shape
carat
color
clarity

Final decision help between two asscher cuts. 1.3 vs 1.5

curlyrainbow

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone

I am down to my final decision between two asscher cut diamonds. I do luckily have extensive info, videos,images etc.
The decision is between the two asscher cuts on the right in the video. The 1.5 in the middle and the 1.3 on the right. Please let me know your opinions . Leaning towards the 1.5 at this point but any help you can offer would be great.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/7932

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/8253/

and here is the video:
http://www.youtube.com/diamondinfoman#p/u/2/JS2PEf7GJkI

Thanks again! You guys are awesome!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd go for the 1.5. I think it is a beautiful stone! I just like the overall cut of it best. And it doesn't hurt that it is the largest especially since asschers face up small.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gosh, I'm so confused now. I only was able to skim the video because i have to leave soon ... but I kinda liked the 1.3 the best this time! I think because it's cut is most similar to my own .. more narrow windmills, more emphasis on the step square outline rather than the windmills. I think Karl would call it a "bright drop" cut maybe? Or maybe a "narrow step" -- I don't know ... it looks more organized to me and more STEP cut. The 1.5 has size on its side ... and the bold windmills & chunkier flashes might be more WOW in person than the 1.3's -- it depends on what you're most valuing.

I'll try to come back later this am & watch the vids in their entirety & see if my mind changes.....

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I prefer the 1.5

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Even if they were the same size I prefer the cut on the 1.5.
It seems to have more contrast, which in asschers translates to more of that sense of depth and that 3D hall of mirror effect.
I also prefer the proportions that result from its windmill widths.

Plus I can't help being influenced by that fact that the 1.5 got GOG's lifetime guarantee and the 1.3 did not.
That means they do not want the 1.3 back.
Even ignoring being unable to return the 1.3 far in the future, I'd wonder if it is not cut as well as the 1.5.
There must be a reason, even if it is not visible to my eyes.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kenny- both of them have lifetime guarantees,

from just stagnant pictures I prefer the 1.3, but based on ASET and the video, now I think I prefer the 1.5... hmmm I'll have to go back to the video and look again. Really your personal preference on what appeals to you.

ETA:
ok... so I like them equally, but because my asscher looks more like the 1.3, I like that one more obviously i'm biased there ::) , The 1.5 have stronger windmills effect. The size didn't seem to matter too much to me, but it could matter to you since asscher faces up so much smaller than most other diamonds shape.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
D&T|1303582883|2903454 said:
Kenny- both of them have lifetime guarantees,

1.5 has a Lifetime Guarantee
1.3 has a Limited Guarantee

BTW I preferred the 1.5, and made my above post, before seeing the side by side video.

Picture 18.png

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lol.. you are right Kenny :wacko: I went back to look at it..

and agree with Kenny, because of the lifetime guarantee, I might be more swayed towards the 1.5 for that reason.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Apparently GOG just changed how they describe their various guarantees in their listings.

In this thread from the same OP about the same asschers . . . [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/asscher-cut-deciding-between-three.159639/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/asscher-cut-deciding-between-three.159639/[/URL] . . . I posted that the 1.3 ct. listing said 10-Day Guarantee.
(It did; I didn't make that up.)
It no longer says that.
Now it just says, "Limited Guarantee".

Now GOG's guarantees look more similar and no longer mention 10-day unless you go to the link, perhaps to not draw attention to the differences.
D&T may have just offered proof that the two policies now DO look more similar.

I'm certainly not saying GOG is doing anything wrong; I'm just pointing out what is so.

I don't think there's anything wrong with only wanting only better stones back and having various guarantees that reflect the desirability of various stones.
I'm sure GOG would like to sell ALL their stones - but if someone is posting asking for advice in their selection process I think it is legit to mention this.

Asschers are hard to select.
There is no HCA or lab cut grading.
Our asscher expert has been silenced by joining the trade and having a professional relationship with GOG.
I'll use any data I can to help with an asscher decision.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Certainly no expert, just a step-cut lover. This is jmho- I actually prefer the 1.3 ct diamond- I find the thicker windmills in the 1.5 to be distracting, and there is a darkness across the middle that I see that I just dont love...I feel that I can appreciate the cut of the diamond more in the 1.3 stone.

Best of luck with your decision, and please come back with pics!!! :appl:

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock
I prefer the 1.5 (2nd one). It has a more complex and therefore more interesting light pattern than the others. The first one has the step cut look, the last two are brighter but the step cut gets lost. Only the 2nd one has a good combination of both. It was more fun to watch.

curlyrainbow

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone

Thanks so much for all the replies. In regards to the lifetime guarantee, GOG does not offer a lifetime warranty on either of the diamonds. They are only offering a 10 day guarantee. They did offer to put a lifetime guarantee on the 1.5ct but it will cost approx $500 extra. I am not sure to go with it or not as I am really not sure on the purpose? Is it just incase I want to upgrade my diamond in the future? does it provide any other use?

The price difference between the 1.3 and the 1.5 is around $3000 if that helps anyone in the decision.

Thanks again for all the extensive information by the way!

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock
The price difference is probably due to the size difference? Do you have a preference for one size over another?

I'm not that familiar with Asschers; I was just responding to the 2nd diamond that seemed more interesting visually. Its just a fascinating diamond.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
curlyrainbow|1303602063|2903706 said:
Hi Everyone

Thanks so much for all the replies. In regards to the lifetime guarantee, GOG does not offer a lifetime warranty on either of the diamonds. They are only offering a 10 day guarantee. They did offer to put a lifetime guarantee on the 1.5ct but it will cost approx $500 extra. I am not sure to go with it or not as I am really not sure on the purpose? Is it just incase I want to upgrade my diamond in the future? does it provide any other use?

The price difference between the 1.3 and the 1.5 is around $3000 if that helps anyone in the decision.

Thanks again for all the extensive information by the way!

There listing says t=the 1.5 does have a lifetime guarantee.
I posted a screen capture of it above.
The listing still says that now.
Shouldn't they stand by what they publish on their site?
If they claim it was a typo, why does it still say Lifetime guarantee now?
Wouldn't they have fixed it immediately when you asked?

Here's another screen capture I just took.

Picture 19.png

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
well $3k is a nice difference that can go towards a very beautiful setting. If you don't think you will want to trade up later, then I would not concern yourself with the trade in policy. Many want to have that "option" later. Now that I have something I want to hold onto indefinitely, I don't worry too much about a trade in policy and find that I could just as well sell on the second hand market and come out ok. Many jewelers will do consignments and you could very well get back what you paid for diamond later down the road.

curlyrainbow

Rough_Rock
They basically made a mistake on the original listing they gave me. They brought in three diamonds, gave me the links etc, and video taped them. Then when I questioned why the GIA certificate they sent me didn't match the listing they realised they made an error with the listing and showed me the 'real' listing.. Its all super confusing! By that stage I had already put the diamond on hold, and they had told me it doesn't come with a lifetime warranty unless I pay the extra $500. I think the whole thing is strange considering the listing does say it includes a lifetime warranty. I have emailed them again to find out whats going on, I am starting to loose track of what I am actually buying.

I don't care about the upgrading thing, it is an engagement ring so I wouldn't ever change it as it has sentimental value, but I do think it just makes me feel more "comfortable" about the quality of the diamond when there is a lifetime guarantee.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results