shape
carat
color
clarity

Feeling like I need support

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh no @lovedogs I am so terribly sad for you. Love her and kiss her for all the time you have left.

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am sorry. I am sure you will treasure each day you have with your adorable puppy. It is never easy to deal with the heartbreaking news about a loved pet.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I’m so very sorry. She’s beautiful! Whatever ends up happening, I hope whatever tome she has is spent soaking up love and yummy treats.

Sending hugs to you @lovedogs....

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you all for your kindness! I should also mention another issue I have with the surgery.....there has only been 1 scientific paper discussing long term outcomes of this procedure, and only in 100 dogs. As a scientist/practitioner, that is REALLY not comforting, and means much more research is needed. Obviously it's great they can do anything, but it still is quite new. And of the 100 dogs, 16% had serious complications within the first 72 hours. Which also doesn't boost my confidence. I certainly have the utmost respect for the surgeon and the procedure, but just don't think I want my puppy to be one of so few dogs to do something so risky.

@SandyinAnaheim I'm going to email you this morning. I certainly hope the vets estimates are wrong and the meds/food can help her live longer! That would be amazing, and wonderful.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am so sorry @lovedogs. Pets are such a huge part of our lives. I spend more time with my dogs than my kids. Enjoy the time you have with her. And hopefully it will be longer than you expect. Hugs and prayers for you.

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@lovedogs, am so sorry to read this—What a tough thing for all involved. I’d have to echo what others have said: lots of hugs, walks, car rides & what ever else the ‘treats’ are in life for your precious fur-baby. Having grown up with poodles, my 82 yr old mother opted for a labradoodle this time around, & loves Pearl to peices.

I had a recent scare with my 14 yr old, but he did turn the corner & now is seemingly fine. He does have liver disease, & we know he will eventually be compromised by that. In the mean time, it’s hugs/walks & any thing he wants within reason. I just keep reminding myself how fortunate we are that we had an opportunity to have him in our lives. Sending hugs to you!

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m so sorry for all of you. Hopefully the vet will have his timeline wrong in your case. Sending you so many hugs.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you all for your kindness! I should also mention another issue I have with the surgery.....there has only been 1 scientific paper discussing long term outcomes of this procedure, and only in 100 dogs. As a scientist/practitioner, that is REALLY not comforting, and means much more research is needed. Obviously it's great they can do anything, but it still is quite new. And of the 100 dogs, 16% had serious complications within the first 72 hours. Which also doesn't boost my confidence. I certainly have the utmost respect for the surgeon and the procedure, but just don't think I want my puppy to be one of so few dogs to do something so risky.

@SandyinAnaheim I'm going to email you this morning. I certainly hope the vets estimates are wrong and the meds/food can help her live longer! That would be amazing, and wonderful.

I completely understand this. I was shocked that my Newfoundland, Griffin, had gone so far downhill when I went away for a few days and boarded him that when he came home he collapsed. He couldn't walk at all, but there was hope he would. I know that some of the vets at Cornell, where he was hospitalized, questioned my desire to go all out to save him (which I did). Since I had said I didn't want him euthanized, they called me at 5AM to say they were going to have to do an extreme surgery for esophageal paralysis (one my Lab, Biscuit, had had when he was younger and stronger) to save his life. I said absolutely not. I would not put that dog with all that he had gone through through another major surgery. Enough is enough. You cannot deliberately inflict pain and suffering when there is only a tiny glimmer of hope that the animal you love will live through it, let alone get better. Let him go. I would want someone who loved me to let me go.

I wish I could comfort you. You have such a big heart, lovedogs.

I will hold you in the light,
Deb

Edited to clarify that I was saying that I said to myself "Let him go" about Griffin, not that I was advising you to "Let her go" with your puppy, lovedogs. When I reread what I wrote I was appalled to think that anyone might have misconstrued what I had written in haste.

Last edited:

tigertales

Shiny_Rock
What sad sad news. But miracles happen, even, or especially, with bad diagnosis.
I love her darling face. Thank God she has YOU to care for her. You are a blessing to be her mom and see her through all this. She couldn't ask for a better person or a better home. I'm seriously crying right now.
Praying for miracles.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry about this and really feel for you!! As @TooPatient said: you're well informed and you have her best interest in mind, so whatever you decide, I'm sure it will be the right decision.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry about this and really feel for you!! As @TooPatient said: you're well informed and you have her best interest in mind, so whatever you decide, I'm sure it will be the right decision.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
lovedogs! I am so sorry, so wish I could take it away for you. Just love the pup. Give her the best. my heart is with you.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@lovedogs, I am so sorry, my heart is heavy for you. She is beautiful and so lucky to have you as her mom. Sending tons of love, comfort, and support to you. (((Hugs)))

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's absolutely heartbreaking. Lovedogs, I'm so sorry xxx

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m so sorry @lovedogs . Love her and enjoy every moment with her. Give her the best life possible. Sending lots of dust and hugs to you and praying you have many years with her.

I wish I could take this pain away.

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm so sorry to read this news about your sweet girl. Big hugs to you all.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dear @lovedogs I'm keeping you and sweet pup in my thoughts and sending continued good wishes and gentle hugs your way.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am so sorry lovedogs...this is heartbreaking. I like that you are choosing to look at this situation differently. That she was here to teach you something.
No matter how long her life is, I know you will make it the best ever. For you, I hope, in time, that you can appreciate the time you have with her and
the knowledge she helped bring to your family.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovedogs, It has all been said, so just adding my condolences to your sad news. She is so fortunate to have you. Perhaps that is why she came to you and not to someone else.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@lovedogs I’m so sad for you..She looks like such a sweet girl...I hope you have a much longer time to spend with her than the vet gave you. I’m sure she will get a lifetime of love and kisses from you until then. Big {{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am so sorry to hear this, @lovedogs. She’s lucky to have you as her mom and I hope she beats the odds.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
((hugs))

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
IMG_0508.JPG We have a 12.5 year old doodle and he is the best decision hubby and I have made as a couple. He goes to work with DH, and patients actually confirm that our boy will be in the office for their appointments. My heart breaks for you. I have words for your "breeder".....

Just love her and hope she beats the odds.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_0508.JPG We have a 12.5 year old doodle and he is the best decision hubby and I have made as a couple. He goes to work with DH, and patients actually confirm that our boy will be in the office for their appointments. My heart breaks for you. I have words for your "breeder".....

Just love her and hope she beats the odds.
Omg what a precious creature!!! I love that pic! We hope she lives longer than expected. She is just the best dog in the world.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh @lovedogs I'm so very sorry to hear your terrible news. And especially since you have the endure this heartache on your own for a bit...it's just too sad. Big big hugs to you and your beautiful fluffball.

LaylaR

Shiny_Rock
Trade
It's different when they are young. I've lost 4 cats in the last several years. 3 of them were with me for over 12 years, and while I mourn them deeply I have years of memories, and I know that I gave them everything I had. But one of them was a kitten, she was 10 months old and only mine for 6 months. We only had 3 weeks from diagnosis to death because she had wet FIP. And when she passed it was a different.loss. A loss of potential of years of memories and love that you didn't get together. There was an anger, a feeling of unfairness that lingers.

I am so sorry this is happening with your puppy. Pack as much into the time you have. Give her any treat she wants, go on walks and spoil her and take as many pictures as possible. Especially while she's still asymptomatic.

And ((hugs)) to you.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, I am sorry to hear this @lovedogs. Being a dog lover myself I understand this is a kick in the gut to you.

While words can never sooth the void you are feeling I do hope they give you strength, hope and courage to get through this difficult struggle.

First, stop beating yourself up about the situation. Your baby is unlucky and the surgery is expensive, risky and does not provide a promise of a true recovery. This is the toughest part because we always want to do whatever we can to save those we love. But sometimes we have to embrace the situation and accept it for what it is.

Second, try to enjoy your time. If you read I'm sure you've encountered long and short books. If you found good books, they always leave you thirsting for more regardless of the length. It's been my experience it's far less about the duration and more about the journey. In a sense, you've been given a gift. You understand the "book" is shorter than you desire so maximize every day you get completing it. There will be time to mourn later. But for now, maximize both you and your fur baby's happiness.

Lastly, when the dreadful time comes allow you the time and space to properly mourn. Several years back I had to put down a Sharpei I had since I was a kid. That dog had been through lots with me and had been there when I had no one else. I cried like a 5 year old boy as the vet administered drugs the last minutes of his life, but I had the peace of knowing we maximized our time, while some surgery options were available they were patches and not a fix but mostly in his eyes he was tired and I knew he was ready. To be honest, that hurt for a good year or so. Then a girl I was dating was insistent on getting a pup as we were living together. I was hesitant. Through an ad I then found my choc lab, Stella. She stole my heart and her personality, attitude and mannerisms remind me a lot of my Sharpei. She's not a replacement by any means but rather the current chapter in my life. I cherish her and the time we get for what it is because I know regardless how long I get I am going to want more. My point is keep faith. This is a portion of your journey but your baby is preparing you for the next segment and you don't even know it.

Head up. And smile. Hope you have a great day! :cool2:

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
oh lovedogs, I know how you feel, I know this feeling of emptiness. Please know I send you caring and loving thoughts, I am here anytime just tag me, I send dust for your pup and for you, your dog has the BEST human. ((((LOVEDOGS)))) and Iam sorry, truly sorry that we lose something that gives every minute of every day to their human. Enjoy this time and I too hope your pup beats the odds.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results