Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Fencing options? What do you think is the best bet?

winnietucker

Brilliant_Rock
I have about 4/5 of an acre in a suburb of Seattle. I need some kind of fencing done next year. Way too many loose dogs have roamed onto my property and some of the neighbors in a rental duplex down the street have let their dog into our yard to do their business.

We were thinking either a “green fence” with t-posts and wire as an additional barrier. The pros are this is DIY territory for us because it’s essentially gardening and I love that.

Another option is a cedar privacy fence We got some quotes and to do 2 sides (one side has fencing already and my husband and I can’t agree on what to do with the front) and that will cost about $16k. My husband refuses to DIY this.

I’m leaning toward green fence but am not really a fan of the arborvitaes I’ve seen used. Can I get opinions? My main goal is to keep my dogs in our yard and to keep other dogs/ people out of it.

winnietucker

Brilliant_Rock
I’d also like to start free ranging my chickens if anyone has suggestions on how to safely do that. We surprisingly have coyotes in our area as well as raccoons and other animals I’m sure.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chain link is great in that repairs are easy to make. But, if you want to keep dogs out of any fence, you'll have to bury it or run a concrete base.

winnietucker

Brilliant_Rock
Chain link is great in that repairs are easy to make. But, if you want to keep dogs out of any fence, you'll have to bury it or run a concrete base.
When I tried to get quotes for chain link I was either told they didn’t do it or it would be about the same price. And for that much I’d prefer wood.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I tried to get quotes for chain link I was either told they didn’t do it or it would be about the same price. And for that much I’d prefer wood.
Its not so much the installation cost that you save, but the repair costs. With wood, you have to repair the whole affected panels and its a big pain. We had 5 panels with damage and it was not easy to repair. My inlaws have chainlink any can easily repair the damage without moving or changing the poles. With chain link, the panels hand on the fence posts. With wood, the panels are between the posts. I agree its not the prettiest, but for a large space with a lot of vegetation, it fades into the background.

winnietucker

Brilliant_Rock
Its not so much the installation cost that you save, but the repair costs. With wood, you have to repair the whole affected panels and its a big pain. We had 5 panels with damage and it was not easy to repair. My inlaws have chainlink any can easily repair the damage without moving or changing the poles. With chain link, the panels hand on the fence posts. With wood, the panels are between the posts. I agree its not the prettiest, but for a large space with a lot of vegetation, it fades into the background.
That is a solid point. And part of the yard is fenced with chain link so it would match.

LisaRN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have an acre and chose a cedar privacy fence for the backyard. I like it for the beauty and privacy.

Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    The Original: Princess Raiyah Of Jordan
    The Original: Princess Raiyah Of Jordan
    Celebratory Engagement Ring Upgrade And Bracelet
    Celebratory Engagement Ring Upgrade And Bracelet
    Chiguys's Cushion Cut Engagement Ring
    Chiguys's Cushion Cut Engagement Ring

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.