run the diamcalc for both of these stones so that you can find out what the gemadvisor program says about these two stones. I found the gemadvisor program to be very useful in my last purchase.

ynot

Rough_Rock
can someone briefly explain what a faceted girdle represents....also what is surface graining.

thanks

ynot

Rough_Rock
leonid can you please run these through the diacalc

carat: .932
diameter: 6.35mm
total depth: 60.6%
crown angle: 34.2
crown height: 14.7%
pavil angle: 40.8
pavil depth: 42.9%
culet: 0.5% V.small
table size: 56.1%
girdle thickness: 1.4% medium

carat: .918
diameter: 6.31mm
total depth: 60.7%
crown angle: 34.3
crown height: 14.8%
pavil angle: 40.8
pavil depth: 43.1%
culet: 0.3% none
table size: 56.1%
girdle thickness: 1.4% medium

thanks in advance

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results