shape
carat
color
clarity

Feather

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

HeavenPerfection

Rough_Rock
Hi, I am new to these boards and would like to ask a question about the clarity of a diamond. I found one that I like, but it has a feather on the pavillion. Is that anything that I should be concerned about? Thank you.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Whats the clarity grade?
Is the feather open to the outside?

HeavenPerfection

Rough_Rock
It is a SI1. I don''t believe that it is open. In the GIA picture, it is pretty much dead center.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
If its eyeclean then no worries.
The only way to tell that is have someone look at it and tell you what they consider eyeclean then if it is or not.

HeavenPerfection

Rough_Rock
I saw it myself and it didn''t take away from the beauty of the diamond. But, some one told me that a feather on the pavillion can affect the brillance of the table or that passage of light. Is this true? I hope not!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/26/2007 10:23:32 PM
Author: HeavenPerfection
I saw it myself and it didn''t take away from the beauty of the diamond. But, some one told me that a feather on the pavillion can affect the brillance of the table or that passage of light. Is this true? I hope not!
not enough to matter at si1 unless it reflects as dark all over the place face up which isnt that common.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/26/2007 10:12:24 PM
Author:HeavenPerfection
Hi, I am new to these boards and would like to ask a question about the clarity of a diamond. I found one that I like, but it has a feather on the pavillion. Is that anything that I should be concerned about? Thank you.
Depends on a few factors...
Is the feather positioned closer to the girdle or culet?
Is it a straight ''plane'' feather or is it curled, rounded? Some straight feathers are virtually see-through (best case scenario).

The closer the feather to the culet area... the more it will reflect throughout the stone..., the closer towards the girdle area, the more hidden.
But again, it all depends on the type and position of the feather in regards to the light passing through the Diamond.

A close-up image will help...

HeavenPerfection

Rough_Rock
How would I find out the type and position (where on the pavillion) of the feather?

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/27/2007 9:23:01 AM
How would I find out the type and position (where on the pavillion) of the feather?
A) on the plot of the grading report..., that is good for type and position only!
B) In reality, I would need to see the Diamond to determine the optical effect of the feather to the appearance of the Diamond!

HeavenPerfection

Rough_Rock
So if I bring in the diamond to get appraised they can tell me if the feather has any optical effect on the diamond?

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/27/2007 6:27:43 PM
So if I bring in the diamond to get appraised they can tell me if the feather has any optical effect on the diamond?
or to a trust-worthy person who has professional knowledge in this field!

skphotoimages

Shiny_Rock
It''s just my opinion, but I think feathers tend to make a diamond cloudier once the diamond is a little dirty. I''ve avoided feathers in the past. I''m sure it depends on possitioning and cut though.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results