shape
carat
color
clarity

Favorite winter creams?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

reader

Brilliant_Rock
Winter is rough on everyone''s skin...what is your favorite cream for either face, feet or body?

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I try all sorts of things, usually from drugstores as I''m not into spending a ton of $ on lotions/creams at this point in life. One of my favorites is a body butter by Treehut that Target carries. It smells wonderful (coconut, nut butter--which smells like chocolate, or mango) for $4.99...keeps my dry winter skin moisturized for 18 hours! It''s super thick, almost like an aquaphor, but not as greasy, imo.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
My favorite new hand cream comes from Bare Essentials. It''s called, Hand Model. I am loving it!! Not greasy at all, and smells nice too!!! I think it was voted #1 by Allure magazine....

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Some of the body shop butters in the tubs are nice...

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Still using my Origins Shea butter products--very nice. But I did buy some unrefined shea butter at the organic market the other day; so far so good.....and Avon''s intense moisturing products are also good.

cheers--Sharon

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This thread is so timely! The skin on my hips and the front of my thigs gets SOOOO dry in the winter, and the cold weather just makes is painful. Yesterday for the first time I had my first bout of "winter legs" (winter in Chicago -- grrrrr!) to the point that I went into the ladies room at work and slathered on some vanilla body lotion from The Body Shop. It worked well but I spent the rest of the day smelling like a scented candle, LOL, so when I got home (after another long walk in the cold) I put on some Lubriderm.

OOOOOOCH!!!!

I use the stuff all the time but for some reason last night is stung like CRAZY--to the point that I had to get in the shower right away and wash it off--then I got nasty red welts all over where I had rubbed it. The only other thing I had in the cabinet was some baby oil, which I ended up putting on and I was fine, although I did have a little ichiness for a while (but even this morning I still have what looks like a red rash on my legs from the Lubriderm).

So for the rest of the winter I might smell like a vanilla candle, but it's back to The Body Shop lotion for me!

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
My favorite is the Olay MoistureRinse that you use in the shower. When I put it on in the morning, my normally scaley winter legs are still nice and lubricated. It works better than any lotion or cream that you put on after you get out of the shower. I'm afraid though that it didn't catch on and might be discontinued because it is getting harder and harder to find.

By the way, if you do want to try it, it is normally in the bodywash section not with the regular lotions. I think that is part of the problem...people don't know it is an option.

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=88728&catid=10401&brand=8217&trx=PLST-0-BRAND&trxp1=10401&trxp2=88728&trxp3=1&trxp4=0&btrx=BUY-PLST-0-BRAND&cmbProdBrandFilter=8217

nejarb

Shiny_Rock
This isn''t a winter cream, but it''s sooo great...Clarins Instant Smooth Perfecting Touch. I put it under my eyes and my concealer blends in super-smoothly, and is undetectable in any lighting. plus, it''s supposed to make your pores look smaller and smooth fine lines (you can use it under your makeup all over your face), but I haven''t noticed that too much (then again I''m in my 20s).

For body, I love to use Neutregena light sesame body oil. In the winter it''s the only thing that works for my dry skin. I rub it into my legs and arms ans in my feet and hands before I get out of the shower. Then I just wipe the bottom of my feet really well with a towel so they''re not too moisturized.

Antother thing is just drinking a ton of water. I think that helps dry skin alot.

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
I like the Kiehl''s Aloe massage cream. It''s a happy medium between their Creme de Corps and their other scented lotions. Also good is the L''Occitane Ultra Rich Body Cream. When it''s really cold I like pure shea butter.

For my face I like to use Carol''s Daughter Face butter with a little suncreen mixed in.

angel_nieves

Brilliant_Rock
Here are a few lotions that have worked for me; I have a tendency to have super dry skin all year long even in south Fla.
I like St. Ives 24 hour Moisture for the body non-greasy and non-scented. Aveeno clear completion for face it’s the only lotion that will not break my face out. A real good lotion I like is aquaphor healing ointment that I use on my hand and feet every night (however it is a little thick). All so my mil who is dealing with cancer loves Cetaphil (sp?) Moisturizing cream it is non-scented and was recommended by her oncologist.

Hope it helps.

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
For my hands, I swear by Dove''s Sensitive skin 24h nutri-serum lotion.

But I''m looking for a good facial moisturizer... I have acne-prone skin (thanks dad!
20.gif
), so anything thick or greasy will result in outbreaks and tons of blackheads
14.gif
, but I''d still like to have something that will last and won''t cost me a fortune... Any ideas?

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Cream? I just rub olive oil into my hands if I''m in the kitchen. DH cracks up because I spend tons of money on special creams, oils, etc. and then I use olive oil...Or A & D (diaper rash cream - not with zinc oxide) and it works better than anything else. I could be very low maintenance if I tried! For a body lotion I like Vaseline Intensive Care Renewal. It was recommended by Mara in another thread and the stuff is magic! I put it on my face and body and my skin has never looked better. OK here''s a little TMI, but, it even gets rid of boob wrinkles! Sorry, but, after 3 pregnancies and a total of 29 months of nursing the girls just aren''t the same. All of my skin is firmer! Magic I say! If I''m super dry I use baby oil on the bod and then follow up with the VIC lotion.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Here''s a cool trick I learned:

After you rinse your bodywash off, apply conditioner all over the dryer areas of your body. The cheap stuff will work. (i personally like VO5 balsam & protein or apple) Then rinse, and dry off, and apply lotion while you''re still in the bathroom. It works really well, especially for those who shower and shave in the mornings. My legs are no longer scaly and flakey, and conditioner works better than any other shaving cream i''ve tried.

For the face, I use Shiseido''s Bio Performance in the winter. Just a dab works.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Shay gave me this tip and it works! Rub vapour rub into your hands and leave overnight, it IS like someone left you a new pair!
3.gif
I have needed this recently after all the abuse my hands have suffered with the renovations, plus I have had some nasty blisters from all the painting and split thumbs and fingertips etc, this stuff really helps.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I use conditioner for shaving my legs, too, and it works very nicely!

I love face/body creams. . . my legs get really dry/itchy in the winter and the only products that seem to help are the ones with AHA. The product I use most is by Bliss called Foot Patrol. It''s a foot exfoliating cream with salicylic acid that not only keeps my legs soft, it eliminates that horribly painful dryness. It smells medicinal (aloe vera and peppermint, though, so I use it mostly at home.)

For my hands, I use DDF Glycolic Lotion (it''s 10 or 12% glycolic acid). Before I started using this, nothing I tried came close to solving the painful cracking that comes with the winter weather. L''Occitane Shea is what I also use, but just in the car. It feels great but it''s not as soothing. The DDF has a matte finish, which I''m not fond of, but I use it since the results are phenomenal.

As far as face, I haven''t found the perfect cream. I just started using Alpha Hydroxy & Beta Hydroxy on my face, so I''ll find out if these will keep my cheeks soft this winter! Seems like good exfoliation is what my skin needs more than anything! There''s so many products out there. A great one for those looking is Alpha Hydrox 12% AHA, found at Walgreen''s. It''s only $15.99!

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/3/2006 7:55:37 PM
Author: anchor31

But I''m looking for a good facial moisturizer... I have acne-prone skin (thanks dad!
20.gif
), so anything thick or greasy will result in outbreaks and tons of blackheads
14.gif
, but I''d still like to have something that will last and won''t cost me a fortune... Any ideas?
I have the same type of skin unfortunately. You should definitely try an oil-free moisturizer for your face. For the day, I use MDSkincare''s Oil Free Moisturizer ($75). At night, I use regular old Cetaphil (about $7-8 for a HUGE pump).

I also use MDSkincare''s Alpha Beta Daily Face Peel every night, and let me just tell you, I''ve gone from having such oily skin that I needed to constantly apply powder every hour or so, to using powder only once in the morning to set my makeup and maybe once during the day! This product too is about $75, but you can stretch the 30 day supply to at least 60 days by cutting each application pad in half and maybe even use it every other day to stretch it even further. And I know you''re young, but this product is actually primarily an anti-aging product
3.gif

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, I''ll look into it.

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
Origin''s A Perfect World Cream works wonders on dry spots!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/4/2006 10:36:27 PM
Author: Rascal49
I have the same type of skin unfortunately. You should definitely try an oil-free moisturizer for your face. For the day, I use MDSkincare''s Oil Free Moisturizer ($75). At night, I use regular old Cetaphil (about $7-8 for a HUGE pump).

I also use MDSkincare''s Alpha Beta Daily Face Peel every night, and let me just tell you, I''ve gone from having such oily skin that I needed to constantly apply powder every hour or so, to using powder only once in the morning to set my makeup and maybe once during the day! This product too is about $75, but you can stretch the 30 day supply to at least 60 days by cutting each application pad in half and maybe even use it every other day to stretch it even further. And I know you''re young, but this product is actually primarily an anti-aging product
3.gif
Paula''s Choice has some great alpha and beta products that are a bit less expensive. I''m using her BHA 2% lotion on my face. It''s around $20. You can also buy samples of all her products for under $1 and shipping is $3.50 total. www.paulaschoice.com

Allisonfaye

Brilliant_Rock
My husband got me hooked on Kiehl''s products. I use the oatmeal grapefruit body lotion. It is really nice and lightweight. I don''t think I used it last winter so I don''t know how it will do in the winter. I have the dryest skin on the planet too so I need a good one.

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/5/2006 4:29:30 PM
Author: MC

Date: 11/4/2006 10:36:27 PM
Author: Rascal49

3.gif
Paula''s Choice has some great alpha and beta products that are a bit less expensive. I''m using her BHA 2% lotion on my face. It''s around $20. You can also buy samples of all her products for under $1 and shipping is $3.50 total. www.paulaschoice.com
Oooh, MC, I''ll have to look into that! Thanks for the tip!

Giada

Shiny_Rock
In the winter, I use pure shea butter on my hands, feet and other dry areas. Nothing is better that I''ve ever tried!

goldenstar

Brilliant_Rock
my favorite winter face cream is creme de la mer. its expensive, $115 for a 1 oz jar, but it lasts forever. its superhydrating, non irritating, and leaves my skin with a glowing look. i''m also prone to breakouts but this has never aggrevated my skin. its very healing and i hear it helps fight the signs of aging.

i don''t use it in the summer, although a lot of people use it year round. my skin is not dry in the summer.

Julian

Brilliant_Rock
I second Creme de la Mer! (Again, sorry for being too lazy for the unadorned e!)
41.gif

I use it year 'round. It costs about $195 for me either at Nordstrom or Neiman Marcus. It's excellent and lasts forever. $115 is a steal!!!! Where can I get it for that price?

Sisley also has wonderful hydrating products for the skin. Sisleya eye cream is the best for winter! I just bought some for my mom and it was about $175 or so with tax. So worth it. Your delicate eye area DRINKS in the moisture and soothes your skin. Makes you look 16 again. I love the smell of their products. Botanicals....mmmmm....

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
Heh. I see your Creme de la Mer and raise you a Gorgeous. It''s $72 and worth every penny! Fresh oils and juices, yum. You could probably even eat it!

It''s a bit rich for me during the summer but it''s perfect at night for our horribly dry winters. I use Kiss my Face peaches & creme Ultra Moisturizer on my hands. I''m always looking for a good hand creme and this one absorbs all right and my hands look younger and not parched. Although the younger part is probably the 4% alpha-hydroxy in the creme!
2.gif

I just ordered Lush''s Skins Shangri La and their neck/chest creme Mirror Mirror. I''ll let you know how those are when they show up.
5.gif

goldenstar

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/8/2006 11:30:27 PM
Author: Julian
I second Creme de la Mer! (Again, sorry for being too lazy for the unadorned e!)
41.gif

I use it year ''round. It costs about $195 for me either at Nordstrom or Neiman Marcus. It''s excellent and lasts forever. $115 is a steal!!!! Where can I get it for that price?

Sisley also has wonderful hydrating products for the skin. Sisleya eye cream is the best for winter! I just bought some for my mom and it was about $175 or so with tax. So worth it. Your delicate eye area DRINKS in the moisture and soothes your skin. Makes you look 16 again. I love the smell of their products. Botanicals....mmmmm....

Its $115 for one ounce. You must be buying two ounces for $195. I get mine at Nordstrom. It does save a little money to get a two ounce jar, but since I don''t use it all the time it would take way too long for me to finish it.

I know some people find La Mer to be too greasy, but I only use it at night so I don''t mind if I''m a little shiny.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results