shape
carat
color
clarity

Feathers around girdle

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

goldenstar

Brilliant_Rock
I have been looking online for SI1 stones in the 3ct range. I''ve noticed that the stones of this size and clarity frequently have several small feathers around the girdle. I''ve seen it so often that I''m wondering if I should go for a higher clarity in the size that I want.

Why do I often see feathers around the girdle of this size/clarity combination and is this something I should avoid for durability sake?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/13/2006 5:39:29 PM
Author:goldenstar
I have been looking online for SI1 stones in the 3ct range. I''ve noticed that the stones of this size and clarity frequently have several small feathers around the girdle. I''ve seen it so often that I''m wondering if I should go for a higher clarity in the size that I want.

Why do I often see feathers around the girdle of this size/clarity combination and is this something I should avoid for durability sake?
this shows bearding http://www.jewellerycatalogue.co.uk/diamonds/images/bearding.jpg

This is a by pproduct of the bruting or rondisting process and is usually only mentioned and not down graded for clarity.

It is not a problem for durability - if a stone has been treated so harshluy during bruting it is probably never ever likely to break.

But no bearding is nicer

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You should add, Garry, that bearding is avoidable and unnecessary.

Live long,

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/14/2006 6:32:33 AM
Author: Paul-Antwerp
You should add, Garry, that bearding is avoidable and unnecessary.

Live long,
Yes - I meant to write that, but got short by visitor arriving for dinner.

It is shody workmanship - rushing the job

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Paul, how is bearding avoided?

Don''t rush by pressing too hard on the polishing wheel?
Maintain the wheel in better condition?
Make sure the angle of the stone is correct as it is applied to the wheel?
Inquiring minds. . .

IF this is unanswerable because it is proprietary just say so.
I''ve heard if you are deciding between two otherwise similar stones bearding can help you decide since it is an indication of poor workmanship.

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/14/2006 7:30:26 AM
Author: kenny
Paul, how is bearding avoided?

Don''t rush by pressing too hard on the polishing wheel?
Maintain the wheel in better condition?
Make sure the angle of the stone is correct as it is applied to the wheel?
Inquiring minds. . .

IF this is unanswerable because it is proprietary just say so.
I''ve heard if you are deciding between two otherwise similar stones bearding can help you decide since it is an indication of poor workmanship.
Bearding has nothing to do with polishing, it is a result of bad bruting.

I would not call it sloppy or poor workmanship, it is just really bad workmanship.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Paul.

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
Here''s the plot for something I''m thinking about having a look at. Almost all of the features shown are feathers. Are the ones in the girdle area how bearding as you''re describing would be plotted? See any warning signs other than needing to determine whether any of these are reflective and eye-visible?

feather-plot.jpg

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/27/2006 6:14:31 PM
Author: elmo
Here''s the plot for something I''m thinking about having a look at. Almost all of the features shown are feathers. Are the ones in the girdle area how bearding as you''re describing would be plotted? See any warning signs other than needing to determine whether any of these are reflective and eye-visible?
has to be seen by a trusted expert in person.
bottom line!!!

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
I hear you Strm. Seeing this plot made me think back two weeks to this thread and Garry's comment about durability, and Paul's about workmanship. BTW heard you were having surgery - hope you're doing well now.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ladies, wouldn't feathers around your girdle tickle your tummie?
9.gif

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Haven''t there been such questions about brutal (bruted) girdles? :)

Bruting creates the face-up outline of the stone, using one diamond to grind against another on a lathe, rounding it into shape.

Kenny: Bearding can result from too much force, to much friction allowed to build up, rushing the job, etc.

Another image: http://www.bwsmigel.info/Lesson7/images.wl.7/girdle.beard.jpg

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
That's funny John, and like what I was thinking, that if the plot is to scale and the feathers there are the result of bearding (east, south sides), that the effect was pretty "brutal"
1.gif
. Nice pic from Barbara's site BTW. But this brings me back to what made me think about the original post - there are enough other feathers/fractures in the material in other locations I'm wondering whether those around the girdle actually resulted from bearding, or possibly something else. I'd probably need Kenny's microscope to post pics for analysis
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results