shape
carat
color
clarity

Favorite Thanksgiving Foods

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
All you American PS'ers: what Thanksgiving dishes do you look forward to all year long??? Do your families have special regional or ethnic dishes that they include?

I LOVE all the ultra-fattening veggies: cauliflower gratin, green bean casserole and my moms mashed potatoes that have a boatload of parmesan and a whole stick of cream cheese. I usually eat my veggies steamed with salt and pepper, so it seems SO naughty and decadent to eat veggies loaded with cheese and butter :lickout: I also adore sausage stuffing, cranberry relish, and I freaking LOVE ocean spray jellied cranberries--the kind that slurp out of the can looking just like the form of the can. *hides face in shame*

My mom was 1st generation Italian from NY, so our dinner always included a lasagna and some Italian delicacies.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cranberry relish.... I can't help myself!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
My mother always made tomato aspic (which didn't thrill me) but to go with it she made the BEST rocquefort dressing on earth! Full of chives, sour cream, cream cheese, chunks of blue cheese, forget what else -- I could eat that stuff with a big spoon. :love: :love:

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
My grandmother's sweet potato souffle, cranberry jello mold with fresh cranberries, pecan pie, and the turkey itself! It's my favorite meal of the year! :lickout:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My dh's apple pie, vegetarian stuffing and sweet potato pie!! MMMmmmmm delicious!! can you tell I love my carbs! :cheeky:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Nachinka. Corn meal soufflee? You don't whip and fold the the egg whites like a traditional soufflee, but if stirred sufficiently, this dish is very fluffy. I love it the next day. Cold.

cheers--Sharon

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sweet potatoes...we add butter, brown sugar, little orange juice and some spices to the whole/peeled potatoes then
smother them with miniature marshmellows and stick it in the oven until they turn brown. We only get them once
a year. I think thats why they are my favorite!

Also, cornbread stuffing and gravy...nom, nom!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
If only I could remember the name...it's in German. They're stuffing balls. Basically the bread is cut into cubes and formed into balls and cooked. My grandmother use to make this every year and it was my favorite! Haven't had it since I was a teenager.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I'm with Zoe, I'm a huge fan of stuffing. And it's just so much better at Thanksgiving than when I desperately make Stovetop in an effort to squelch my stuffing craving.

But honestly? I feel like it's the combination of everything--the turkey, the mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, the stuffing, gravy over all of it. And the desserts. I look forward to Thankgsiving for weeks!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gravy. Intensely rich, thick, chunky gravy.

All the rest is okay too. But gravy is the best. On the turkey. On the stuffing. On the potatoes.
You just can't make a gravy like this using anything but 20 lb turkey.

Leftover mashed potato & gravy (open-face) sandwich with corn!

Saoirse2

Shiny_Rock
MC|1321896494|3066194 said:
If only I could remember the name...it's in German. They're stuffing balls. Basically the bread is cut into cubes and formed into balls and cooked. My grandmother use to make this every year and it was my favorite! Haven't had it since I was a teenager.

They sound like Semmelknoedel dumplings, yum! 
My mother still makes lots of Filled Hoernchen cookies. Her small-pillowy potato dinner rolls are also must, well suited for gravy dipping :lickout:

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
My mouth is watering reading this! I am soooo excited for thanksgiving! Seriously, I look forward to it for weeks, and I make myself sick from overeating every year, but I don't care--bring on the parade of gluttony!!!!

I always think it's really funny when the magazines have articles about dieting during the holidays--I try to avoid the Christmas cookies, and all the fattening treats and junk that are around throughout the season, but I'm going to enjoy my dinner and eat whatever I want on the day-of! The suggestions are always ridiculous--like, "bring steamed or roasted veggies and load your plate up with those and some turkey breast. Avoid potatoes, gravy, candied yams, dinner rolls and stuffing. Just have one bite of pie for dessert." :rolleyes: yeah right!!! I'm having it all, two pieces of pie and whipped cream! I only do it once a year, I'm going big!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
tuffyluvr|1321906576|3066278 said:
My mouth is watering reading this! I am soooo excited for thanksgiving! Seriously, I look forward to it for weeks, and I make myself sick from overeating every year, but I don't care--bring on the parade of gluttony!!!!

I always think it's really funny when the magazines have articles about dieting during the holidays--I try to avoid the Christmas cookies, and all the fattening treats and junk that are around throughout the season, but I'm going to enjoy my dinner and eat whatever I want on the day-of! The suggestions are always ridiculous--like, "bring steamed or roasted veggies and load your plate up with those and some turkey breast. Avoid potatoes, gravy, candied yams, dinner rolls and stuffing. Just have one bite of pie for dessert." :rolleyes: yeah right!!! I'm having it all, two pieces of pie and whipped cream! I only do it once a year, I'm going big!

Totally agree! I mean life is too short not to enjoy certain foods at certain times!!

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
hahaha, yes! Two pieces of pie, with whipped cream :twirl:

My faves are cranberry/orange relish, bread stuffing, gravy, and pumpkin pie. DH is from Louisiana so we also make mirliton stuffed peppers with shrimp and crawfish...so yummy!!!!!!

purselover

Ideal_Rock
I love anything pumpkin: pumpkin pie, pumpkin cheesecake, pumpkin martinis, and I also love mashed potatoes, and biscuits.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My favorite is the leftover turkey, chopped up warmed up and served in gravy with mashed potatoes. :lickout:

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
dang this is making me hungry, I am looking forward to the stuffing, I dont know why I dont make it through out the year, but I dont...I also adore pumpkin pie :lickout:

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
Zoe said:
Stuffing! I love the stuffing my mom makes and I look forward to it every year. It's basically this one: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/bread-and-celery-stuffing/detail.aspx... She adds a few other spices though (sage and thyme, I think).

I also love mashed potatoes and cranberry sauce. I don't mind the canned stuff either.

I'm with Zoe, and my mom's stuffing sounds exactly the same (she adds other spices to hers too). Plus, I just love mixing the turkey and mashed potatoes, topping it with corn, and covering it with gravy. Mmmmm. And pumpkin pie!!! Can't wait til Thursday :lickout:

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I love stuffing as well. I also love turkey pot pies that I make with leftover gravy and turkey.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
My mom makes carrot ring (grandmother's recipe) :lickout: and I ALWAYS love an excuse for some homemade mashed potatoes!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Bella_mezzo|1321907373|3066284 said:
hahaha, yes! Two pieces of pie, with whipped cream :twirl:

My faves are cranberry/orange relish, pumpkin pie.

I love my sisters cranberry/orange relish! pumpkin pie is good too! I love homemade butter rolls! I already feel like I need to go on a diet! :cheeky: ;))

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
NewEnglandLady|1321898186|3066215 said:
I'm with Zoe, I'm a huge fan of stuffing. And it's just so much better at Thanksgiving than when I desperately make Stovetop in an effort to squelch my stuffing craving.

But honestly? I feel like it's the combination of everything--the turkey, the mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, the stuffing, gravy over all of it. And the desserts. I look forward to Thankgsiving for weeks!

HA! I had a stuffing craving a few weeks ago and I broke down and made Stove Top. You know what? It was :knockout: . Too salty and totally not tasty. Ick.

For the green bean casserole, are you talking about the kind made with cream of mushroom soup and french fried onions? I had that a while back and it wasn't bad. I didn't grow up having it so I had no idea what was in the green bean casserole that everyone always raved about at the holidays.

ChloeTheGreat

Brilliant_Rock
Canned cranberry, of course (love that elegant can shape!)

And mashed potatoes! One year, at the big feast at my boyfriend's (now husband!) family's house...there were NO mashed potatoes. Like really, no one had thought to make mashed potatoes. Worst Thanksgiving Ever. :nono:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We always go somewhere for Thanksgiving, but this year since our daughter and her husband have a new baby, I am having to cook!!! I just can't do it all from scratch by myself, so I am choosing recipes right now. The pies will probably be bought!!!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sweet potato casserole with brown sugar and walnut topping! :twirl: And mashed potatoes and stuffing, of course. My mom is the best cook in the world! I told her if she'd move in with me and cook me food I wouldn't even charge her rent, but for some reason she wasn't interested! :confused: :cheeky:

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
ChloeTheGreat said:
Canned cranberry, of course (love that elegant can shape!)

And mashed potatoes! One year, at the big feast at my boyfriend's (now husband!) family's house...there were NO mashed potatoes. Like really, no one had thought to make mashed potatoes. Worst Thanksgiving Ever. :nono:

Say WHATTTTT?!! How terrible :o Mashed potatoes are almost as important as the turkey :lickout:

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
I feel kind of terrible saying this, but... I don't really like Thanksgiving foods that much! They're all so monotone! I enjoy the holiday, and I eat everything, but I never find myself saying "man I wish I had some stuffing!" And things I do love, like mashed potatoes, I eat year-round.

I feel really un-American right now. ;(

I will say I like to gobble up the crescent rolls, though. I never think to break out the popper can any other time of year!

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This is my first T-Day as a vegetarian. I will sorely miss the smoked honey ham.

Okie_girl

Shiny_Rock
My two favorites are sweet potatoes with brown sugar and pecans, and a jello salad that has crushed pretzels in the crust. Crust is pretzels, butter and a tiny bit of sugar, then a layer of cream cheese, cool whip and a little sugar, then strawberry jello with strawberries. Oh. my. goodness. is it delicious. I also LOVE a leftover turkey sandwich topped with cranberry/orange relish.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results