shape
carat
color
clarity

Feedback on a dress

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bought this dress for a wedding. Ceremony will be early evening, overlooking the beach, the reception inside, in the hotel. The invitations don't mention how to dress, their website says to be comfortable, because it will be hot.

Do you think this dress could work? I would pair it with gold necklace and shoes.

_6341993.jpg

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very nice - it looks totally appropriate to me! I must admit I'm having trouble visualizing it with gold shoes. I'm sure you could make it work, but I'd probably go with black or a bold color.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
VRBeauty|1310226876|2965486 said:
Very nice - it looks totally appropriate to me! I must admit I'm having trouble visualizing it with gold shoes. I'm sure you could make it work, but I'd probably go with black or a bold color.

ditto. i don't see gold shoes with it.....a much more bold color, especially red. even yellow, purple, green.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wouldn't gold shoes be heavy?

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with prior posters. The dress looks appropriate for the occasion, but I would go with shoes that are black or a color in the dress.

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
I really like surprising pops of color and would personally pair it with these yellow pumps. Gold seems too muted and like you are trying to be fun but too scared to jump right in.

Christian-Louboutin-Rolando-120-Patent-Leather-Pumps-Yellow.jpg

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
It's lovely; metallics are neutrals so I think gold would work, especially with a pickup in your jewelry and perhaps a small gold accent in your hair.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks great.

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
aviastar|1310231922|2965531 said:
It's lovely; metallics are neutrals so I think gold would work, especially with a pickup in your jewelry and perhaps a small gold accent in your hair.
I agree! Though I also like the yellow pumps Sparkly Blonde posted for a real pop of color(though I could never walk in those...)

tigian

Ideal_Rock
Definitely works. Are the gold shoes a pump or strappy sandal? I think strappy sandals or even open toe wedge look less heavy than the pumps.

Lanie

Brilliant_Rock
If your personality works with the pop of color, go for it. If it doesn't, gold strappy would be fine. Or a light taupe/nude color pump would look good. I wonder with beach weddings...do they have planks down to walk on, or do you go barefoot?

Anything would look better than the shoes the model is wearing. :cheeky:

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I think it would be great with gold shoes! nice dress :)

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Great dress, definitely appropriate. For the shoes, I guess I'm fairly basic, I would just pull a color from the dress. Are you going to be walking in sand? If so, pick something you can slip off easily.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks so much everyone!

I am glad you think the dress would be appropriate. I'm used to more traditional evening dresses and I wanted to make sure this was OK for a wedding.

The girl who helped me with the dresses at the department store is the one that suggested gold shoes. She said they should be "really gold" not a subdued gold. When she first said it, I couldn't picture it either, but the more I thought about it the more the idea grew on me.

The problem is, I tried a few very bright gold shoes and necklaces and they just don't look good against my skin. So I may end up doing a deep purple, or a blue - in the same intensity as the colors in the dress (I tried on a purple necklace and it looked great, so I know it can work). She said a nude shoe could work also - but again, that is tricky against my skin.

Sparkly - I love pops of color too. But you hit the nail on the head - the dress is "fun" enough for me. Funny that you used that word, because that's exactly what the girl at the store said "I want to see you in something fun." So although I love the look of the yellow shoe, I couldn't carry it.

There's no walking on the sand, as far as I know - the ceremony is overlooking the beach on a terrace.

Tigian - the shoes I have right now are these

They look nice on my foot - not so great on my legs - I think I do need a bit of a chunkier shoe (maybe a little platform in the front) to balance out my legs, which are on the heavy side. ETA: actually these do have a little platform, which I think is good. What I mean is more open to show more of my foot so it doesn't "cut" my legs.

The dress definitely doesn't look as dainty on me since I am not thin and have hips. I worry that it may be too tight, actually. I never wear dresses so even wearing one is a stretch. Maybe I should take a picture of me in the dress so you guys can tell me if it looks OK on me...

spacer.gif

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I love the dress! And I think it would look even better on a curvier woman than that model! :)

I like the shoes you have, but the only two issues I'm having are 1.) I feel like any type of ankle strap cuts off the legs. I think the pumps that Sparkly Blond posted helps to elongate the legs and 2.) The design is a little busy paired with the design of the dress.

I love the idea of doing a a bolder color in purple/blue. My first thought was a great royal blue, I love the way it looks with black/white. If doing a bold color, though, I'd definitely keep the shoe simple. You're going to look fantastic!

Hera

Ideal_Rock
I think it's really pretty but I think it feels more fall time rather than something for an event in summer near a beach.

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
NewEnglandLady|1310258562|2965724 said:
I love the dress! And I think it would look even better on a curvier woman than that model! :)

I like the shoes you have, but the only two issues I'm having are 1.) I feel like any type of ankle strap cuts off the legs. I think the pumps that Sparkly Blond posted helps to elongate the legs and 2.) The design is a little busy paired with the design of the dress.

I love the idea of doing a a bolder color in purple/blue. My first thought was a great royal blue, I love the way it looks with black/white. If doing a bold color, though, I'd definitely keep the shoe simple. You're going to look fantastic!

I'm a huge fan of a t-strap pump. You get the security of the straps while the T elongates the foot and draws the eye vertically making your legs long. What about this Michael Kors? Nice neutral color can give you mile long legs (depending on your skin color of course) and I like the little detail of the zipper :)

http://www.vonmaur.com/Product.aspx?ID=60038&source=googleps

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock

merrijoy

Shiny_Rock
Sparkly Blonde|1310410248|2966627 said:
merrijoy|1310405219|2966565 said:

ooh, that first dress with the shoes I found :cheeky: :bigsmile:

Wow, Yeah, they go very nicely together...I think I want that dress. :naughty:

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think that dress is definitely appropriate :)

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you again all so much for your ideas :appl:

I have to tell you, I've been going bonkers trying to accessorize the damn thing - it is NOT easy. What would seem like it could work, doesn't.

The dress doesn't say "beachy" to me either - I was struggling with the fact that the colors are not summery. But in real life the dress is brighter than it appears in the picture - and it does liven my skin up. It still doesn't make it a sundress - but after trying dozens of dresses this was the best one for me overall.

I still can't tell you what I'll end up wearing with it because the dress is at the tailor (getting taken in at the top a bit) - but I think the winner is going to be either an off-white/bone or a deep burgundy/brown shoe. I have both options ready and waiting for when I get the dress back. :cheeky:

This was definitely the hardest dress to accessorize I've ever run into! What's funny is that on the website for the dress they also show it with the same ugly brown pumps - they couldn't figure it out either LOL

I'm thinking of wearing a string of off-white pearls with it - actually, maybe not a single strand but 3. Any thoughts on that?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results