shape
carat
color
clarity

Featuring in a Bridal Magazine

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
I have been approached to do this.

FI, who loves the limelight, is all for it.

I'm not so sure.

Seems like I'm just giving a lot of vendors free publicity without getting more favourable rates (not that I've asked for a discount if they are mentioned in the mag. Should I have??)

Has anyone ever featured in a bridal magazine?

Would you do it if approached?

Pros and cons?

Would love to hear your thoughts!

Thanks!

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We were married on Valentine's Day in a civil service at the County Admin building - we were approached about 30 minutes beforehand by the local NBC TV news crew requesting to have our wedding televised "live" -- we said "no thanks" -- besides feeling it a private occasion, we were told we'd have to move our location and have a certain "set up" to accommodate the cameras, etc., etc.

But you seem to have quite a bit of notice, and it would be for a print publication -- basically I'm inclined to think it could be super-great to have this kind of documentary of your wedding occasion -- but I would definitely require my/our pre-approval of the piece prior to publication, with nothing to be published without our express approval.

This is just me - and I am unfamiliar with this territory -- but I don't think I would expect or request vendor concessions or discounts simply because my wedding is being featured -- in a way, this heightens the pressure on them to perform even better. On the other hand, if it was to be one of my vendors being featured, and my wedding was to be used in order to showcase that vendor, I would feel entitled to a discount.

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
marymm|1300544876|2875181 said:
This is just me - and I am unfamiliar with this territory -- but I don't think I would expect or request vendor concessions or discounts simply because my wedding is being featured -- in a way, this heightens the pressure on them to perform even better. On the other hand, if it was to be one of my vendors being featured, and my wedding was to be used in order to showcase that vendor, I would feel entitled to a discount.

I am inclined to agree. While I'm sure your vendors will be credited in the piece, it is no more of an advertisement for them than their website or portfolio, or reviews on sites like theknot and weddingwire. For me, I would need to see if they wanted photos from my already-contracted wedding photographer, or if they were planning on bringing in their own. If it was the latter, that may be a breech of contract with your photog, so be careful. Also, I wouldn't want that many cameras swarming around my wedding day fighting over shots and lighting. I think that would be my personal make-or-break point. Also, would they be doing some kind of "on the spot" reporting from your wedding (ie, interviewing guests) or would it be an "after the fact" type contact, where they perhaps contacted your nearest and dearest for their favorite moment/detail/special touch?

I could definitely see it being fun, but also very stressful.

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
So, most of the features I've seen in bridal magazines are just photos from the wedding (provided by the wedding photographer) with a little write-up about the day and what was important to the couple, highlighting certain special elements. In that sense, there is nothing added over a normal wedding.

Is this something different?

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
I'm definitely not agreeing to having more photographers there. I've got two photographers and two videographers already, any more would be insane. My photographer is more than happy to get her images into a national magazine.

I haven't asked for any discounts, and wasn't planning to. Thanks for confirming my viewpoint.

As long as I can have pre-approval, I think I'm ok with it.

I'll let you know what happens! :))

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Ours is going to be in a bridal magazine but it has nothing to do with any vendors. We chose all of our vendors before we were even asked to be in the magazine. They're interested in us moreso because we are doing a lot of 'unique' things with our wedding. Not so sure I'd wanna choose vendors based on being in a magazine though. Go with what you like and whatever rates you find acceptable.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
I've chosen almost all my vendors already (except for the florist as I'm not keen on spending the $20,000 on flowers she wants!)

I suspect they are very keen on my rather stunning venue (a Palladian mansion) We're not doing anything terribly unusual. It's all very classic: black tie, string quartet, formal dinner, fireworks etc.

I must admit I'm a bit suspicious as to why they are so keen!

Anyway, I'll probably say yes to please my FI (he's been unwell, see thread on hangout for more details)

suchende

Brilliant_Rock
I think it would make a neat heirloom to pass down in your family. It might make it a bit more stressful in the short term but fun in the long term.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
We were in a local bridal mag and it was so cool! People who I haven't talked to in years saw us and called to congratulate... It was really fun. The pictures looked wonderful, and they sent us a few free copies so we and our parents could have one. I would definitely do it again.

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
Our wedding just featured in a 4 page spread for a fashion magazine. We got to see it a few days before our first wedding anniversary and I thought it was the best anniversary present, a great keepsake that not everyone gets to have.

Having said that I found out about it on the exact same day that our photographer decided to cancel on my friends wedding, 3 weeks before the big day. So I am annoyed that he got the credit and free advertisement with the 4 page spread when he backed out on my friend at the last minute!

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
rosetta|1300556763|2875253 said:
I've chosen almost all my vendors already (except for the florist as I'm not keen on spending the $20,000 on flowers she wants!)

I suspect they are very keen on my rather stunning venue (a Palladian mansion) We're not doing anything terribly unusual. It's all very classic: black tie, string quartet, formal dinner, fireworks etc.

I must admit I'm a bit suspicious as to why they are so keen!

Anyway, I'll probably say yes to please my FI (he's been unwell, see thread on hangout for more details)

They probably really like the feel you have going for you wedding :) Keep us updated!

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Yes maybe that's it

If you're not anonymous on PS, I would love a link to your magazine article when it's published autumn. Do you know which magazine it will be in yet?

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
rosetta|1301130071|2880614 said:
Yes maybe that's it

If you're not anonymous on PS, I would love a link to your magazine article when it's published autumn. Do you know which magazine it will be in yet?

I'll definitely send a link :) I'm not sure which one just yet!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results