shape
carat
color
clarity

Favorite types of workouts

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lately I have been in a rut and am looking to try some new things.... What types of workouts do you enjoy? What has been most effective for you?

Lately I have been trying hot yoga an it really feels great to detoxify and stretch- but I'm thinking I need more of a toning workout mixed in...

I would love I hear what everyone else is doing :)

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Body pump... Our YMCA does the Russ Mills classes... I also spin...and road biking....

I want to try yoga.... And Pilaties....

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do Zumba, weight training, hiking/walking, ballroom dancing, elliptical, yoga & pilates. Walking/hiking is most effective for me. I live in an area a with lot of parks that have steep, rolling, and fairly level trails so I can get cardio & bun burner workouts and everything in between and I like being outside more than in a gym.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
I have a lot of friends that have joined the "cult of crossfit" to get some amazing results, but I'm not one of them lol. I swim laps when I need to burn off some steam, but I love to just do non-structured things like hike or kayak. When things are too monotonous or rigid, I tend to get burnt out quickly.

shanhoops

Rough_Rock
Same a Mayk above, I also love the Les Mills classes. Body Combat (mix of boxing, kickboxing, a many different martial arts) is probably my favourite, but I also like Body Attack (really high cardio class), Body Pump (which is weights based) and RPM (like Spin).

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm so boring--DH and I go to the gym together and we lift weights and do cardio machines. We've been doing the stair machines (the one that looks lie real stairs, not those steppers) and that machine is CRAZY. It is really challenging, and I say I hate it but I really love it.

We do basic weights, nothing fancy. The best thing about it is that we go together, which keeps me motivated.

In the warmer months I rollerskate and blade, we ride bicycles, take long walks with the dogs, etc. In January, it's a struggle to step out the front door, so . . . we only work out in the gym. :bigsmile:

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have a favorite work out video that's a lifesaver when I'm too lazy to go to the gym. I like the Cindy Crawford vids; the DVD I have has two 40 min work outs, and a nice 10 min one for when you're in a rush but wanna do something. These workouts aren't super cardio, but if you do them well (i.e. dont cheat yourself and put in effort), they are great for toning. And fairly simple. And just 40 mins. Yeah, I'm a fan :) I feel great when I do them 4-5 times a week, but regrettably this happens only once every couple months :-/

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
For women and men workouts are very different. I tend to do pure gym sessions three times a week and sprinkle cycling and other cardio into the mix.

I would advise you to add some kind of strength interval training to the mix, as weight bearing exercises are critical for muscle and bone density which are the two things that we lose as we age.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
I usually go to the gym and use the cardio and weight machines. In the warm months, I love to rollerblade outside. If I can get my DH to walk with me, that is my favorite activity. When I get bored with the gym, I have a few videos that I'll do at home. I love the Brazil Butt Lift videos and I have a Zumba set too. I just bought some Pilates videos but haven't tried them yet.

anitabee

Shiny_Rock
super simple: i run.

it's free, easy, you get to see things, you can change your route every time if you wish to keep it fresh, and it's (from what i've read) the most effective fat-burning you can do.

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
BF and I have been doing kettlebell workouts 4x per week for the last month and a half or so. It's crazy how incredibly toned my arms and legs have gotten, I've honestly never seen them looking this good! I've also built up quite a bit of muscle strength all over, including my core, and I feel great. BF had been trying to convince me to do it with him for quite awhile and I finally gave in, and yeah, I'm a huge fan now.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
star sparkle|1327945430|3114925 said:
BF and I have been doing kettlebell workouts 4x per week for the last month and a half or so. It's crazy how incredibly toned my arms and legs have gotten, I've honestly never seen them looking this good! I've also built up quite a bit of muscle strength all over, including my core, and I feel great. BF had been trying to convince me to do it with him for quite awhile and I finally gave in, and yeah, I'm a huge fan now.

Interesting- my legs are in need of toning for sure...

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Spinning! I love it. I discover a little over a month or so ago and I've been going 3x per week since. It's 45 minutes to an hour and the time flies. It's challenging and I sweat like crazy but I enjoy it.

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
Amys Bling|1327946258|3114938 said:

My thighs/quads are seriously rock hard now. Not gonna lie, though, after the first kettlebell workout I did, I was in a world of hurt. I did way more than I should have using a lot more weight than I should have started out with, but I was completely miserable for 5-7 days after that first workout. It hurt to walk, standing up was excruciating, and stairs? Fuggedaboutit. So don't learn the lesson about not doing too much too soon the way I did, and you'll be fine! :twirl:

ETA--oh, and the best part of this workout? They're super short! We do two different kettlebell workouts twice per week on alternating days- including warm-up, the first lasts 15 minutes and the second lasts 22 minutes. I LOVE this part of it because the worst part for me about working out is the time it takes because I get bored easily with the gym and running and such. Kettlebell workouts are dynamic and quick, so there's not enough time for me to get bored!

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pilates and Tai Chi.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Rock climbing and bouldering! Don't try bouldering until you're a decent climber, but climbing will work your legs and arms, and bouldering will work your whole body (case in point: Saturday I got stubborn and was working on a few problems in the gym, was there for 2 hours and probably only tried climbing 2 routes and attempted 3 bouldering problems 2 or 3 times each and I am in a WORLD of hurt. Sitting hurts. Laughing hurts. Typing this hurts. But it's so much fun I'm going back to the climbing gym tonight!

starshine

Shiny_Rock
star sparkle|1327947226|3114947 said:

My thighs/quads are seriously rock hard now. Not gonna lie, though, after the first kettlebell workout I did, I was in a world of hurt. I did way more than I should have using a lot more weight than I should have started out with, but I was completely miserable for 5-7 days after that first workout. It hurt to walk, standing up was excruciating, and stairs? Fuggedaboutit. So don't learn the lesson about not doing too much too soon the way I did, and you'll be fine! :twirl:

ETA--oh, and the best part of this workout? They're super short! We do two different kettlebell workouts twice per week on alternating days- including warm-up, the first lasts 15 minutes and the second lasts 22 minutes. I LOVE this part of it because the worst part for me about working out is the time it takes because I get bored easily with the gym and running and such. Kettlebell workouts are dynamic and quick, so there's not enough time for me to get bored!

Do you have any links to kettlebell workouts you like?

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
Starshine|1327950574|3114974 said:
star sparkle|1327947226|3114947 said:

Do you have any links to kettlebell workouts you like?

Starshine- One of the workouts we do is Turkish Get-Ups (http://www.bestkettlebellworkout.com/the-turkish-getup/..though I use an actual bell and not a person ;)) ). We start with a 10 minute warm-up that includes a circuit of squats, kettlebell halo's, then something to loosen up the hips. Then BF has me do some skill building, to learn various kettlebell techniques and moves. That only lasts 2 or 3 minutes or so. After that, we do 5 straight minutes of the Turkish Get-Ups without stopping. When all of that is done, the workout is over!

The other one we do is a circuit that alternates between basic kettlebell swings interspersed with straight cardio for 12 minutes (after the same 10 minute warm-up and brief skill building I described above). I started out doing 15 swings alternating with 2 minutes of cardio (running, jump-rope, jumping jacks, mountain climbers, etc), then progressed to 15 swings with 90 seconds of cardio, and now I'm at intervals of 20 swings with one minute of cardio. The swings themselves are very cardio-intense, but when you're also doing bursts of straight cardio? It's killer!

I know BF has a book about different kettlebell workouts, which is where he got this workout program we've been doing, written by this one particular trainer that he swears by. I can get you the name of it if you're interested. :))

Prana

Brilliant_Rock
I enjoy workouts that offer me an experience...I do a lot of yoga and cycling, hiking, brisk walks or runs at the beach, rock climbing etc. I cannot CANNOT! workout at a gym. It's a form of torture for me.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Star Sparkle, I've been looking at kettlebells too, for a few months now actually, but haven't bought anything yet. I started doing some yoga videos and I like those.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Deep water works outs with my training fins and running against the "lazy river". When I am desperate I'll do the treadmill--but really I hate the gym. Did a few Zumba classes, they are kinda fun.

Run outside and cycle when the weather is fine--often both, one after the other. Or walk 10k with a friend and gab. Have thought about spinning--my colleague does it and loves it.

Yoga; yin and yang program or resorative.

cheers--Sharon

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
packrat|1327963159|3115109 said:
Star Sparkle, I've been looking at kettlebells too, for a few months now actually, but haven't bought anything yet. I started doing some yoga videos and I like those.

You should definitely try it out! Even though I've only been doing it for a relatively short while, the results are palpable. I've never seen such dramatic results from any other type of workout, and they truly do work your entire body.

Do they offer classes or anything in your area where you can do it with another person or a group of people? It's way easier when you have someone to teach you, at least initially. One of the risks of doing kettlebells is a hurt back if you don't use proper form, and it's quite easy to become lazy and slack on form and technique. All lifts and swings should originate as a squat so you use your legs for strength and not your back, and it's easy to do it wrong if you're not able to see it being done first. Youtube is good for learning proper technique, though, too! Steve Cotter has EXCELLENT videos, and he's the guy I mentioned in a previous post that BF used to "learn from."

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love cycling, hiking and kayaking when the weather permits but when I cannot be outside my favorite workout is on the Cybex Arc trainer. Since I injured my knees running this has been a lifesaver for me. Very easy on the joints and a great cardio workout.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the Les MIlls classes! Body Attack is my favourite which I do twice a week. Once a week I do Sh'Bam or Zumba, once a week CXworx, and once a week I do Body Pump. I have to mix it up like that or I just get bored! I throw in an RPM class if I get a day off too.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
DandiAndi|1327967979|3115168 said:
I love the Les MIlls classes! Body Attack is my favourite which I do twice a week. Once a week I do Sh'Bam or Zumba, once a week CXworx, and once a week I do Body Pump. I have to mix it up like that or I just get bored! I throw in an RPM class if I get a day off too.

wow your busy!

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Amys Bling|1327971511|3115211 said:
DandiAndi|1327967979|3115168 said:

wow your busy!

Hehe, 'tis addictive! :bigsmile:

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
star sparkle|1327964473|3115134 said:

You should definitely try it out! Even though I've only been doing it for a relatively short while, the results are palpable. I've never seen such dramatic results from any other type of workout, and they truly do work your entire body.

Do they offer classes or anything in your area where you can do it with another person or a group of people? It's way easier when you have someone to teach you, at least initially. One of the risks of doing kettlebells is a hurt back if you don't use proper form, and it's quite easy to become lazy and slack on form and technique. All lifts and swings should originate as a squat so you use your legs for strength and not your back, and it's easy to do it wrong if you're not able to see it being done first. Youtube is good for learning proper technique, though, too! Steve Cotter has EXCELLENT videos, and he's the guy I mentioned in a previous post that BF used to "learn from."

No classes around..we're too far out in the boonies. I saw an infommercial about Kettleworx and have considered that, and also I've browsed Amazon and saw videos by that Steve Cotter you mentioned and a couple women, and also the Russian guy..Pavel..something..wait, Pavel is Chekov from Star Trek. Pavlov maybe? Shoot, I don't remember, he's a big Russian guy that they say invented it or something.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
packrat|1328016842|3115498 said:
star sparkle|1327964473|3115134 said:

No classes around..we're too far out in the boonies. I saw an infommercial about Kettleworx and have considered that, and also I've browsed Amazon and saw videos by that Steve Cotter you mentioned and a couple women, and also the Russian guy..Pavel..something..wait, Pavel is Chekov from Star Trek. Pavlov maybe? Shoot, I don't remember, he's a big Russian guy that they say invented it or something.

Pavlov as in the psychologist? Lol - that is the first thing thT came to mind. Haha

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
hahaha I had to go look it up. I hate when I can't remember stuff. Pavel (I was right in the first place) Tsatsouline is who I was thinking of.

chupiechow

Rough_Rock
If you want toned legs...Squats and Dead Lifts. I have lifted for years and then last year I started doing squats and dead lifts and kept increasing my weights. I am telling you nothing like it.... burns fat and my legs are lean and hard not to mention great for my butt.
People at the gym have asked me what I am doing because I look so different. I now love to lift heavy, the more muscle you have the more fat you burn!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results