shape
carat
color
clarity

FEMA food kits may contain tainted peanut butter

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gullfoss

Rough_Rock
So are you suggesting that the government did this on purpose? I may be one for a conspiracy theory but this is rediculus. FEMA is not a "big bad entity". The individual people that work for FEMA are no different than your family, friends and neighbors. They are people who uproot their lives to go to terrible disaster areas to help complete strangers get back on their feet. Yes, I work for FEMA. I doubt you have seen what I have seen, the goodness in us little people who work for a government agency, the kindness of complete strangers helping others, the tragedy.

What about all the grocery stores and food manufactures who sold the tainted product? Are they "bad" too or is just way more fun for the media and other ignorant people to bash FEMA?

And so what if I am a newbie with few posts. I have been lurking on this site since 2003 and there are always more than one side of a story.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2009 10:13:26 PM
Author: Gullfoss
So are you suggesting that the government did this on purpose?
of course they didn''t but it happened.

As far as FEMA goes for the money invested they do not provide value.
FEMA came in here after the some flooding a couple years ago it was a mess.
A friend of mines house was flooded and a bunch of people pitched in and got him on his feet again much much quicker than those that relied on FEMA.
By the time FEMA even got here we had him relocated to safe area and had already started the salvage process on his house and belongings.
Once we had his well under way we helped out others.
Then FEMA tried to order us out of the area and we told them where to jump and continued the clean up.
He lost a lot less than anyone else in his area because of the quick action.
FEMA''s contribution they dropped off a case of water that we didn''t need and hassled everyone going in and out and tried to get the sheriff to keep us out.

Gullfoss

Rough_Rock
Well I know that all the money in the disasters I am familar with have had to go through the state first. They state then has control of "delegating" where funds go. FEMA does not tell State (or local jurisdictions) what to do. Did your friend have flood insurance? because NFIP claims were some of the first paid out right after Katrina. I still think that most people do not "get" what FEMA is all about. I have heard all the disgruntled stories and some of them are quite transparent. I also understand getting to your property and posession ASAP after a disaster but if FEMA had said "come on in" and someone got "hurt" I''m sure y''all would be sueing faster than you can bash them.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2009 10:38:50 PM
Author: Gullfoss
Well I know that all the money in the disasters I am familar with have had to go through the state first. They state then has control of ''delegating'' where funds go. FEMA does not tell State (or local jurisdictions) what to do. Did your friend have flood insurance? because NFIP claims were some of the first paid out right after Katrina. I still think that most people do not ''get'' what FEMA is all about. I have heard all the disgruntled stories and some of them are quite transparent. I also understand getting to your property and posession ASAP after a disaster but if FEMA had said ''come on in'' and someone got ''hurt'' I''m sure y''all would be sueing faster than you can bash them.
State farm had a claims agent out before FEMA showed up and looked it over.
One of the people helping out was the claims agent.

I will give you that is one huge problem for FEMA and what went wrong in the Katrina mess was 95% the local and state level.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey man. We''ve got to get unreasonable regulation off the back of business. We do that, The Market will take care of everything. Business can be relied on to police itself.
20.gif

Another GAO Report Faults FDA

Gullfoss

Rough_Rock

FEMA cannot go into any disaster until a state specifically requests help. Then DAEs, COREs, contractors, etc put their life on hold and leave their families to help people they do not know in places they have probably never been. If the disaster is big enough they may hire local employees. Some disasters you can see coming several days out, like hurricanes, and that can give time to get ready to react (but even then they can change course at the last minute). Other disasters like earthquakes and flooding can happen without warning so then the scramble begins to get there from (sometimes) all over the country. Most of us do it because we are good hearted people. Of course there are always a few bad apples but I have been pretty lucky in that I have had very positive experiences interacting with people I am here to help. Sometimes it gets very disheartening to constantly be always in the limelight for the wrong and not the good. At least I can sleep at night knowing there is good, a lot of good going on and I am helping people build their lives back.

Like I said it''s different perspectives and the truth is not always onesided. And it is true that FEMA may not be the first person one sees after a disaster. My grandmother-in-law stayed for Katrina and she said that the first people she saw afterwards was a utility company from Kentucky. I have heard good and bad stories. People want to help but we are all just human.

Gullfoss

Rough_Rock
Strmrdr I know your point of view is very vailid based on your experience. I just wanted to share that there is a good side. Thank you for letting me "vent" my side.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results