shape
carat
color
clarity

Blog February Birthstone 2021 - Amethyst

bcmacdonald

Staff member

bcmacdonald published a new blog post.
If you are a February baby, your birthstone is Amethyst - a purple to violet color quartz. The word “amethyst” comes from the Hellenistic Greek “amethystos”, which translates simply as “not intoxicate” - so it’s no surprise that the ancient Greeks wore the stone and decorated drinking vessels with it in...

Continue reading the Original Blog Post.

Last edited by a moderator:

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@bcmacdonald thank you for a great post. I didn't know amethyst was so highly valued in the past.

This is DW's amethyst and turquoise pendant, I estimate the amethyst to be around 30ct. When DW first spotted this piece in an estate jewelry store I tried to talk her out of it. I just knew amethyst was cheap. She insisted, and of course she was right, as always! =)2 It's the beauty of a piece that counts!

Amethyst Pendant A.jpg Amethyst Pendant B.jpg

No idea of the origin of this amethyst. Once we can travel again, we are hoping to take a trip to the famous Four Peaks area in Arizona, and find an American amethyst for a matching ring.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
@bcmacdonald thank you for a great post. I didn't know amethyst was so highly valued in the past.

This is DW's amethyst and turquoise pendant, I estimate the amethyst to be around 30ct. When DW first spotted this piece in an estate jewelry store I tried to talk her out of it. I just knew amethyst was cheap. She insisted, and of course she was right, as always! =)2 It's the beauty of a piece that counts!

No idea of the origin of this amethyst. Once we can travel again, we are hoping to take a trip to the famous Four Peaks area in Arizona, and find an American amethyst for a matching ring.

What color flashes?
If its just purple its likely Brazil.
Red flashes it could be four peaks.
Red and blue both could be Siberian or atleast Siberian type.

Any article about amethyst without mentioning Siberian or 4Peaks is not very well researched.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

That's gorgouse
It reminds me of a very Victorian combinatin

Amethyst did not used to be nearly as plentiful as we know it
it was highly valued and beautiful pieces adorned royal collections

Anethyst was a suitable jewelry choice for the 2nd stage of Victorian morning at court
I think this gave it a bit of a bad rap and its fallen out of favour with the British royal family saddly
but Sweden has this (on the hair to the throne) HRH CP Victoria
2017-0128-amethyst2.png

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@prs What a lovely piece and lovely taste!

I think I might have a (more lowly and less impressive, but also vintage) distant cousin...

gpc amethyst ring 1.jpg

gpc amethyst ring 2.jpg

gpc amethyst ring 3.jpg

@RightHandRocks what a gorgeous piece, I think you have the little sister to DW's pendant. :love:

I had been wondering how we would ever incorporate turquoise beads into a matching ring, and now I know. Thank you so much for the inspiration!

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That's gorgouse
It reminds me of a very Victorian combinatin

Amethyst did not used to be nearly as plentiful as we know it
it was highly valued and beautiful pieces adorned royal collections

Anethyst was a suitable jewelry choice for the 2nd stage of Victorian morning at court
I think this gave it a bit of a bad rap and its fallen out of favour with the British royal family saddly
but Sweden has this (on the hair to the throne) HRH CP Victoria
2017-0128-amethyst2.png

Well now we know Wallace Simpson and Princess Victoria both rock amethyst pieces. I guess DW is going to feel like royalty when she wears hers! :)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
After looking at this blog, I’m absolutely enamored with the combo of turquoise and amethyst.

Now we need to have a tiara with amethyst and turquoise!!!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
After looking at this blog, I’m absolutely enamored with the combo of turquoise and amethyst.

Both stones get a really unfair rap from some quarters imho

These days they are both more affordable, plentiful and available in all prics points with varying degreees of quality and design aesthetics, compaired to the beautifully crafted pieces from the Victorian period

Its snobbery by the ill-inforned who judge amethyst and tourquoise so

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

@T L I'm very much looking forward to seeing a really spectacular tiara perched atop your head. =)2

Lots of pics please!!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results