shape
carat
color
clarity

Feedback Appreciated - Should I buy?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

NYCEngagement

Rough_Rock
Hello - I am considering buying an antique ring from a jeweler here in NYC, longtime friend of my family. Can someone read below and tell me if it look like a good deal? They are asking $22k - below is the appraisal info from IGL - any feedback is much appreciated!

Antique diamond ring, hand crafted platinum setting
Set in 8 short prongs, over a latticed basket with a round old-european cut diamond, sider by 6 smaller diamonds, pave set, 3 on each wing

The Center set diamond -
approx 10.30 - 10.40 x 5.7mm
Wt - 3.68 carats
Depth: 55.1%
Table: 48%
Girdle: thin to slightly thick, frosted; Culet: very large
Polish: Good
Symmatry: good
Clarity: SI-1
Color: K (slightly tinted)
Fluorescence: Very faint blue

ILikeBond

Shiny_Rock
Depends if you like old european cuts. 3.68 carats is a lot of stone to get for $22k, but that''s why. Some people like OECs, but they''re not as spectacular as an ideal cut modern round.

NYCEngagement

Rough_Rock
To me it seems to "bling", but I''m not a trained eye.

Is the fluorescence something to worry about?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome.

I know nothing about these old cuts, but I can tell you fluorescence is nothing to worry about, and even very nice in a K colour, however with faint you might not ever notice it.

NYCEngagement

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the feedback - I''m just wondering if I should sacrifice some of the size for a bit better quality...

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmm...I wish Dave or someone were here, who could help you...As far as quality, if you mean the K colour, it is my understanding that the K L M colour diamonds were prevalent among these OEC''s, so that isn''t necessarily a bad thing if you can embrace the colour as being part of this old treasure''s charm. As for the clarity, an SI is a good middleground if eyeclean, as you have seen the diamond. I don''t know anything about IGL labs to say anything there. Is it the fact that it is an OEC and maybe you would prefer a modern round brilliant? That is a lot of diamond for the money, but if this old lady isn''t for you, then maybe it might be best to go smaller with a modern cut. You could always see about getting an appraisal of the diamond while mounted to get a valuation and " health check" of the rock, and make the sale contingent on that, to make sure it checks out. See if the vendor would be agreeable. Pics???

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/1/2006 11:13:39 AM
Author: NYCEngagement
Thanks for the feedback - I''m just wondering if I should sacrifice some of the size for a bit better quality...

I don''t really trust a cert other than GIA or AGS. IGL?? it''s not uncommon to find old stones with no cert though but I''d want to have the stone and setting checked out my an independant appraiser who is familar with OEC''s. Dave atlas in Philly comes to mind as well as any of the popular appraisers here could do it. See if the seller will send it to one of them for you, you''d have to pay but would be worth it to me if you''re going to spend 22K, before you buy. Or, if you must buy, make sure there is a return policy in place if the specs don''t match or the stone doesn''t get a thumbs up by the appraiser. I personally love OEC''s, the chunky facets are gorgeous and in the stone that size they would really give a rainbow light show. But, I''d want to make sure the 22K is well spent.

also, the stone is shallow, most OEC''s I''ve seen/looked at are cut deep, the table is very tiny too. Definitely have the stone checked out by someone independant of the sale...

ljmorgan

Brilliant_Rock
Looks like a good deal to me! And the fluourescence is probably a blessing with that K color -- a good thing! But you''ve seen it... if it sparkles, sounds good to me.

NYCEngagement

Rough_Rock
IGL was what I was given - International Gemological Laboratory?

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
I have to say that I have never regretted going for an OEC over a modern cut. IMO, they are a superior match for my particular taste. I wanted a diamond that would look entirely bright and sparkly no matter what the lighting. It''s not as firey as a modern diamond, but I kinda doubt a modern diamond would light up a dim airport bathroom.
31.gif

No matter how dreadful the lighting, my OEC looks wonderful. However mine is at %60.6 depth and I''m not sure of the table but it''s fairly big, if I had to estimate visually I''d say just under 60%. My diamond is small and a larger table makes it look bigger. It also doesn''t have a large cutlet.

Have you compared your possible choice to other OEC''s?

Oh, and are the side diamonds single cut or full cut? Single cut melee diamonds were pretty common back then, and mine aren''t very sparkly.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
it could be a great buy if you love the look of the stone. I still think you should have it looked at by and independant appraiser for their feedback. IGL is a grading lab, just not respected the same way AGS and GIA are. however, like a said, Old stones don''t usually have a major lab certs, and I don''t think you necessarily need one, just have a qualified pro look it over.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results