shape
carat
color
clarity

Fay Cullen: BUY AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Webec

Rough_Rock
I adore antique and antique-style jewelry. My husband bought my edwardian style platinum engagement ring from Fay Cullen 2 years ago and it really is the most beautiful piece of jewelry I have ever seen.

Fast-forward to a couple months ago when I notice a strange black mark on the shank of my ring. I couldn''t recall having hit the ring on anything or coming in contact with any abrasive chemicals. I contacted Fay Cullen and they suggested that I remove the center stone and mail them my ring (I am in California, they are in Florida).

I decided to save the cost of removing the diamond, insurance and S&H by taking the ring to a local, reputable jeweler. They examined the ring carefully and determined that my ring had been cast with a flaw and the manufacturer had attempted to repair it with a low-grade, non-platinum solder. They said that this type of repair can''t be expected to last and it was inevitable that it would chip off. This information, of course, was not disclosed to me when I purchased the ring from Fay Cullen.

I explained the situation to my insurance company, but of course they would not cover it because this is considered a "pre-existing condition". Makes sense.

So, I went ahead and contacted Fay Cullen. Sales representative Veronique called me and very kindly suggested that I send them the receipt and a written description of the damage from my jeweler so that they might reimburse me for the damage that seems to be the fault of the manufacturer. Two days later, I faxed these items over. Fay Cullen emailed me shortly after, citing their warranty policy:

"Please note that we cannot be responsible for sizing, stone setting and any repairs executed by any jeweler not employed by Fay Cullen Inc."

I explained to her that my ring wasn''t even covered under their extended care warranty (if I had purchased the warranty, it would have expired a year ago). I said that because my reputable jeweler diagnosed the damage as being caused by the manufacturer, I hoped they would reimburse me. Her response:

"I''m very sorry but it was your decision not to dismount your diamond and return your ring to us for analysis. You choice was made in full knowledge that you were voiding your warranty and precisely because the "cost of fixing my ring locally was less than it would have been to have the stone removed, insure it and ship it across the country". You then decided that FCI should pay for repairs to your ring and termed it
"a matter of good customer service". Your decision to use a local jeweler was clearly and simply made to save money that you are trying to justify FCI paying."

In short, I believe Fay Cullen should have accepted my jeweler''s diagnosis (which was in writing) and paid me the $150. These damages were caused by faulty craftsmanship. I paid thousands of dollars for a 100% platinum ring, not a ring that is platinum with bits of cheap imitation solder.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/19/2009 5:39:03 PM
Author:Webec
I adore antique and antique-style jewelry. My husband bought my edwardian style platinum engagement ring from Fay Cullen 2 years ago and it really is the most beautiful piece of jewelry I have ever seen.

Fast-forward to a couple months ago when I notice a strange black mark on the shank of my ring. I couldn''t recall having hit the ring on anything or coming in contact with any abrasive chemicals. I contacted Fay Cullen and they suggested that I remove the center stone and mail them my ring (I am in California, they are in Florida).

I decided to save the cost of removing the diamond, insurance and S&H by taking the ring to a local, reputable jeweler. They examined the ring carefully and determined that my ring had been cast with a flaw and the manufacturer had attempted to repair it with a low-grade, non-platinum solder. They said that this type of repair can''t be expected to last and it was inevitable that it would chip off. This information, of course, was not disclosed to me when I purchased the ring from Fay Cullen.

I explained the situation to my insurance company, but of course they would not cover it because this is considered a ''pre-existing condition''. Makes sense.

So, I went ahead and contacted Fay Cullen. Sales representative Veronique called me and very kindly suggested that I send them the receipt and a written description of the damage from my jeweler so that they might reimburse me for the damage that seems to be the fault of the manufacturer. Two days later, I faxed these items over. Fay Cullen emailed me shortly after, citing their warranty policy:

''Please note that we cannot be responsible for sizing, stone setting and any repairs executed by any jeweler not employed by Fay Cullen Inc.''

I explained to her that my ring wasn''t even covered under their extended care warranty (if I had purchased the warranty, it would have expired a year ago). I said that because my reputable jeweler diagnosed the damage as being caused by the manufacturer, I hoped they would reimburse me. Her response:

''I''m very sorry but it was your decision not to dismount your diamond and return your ring to us for analysis. You choice was made in full knowledge that you were voiding your warranty and precisely because the ''cost of fixing my ring locally was less than it would have been to have the stone removed, insure it and ship it across the country''. You then decided that FCI should pay for repairs to your ring and termed it
''a matter of good customer service''. Your decision to use a local jeweler was clearly and simply made to save money that you are trying to justify FCI paying.''

In short, I believe Fay Cullen should have accepted my jeweler''s diagnosis (which was in writing) and paid me the $150. These damages were caused by faulty craftsmanship. I paid thousands of dollars for a 100% platinum ring, not a ring that is platinum with bits of cheap imitation solder.
Sure they should have, but this is not surprising. Do a search for them on here....

I''m really sorry about your ring.
7.gif

Webec

Rough_Rock
I know, I felt silly after looking at all the posts on here about their lack of customer service. I wish they would just take my jeweler''s word for it and pay up. It''s not like my jeweler is some guy in the back of an alley. This was a professional with an expert opinion.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
That really sucks, I''m sorry. Unfortunately it''s not all that atypical from what I''ve read from other customers that they had at one point.

7.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m sure they are well aware it''s the truth, they simply don''t want to pay.
38.gif

Lulie

Shiny_Rock
I''m sorry this happened to you
33.gif

As a newbie I haven''t read about them here and frankly won''t bother.
The piece I got from them was flimsy, way lighter than listed and according to my jeweler, the sapphire was not only smaller but also unsafe to be worn, got little money back after 3 months of xyz
38.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m so sorry...they are rather infamous around here for poor quality and horrible CS.

Did you buy it on a CC? I wonder if it is too late to try and get them to help you if you did...

Webec

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/19/2009 6:13:06 PM
Author: neatfreak
I'm so sorry...they are rather infamous around here for poor quality and horrible CS.

Did you buy it on a CC? I wonder if it is too late to try and get them to help you if you did...

We did buy it with a credit card. How would i present my situation to my CC company?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have to side with FC on this one on paying for the repair.
They have the right to examine it and offer to repair/replace it over taking the opinion of someone who they don''t know.
You chose not to go that route there for you pay for it.
That is the way the world works a manufacturer will only pay for it if they or an authorized repair center does the work.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/19/2009 6:28:24 PM
Author: strmrdr
They have the right to examine it and offer to repair/replace it over taking the opinion of someone who they don''t know.
That is the way the world works a manufacturer will only pay for it if they or an authorized repair center does the work.
I politely disagree. No one ever "worked" on the ring to void anything. They just looked at it. If FC had any scruples at all, the offer to send it in would still stand.
11.gif

Webec

Rough_Rock

I can see where they are coming from, of course, but they wanted me to incur various costs (removing diamond from setting, shipping to florida, insurance) just to send the ring to them. I suppose that is the consequence of buying a ring from a vendor located across the country.

It''s just the principle of the thing. It would have been a great customer service move to just step up and pay it.

Webec

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/19/2009 6:34:01 PM
Author: Ellen

I politely disagree. No one ever ''worked'' on the ring to void anything. They just looked at it. If FC had any scruples at all, the offer to send it in would still stand.
11.gif

Whoops! I should have clarified. My jeweler did in fact complete the repair. They smoothed the casting and covered it with 100% platinum solder.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
never mind was clarified...

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/19/2009 6:37:53 PM
Author: Webec
Date: 3/19/2009 6:34:01 PM

Author: Ellen

I politely disagree. No one ever ''worked'' on the ring to void anything. They just looked at it. If FC had any scruples at all, the offer to send it in would still stand.
11.gif

Whoops! I should have clarified. My jeweler did in fact complete the repair. They smoothed the casting and covered it with 100% platinum solder.

Unfortunately (and I hate to do this!) I understand where FC is coming from. In their eyes they would have done it themselves but now you are forcing them to pay $150 for a repair that they would have done in house for a much smaller cost to them.

I agree that if their CS was better they should eat it, but it would have been better to get their clearance first to pay for the repair locally.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/19/2009 6:36:37 PM

It''s just the principle of the thing. It would have been a great customer service move to just step up and pay it.
Very few companies would even consider it.
It makes them responsible for the local guys work and they don''t know him or have a relationship.
They are not responsible for paying for the repair legally and not really morally as they offered you a solution that you decided to reject.

Don''t get me wrong I feel bad that there was a problem with your ring I am just looking at this from a practical stand point.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/19/2009 6:37:53 PM

Ok, gotcha.

Webec

Rough_Rock
What i've learned from this experience is to stick with local jewelers for important jewelry purchases. If Fay Cullen were local, I may have gone straight to them from the repair. I just couldn't imagine dismantling my ring and sending it all the way to Florida.

Also, the fact that their initial work on my ring was so faulty makes me not want to send it to them for a permanent repair. If they used cheap solder the first time, why shouldn't they use it again this time around?

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am sorry about this...very unfortunate.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/19/2009 6:52:26 PM
What i''ve learned from this experience is to stick with local jewelers for important jewelry purchases. If Fay Cullen were local, I may have gone straight to them from the repair. I just couldn''t imagine dismantling my ring and sending it all the way to Florida.

Also, the fact that their initial work on my ring was so faulty makes me not want to send it to them for a permanent repair. If they used cheap solder the first time, why shouldn''t they use it again this time around?
Well, you''re entitled to take any lesson you want, but my lesson would have been to use a trusted Pricescope vendor for an important jewelry purchase. Local jewelers will often cost 30% more than the equivalent ring online. Your mistake was with Faye Cullen, not with mail order IMO.

Example, I bought a Vatche ring from Winfield''s in Idaho. A melee fell out and I will ship the ring to them at their expense, Vatche will replace the stone, and they will ship it back to me.

Piglet9j7

Shiny_Rock
At the VERY least, I would call the BBB in FL and report them. And tell FC that you have done so. That is BAD business.

dorothyp

Rough_Rock
OK, I read all the comments, but I would strongly consider contacting them again. Let them know that you would simply not trust them to work on the ring again. After all, they were deceptive in the first place by selling you this ring at a high price, and they obviously knew of the imperfection and hid this from you. I wouldn''t trust them with my ring again. Shame on them! The BBB is a good place to start. Then review the description of the ring sold to you as new, not repaired, and threaten to seek legal action. My two cents worth!
29.gif

makemepretty

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve heard more negative than positive about Fay Cullen. It''s probably better that you didn''t have them fix it since they obviously didn''t do a very good job making the ring. I think you did the right thing having it fixed locally... and now you know that you''ll never purchase from FC again because of their quality AND their customer service.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Wow, I almost bought from Fay Cullen before I stumbled onto PS.

Webec

Rough_Rock
Yes, the fact that their manufacturers are using cheap solder is rather disturbing. I''m taking comfort in the fact that my ring has been repaired by an honest jeweler and looks beautiful. I will not, however, purchase from Fay Cullen ever again.

Webec

Rough_Rock
FYI, I reported FC to the BBB of Florida/Caribbean last week. We''ll see what happens.
20.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results