shape
carat
color
clarity

Fibrocystic breasts and reduction

merrijoy

Shiny_Rock
Hello!

Does anyone here have Fibrocystic breast pain and has had a reduction? Did the reduction ease the pain? The surgeon suggested it does not guarantee relief because the surgery does not necessarily take out the lymph nodes that swell. But maybe it helps because the reduction will decrease the weight that is pulling down? What were your results from the surgery? Are you ok with the way the scarring looks?

Any other relief to Fibrocystic breasts? I know doctors and the web suggest cutting caffeine, but I need my one cup of coffee a day to stay awake :).

Thanks!

M

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have not, and do not need a reduction but I have fibrocystic issues. I quit caffeine altogether (after years of on-again, off-again diet Coke and coffee habits) probably 18 months ago and have had absolutely no problems with pain or lumps since then. Quit the caffeine completely, you will definitely see improvement if not total recovery. Caffeine is SO horrible for you anyway...my boss who is 44, was suffering heart pains a few weeks ago. His diagnosis? Esophageal inflammation from years of diet Cokes, all throughout his chest, up into his sinus areas. He quit the diet Cokes the same day.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I have fibrocystic breasts and wish I could get a reduction. Reducing caffeine, eliminating it altogether, is best. My best friend had miserable pain until she eliminated all caffeine. I haven't gotten up the courage to eliminate all my caffeine yet. I reduce pain by having hot showers and a well-fitting, supportive bra on during all waking hours. I use ibuprofen during certain times in my cycle to reduce inflammation too.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

merrijoy

Shiny_Rock
Wow! That's amazing you quit and for so long so far. Good for you! Any suggestions on helping quitting? I did not drink too much coffee this weekend and I had two migraines :(.

Wondering if your boss's sickness was from the acid of the soda or the caffeine?

Ok, final question. I know someone who is not large breasted but also has fibrocystic breasts. Just curious, mine feel like I have rocks on the side of my breasts close to my rib cage and is so freakin painful, it sucks. It hurts with a bra, it hurts without a bra. Cycles every two weeks. I feel like the weight of the large breasts makes it worse. Did yours feel like this?

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mine seemed to be affected by hormones, so PMS was far far worse than someone without breast issues. I would literally wake myself up in the middle of the night (I'm a side sleeper) by rolling over, that's how bad the pain was.

I used to drink 1-2 cups of coffee in the morning at work, and then I would have a diet Coke sometimes at lunch. I wouldn't say I was a super heavy caffeine drinker. You might start drinking half-caf and wean yourself gradually so you can avoid the migraines as much as possible. Also, I would take whatever NSAID of your choice to assist with headaches when you start weaning, as a preventative measure. If you get headaches from withdrawals you will be tempted to just have a cup of coffee or soda as a quick fix.

I think my boss's problem was partly the caffeine and partly the acid, and possibly the fake sweetener. He has been off the sodas for 5-6 weeks now and is feeling much better.

megumic

Brilliant_Rock
Me, me!

I had fibrocystic breasts that were painful cyclically. Although it seems your case is more extreme than mine, I had lots of breast tissue that would not disappear simply by losing weight because it was, well, breast tissue. I had a reduction when I was 18 from bigger than a DD to a small C. IT WAS THE BEST DECISION I EVER MADE.

Not only did it relieve the monthly pain I would feel, I was instantly happier. I didn't have trouble finding clothes to fit, I could move easier, running didn't require 2-3 sports bras, my shoulders began to take proper form instead of sloping and being uneven, I could go on.

That was nearly 10 years ago and I would do it again in one second. The scarring is there, but it's minor. Most cannot tell (not that I've shown a lot of people, but if you were here I'd show you. I'm pretty sure posting pics of my tata scars on PS might get me kicked off!) I don't know how old you are, but I think my age had something to do with the scarring healing so well. I have minor spots where there is certainly scar tissue underneath and it hurts sometimes, but less than the monthly pain.

The one potential downside that I will hopefully find out about soon is whether I can breastfeed. I insisted they leave my mammary glands and milk stuff in place and my nipple remained attached. I'm hoping, fingers crossed, I have no problems. If I do, I will be upset, but I will also accept that I have enjoyed a higher quality of life for the past 10 years based on that surgery.

I think it's key to interview at least 3-4 surgeons before moving forward. Every surgeon has a different technique and each leaves different scars that heal differently. The recovery, again depending on age, is not that bad. I only needed pain meds for 2 days and then just took advil. Also, my surgery was covered by insurance as a medical necessity. Start documenting back pain, cystic breast tissue, etc. Ask each physician involved to write a letter to your insurance company regarding why it is medically necessary to do this procedure. Mine was covered 80% via out of network coverage.

Another thing that helped me immensely before the surgery was taking 800 IU of Vitamin E per day. Check with your Dr since it is a mega dose, but it helped me feel less pain within a few weeks.

Good luck and let me know if you have more questions! It's a tough decision to make, but it was the right one for me!

merrijoy

Shiny_Rock
monarch64|1308796898|2952565 said:
Mine seemed to be affected by hormones, so PMS was far far worse than someone without breast issues. I would literally wake myself up in the middle of the night (I'm a side sleeper) by rolling over, that's how bad the pain was.

Yes! This has been me. It was especially bad last night. When I roll over it feels like they pull down hard and put pressure on the lymphs. Ugh to being sleepy. I guess this is why they say you should wear a lightweight bra at night, but I like feeling free at night but hate the pain :(.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think a light bra would do it for you. I used to sleep in a sports bra over a regular underwire bra and when my pain was at its worst that didn't help very much. The thing with a sports bra is that it merely minimizes movement, doesn't stop it altogether, so you'd still have to deal with pain, perhaps just a bit less of it.

I think your doctors/surgeon candidates will tell you first to get rid of the caffeine, see if there's any improvement, and if not proceed from there.

My mother had the same problems, but gave up a Pepsi habit long ago, after having children and before menopause. She was a DD after having me...a reduction was not something that was recommended to her at the time (but that was 30-some years ago.)

soocool

Ideal_Rock
I am in my mid 50s and had suffered from fibrocystic breast when I was younger. I am a 34DD ( just measured properly last year) and had been a D cup since my teens. I gave up all caffeine in my 20s and my breasts were no longer tender, until I became pregnant, but that only lasted the first few months and then went away. (I went up 1 cup size when I was pregnant and went back to a D cup a few months after giving birth).

In addition to giving up caffeine I also restricted my salt intake and I think the 2 in conjunction helped tremendously.

I do drink coffee and tea, but caffeine free and limit my choclate intake to 2 squares of Lindt 85% dark chocolate.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results