Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

FB addiction

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Oct 5, 2010
Messages
1,190
I got rid of my FB account almost a year ago; I had been worried about the privacy changes for a while but what really did it for me was something totally different.

I had a lightbulb moment in which I discovered that I was putting undo pressure on myself and my romatic relationship based on the superficial look into other people's lives I got via Facebook.

I am a saner person who spends less time at the keyboard for deleting the account.
 

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Nov 3, 2009
Messages
7,565
Interesting, though, that there is a splurge of dopamine in our brain each time anyone clicks "Like" button in response to our postings...
 

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Feb 27, 2007
Messages
24,119
I've been thinking of ditching mine too. 3 of my 5 employees are my friends and I am starting to think that's not such a good idea to see some of the things they say. I worry about privacy too.
 

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 15, 2005
Messages
20,039
It's a process addiction. There are many types (gambling, sex, shopping, etc) and with the prevalence of wireless internet, affordable laptops, smart phones it will only become more common.
 

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 30, 2008
Messages
5,078
Next time you're out at a mall, just start observing people's hands. It is staggering how many of them have one hand filled with a phone that they are not using, but are simply holding...I suppose in a constant state of readiness that they might get some text/twit/FB update? (It certainly won't be a PHONE call, because actually talking with a real voice to real people is soooo passé, so 20th century.) And of course that doesn't include those who are using them and ignoring any people who might be with them (and running into other people, or fountains). The people with them don't notice anyway because they're usually doing the same thing. Yep. That's living. :rolleyes:

I know it's a car ad, but it's my favorite at the moment. Not only does it resonate because of my age, but it's also a pretty scathing comment about FB and "social networks" in general.

http://facebook-iframe.org/video-questions/2011-toyota-venza-commercial-social-network/
 

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Feb 12, 2011
Messages
4,609
I know it's an addiction but hopefully the lesser of the known evils... Shopping, gambling, eating, drinking..... dang... is there anything fun to do anymore that's not an addiction??? :confused:
 

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 15, 2005
Messages
20,039
Mayk|1311517402|2975702 said:
I know it's an addiction but hopefully the lesser of the known evils... Shopping, gambling, eating, drinking..... dang... is there anything fun to do anymore that's not an addiction??? :confused:
Not everyone who engages in these activities will become addicted. Obsession, compulsion, negative consequences (social, occupational, physical), withdrawal (agitation, panic, irritability) are signs there might be a problem.
 

shihtzulover

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Jun 30, 2010
Messages
717
Mayk|1311517402|2975702 said:
I know it's an addiction but hopefully the lesser of the known evils... Shopping, gambling, eating, drinking..... dang... is there anything fun to do anymore that's not an addiction??? :confused:
I know! It really seems that way. Seriously though, I guess anything enjoyable can become an addiction, since if we like doing it, we might become obsessed with it.

Also, have you ever noticed that almost everything that we really enjoy is bad for us? Fried foods, sweets, being out in the sun, etc.


Seriously though, I am quite active on facebook, and I am concerned about privacy. I have a kind of boring life (I've never been a party person or anything like that), but sometimes I'm afraid of people judging me based upon the groups that I join, etc. I know that people can always judge no matter what, and social networking isn't needed for that, but facebook (and other social networking websites) certainly does provide more means for it.

Back in college, one of the professors in my small program created a facebook account, and started looking at her students' profiles. Back then, not nearly as many people were using facebook (I think it was only for college and high school students at that time), so they really didn't utilize the privacy settings as much. One day, she let something slip that she had read on someone's wall, so everyone quickly made their profiles private.

I also worry about updating my status, saying that I am out shopping or out for the night when my fiance, and then people knowing that I'm not home. Maybe it's a little bit paranoid, but it seems like it makes everything much easier for criminals. I have my profile set so that only my friends can see anything (other than my main picture and where I went to college), but I don't even know all of those people well enough to really *know* them. i have heard news stories about people using the status update information to burglarize people's homes and such.
 

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Jan 2, 2010
Messages
1,664
ksinger|1311512859|2975686 said:
Next time you're out at a mall, just start observing people's hands. It is staggering how many of them have one hand filled with a phone that they are not using, but are simply holding...I suppose in a constant state of readiness that they might get some text/twit/FB update? (It certainly won't be a PHONE call, because actually talking with a real voice to real people is soooo passé, so 20th century.) And of course that doesn't include those who are using them and ignoring any people who might be with them (and running into other people, or fountains). The people with them don't notice anyway because they're usually doing the same thing. Yep. That's living. :rolleyes:

I know it's a car ad, but it's my favorite at the moment. Not only does it resonate because of my age, but it's also a pretty scathing comment about FB and "social networks" in general.

http://facebook-iframe.org/video-questions/2011-toyota-venza-commercial-social-network/
I used to be one of those people :cheeky: but my use was as a clock. Finally I bought a very nice watch and the phone is back into the purse.

The toyota Venza commercial is one of my favorites.

Another question, do you think that because of social networking that it is more difficult for people of my generation to become real life friends?
 

Sha

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jun 27, 2007
Messages
2,329
INteresting article! I think I'll go post it on facebook! :tongue: No, but seriously, I think a lot of my fb friends would enjoy reading it.

I don't spend a lot of time on facebook. I do like logging on a couple times a day to check the news feed/status updates of my friends, but I rarely share anything. Mostly because I'm a private person and don't think it's necessary for 400 + people to know everything that's going on in my life. It really boggles my mind when I see how much info ppl share on fb.
 

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 30, 2008
Messages
5,078
Sparkly Blonde|1311525132|2975758 said:
ksinger|1311512859|2975686 said:
Next time you're out at a mall, just start observing people's hands. It is staggering how many of them have one hand filled with a phone that they are not using, but are simply holding...I suppose in a constant state of readiness that they might get some text/twit/FB update? (It certainly won't be a PHONE call, because actually talking with a real voice to real people is soooo passé, so 20th century.) And of course that doesn't include those who are using them and ignoring any people who might be with them (and running into other people, or fountains). The people with them don't notice anyway because they're usually doing the same thing. Yep. That's living. :rolleyes:

I know it's a car ad, but it's my favorite at the moment. Not only does it resonate because of my age, but it's also a pretty scathing comment about FB and "social networks" in general.

http://facebook-iframe.org/video-questions/2011-toyota-venza-commercial-social-network/
I used to be one of those people :cheeky: but my use was as a clock. Finally I bought a very nice watch and the phone is back into the purse.

The toyota Venza commercial is one of my favorites.

Another question, do you think that because of social networking that it is more difficult for people of my generation to become real life friends?
Yeah, watches are taking a hit amongst the young due to phones. I can't tell you how many under 30's I've heard say, "Oh, I wouldn't bother with a watch, I mean, I have a phone." Glad you found watches! ;))

As for more difficult to make friends, well, yes I think it probably is. I mean, think about it - just from a sheer time standpoint. Sitting with head down or glued to a computer screen takes TIME, and so do face-to-face relationships. If most of your time is spent with disembodied online friends, you have very little time for flesh-and-blood ones. And online really absolves you of having to deal with REAL people, which is far more complicated and emotionally engrossing than online interactions. There is no affect to deal with and no immediacy with online interactions. No bad breath, no annoying habits like being late. In fact I read an interesting article (the premise of which was confirmed by a 24 year old I work with) that the young find someone actually CALLING them (using voice) to be rude as often as not. They prefer texting because they consider real voice to be too immediate and demanding, when THEY want to have the time to craft a reply, or delay responding. It's a control/avoidance issue. And online has allowed the indulgence of that avoidance to a crazy degree.

I think back on my childhood and young adulthood, and seriously, the distractions from doing and other people were very few. I mean, we had TV of course, but there weren't that many shows, and TV was GONE at 10 - 11pm. Period. No computers, cell phones, iPads, Kindles, nothing. Dealing with untruncated people was your only option.
 

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jan 18, 2009
Messages
2,201
Now are people addicted (I may be included in that group) but texting lingo (lmao, lol) is becoming part of mainstream speech. Will kids ever learn to write complete sentences anymore?
 
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Good Customer Service Goes a Long Way
    Good Customer Service Goes a Long Way
    5.5 Carat Diamond Upgrade
    5.5 Carat Diamond Upgrade
    Style File: Julia Roberts
    Style File: Julia Roberts

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor



Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.
Top