shape
carat
color
clarity

Favorite Sunblocks--

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kind of a spinoff from the favorite beauty products here. Last week I had surgery to remove melanoma, complete with staples to keep the wound closed (fun surprise!) I know this is the first of many more issues with melanoma and other forms.

So share what you like!

I am TERRIBLE about putting spf on my arms and scalp and ears. I am fairly diligent on my face neck and chest. I don't own dresses, skirts or shorts (hate. HATE.) so I don't generally have to apply from the boobs down besides my arms.

I rotate a few on my face that I like, but none that I LOVE.
--Kanebo Allie is really nice
--Volition's new one though it's not waterproof/resistant and that's a bit of an issue, as is price. But it's nice under makeup.
--Murad City Skin SPF is nice, but again pricey...ok under makeup.

Some OK/Dislikes:
--EltaMD has never been a winner for me. It beads up and breaks me out and it isn't physical. I haven't really loved any Supergoop ones though they're really nicely rated. I got some Coola Mineral that was ok for body.

My biggest thing is that I really don't like chemical blocks and many of the Japanese ones that I would otherwise get are either a combo of physical and chemical OR are chemical. The Kanebo one is nice but it's not physical or a mix. By physical I mean Zinc and Titanium Oxides. The biggest thing is that anything on my face must not only be water resist of some kind but work under makeup and man that's tough to find.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have terribly sensitive skin and react to many sunscreens (especially on my face). My favourites are Ombrelle spf 60 for face and La Roche Posay Anthelios Lotion spf 60. Since my body is much less sensitive and I am lazy, I like to use a spray on like the Neutrogena Ultrasheer Body Mist in spf 60 or 100. 100 if I am planning to be out in a bathing suit in the sun, as I am translucent white and burn like crazy with even minimal exposure.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't really care about physical vs chemical sunscreens, just as long as they're effective. I always go by Consumer Reports ratings because they do large testing every spring of many sunscreens and their tests show effective SPF is not always what it says on the packaging. My friend just asked me what I use because she bought Think Baby SPF 50 sunscreen as it's promoted as safe physical one for kids. Expensive too. Her sun got a bad sunburn in camp. I checked Consumer Reports and their testing showed Think Baby has effective SPF of 0-9 not 50!

For the body, I've been using Equate spray and cream for myself and my kids. Equate is in top 3 of CR rating. Chemical.

For the face, I alternate between ELF SPF50 Skin Shielding Tinted Primer, Estee Lauder SPF 35 tinted BB cream, Shiseido Urban SPF 42 and Biore UV Aqua Rich 50 SPF. ELF is the only physical tinted sunscreen that feels good on my face and doesn't cause breakouts for me plus it's only $12. The rest are chemical. All work well under makeup.

Reactions: ame

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Very few "work" for me but for La Roche-Posay (Anthelios) or Vichy. Use light weight lotion on face and thicker cremes on body (especially when poolside ).

cheers--Sharon

Scandinavian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love La Roche Posay Anthelios too. And something called Cliniderm Age Defence Sun Face Cream SPF 50. Might be a Scandinavian brand, though… But it really works. I'm blond and blue eyed like Elsa in Frozen, so believe me I do need SPF and a lot of it LOL.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry about your health issues @ame

I use isehan sunkiller on my face and la roche posay anthelios 50+ w/out perfume on my body and kids. Never let me down. (I am WHITE and never tan. I just burn.... After 5 mins.)

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't really care about physical vs chemical sunscreens, just as long as they're effective. I always go by Consumer Reports ratings because they do large testing every spring of many sunscreens and their tests show effective SPF is not always what it says on the packaging. My friend just asked me what I use because she bought Think Baby SPF 50 sunscreen as it's promoted as safe physical one for kids. Expensive too. Her sun got a bad sunburn in camp. I checked Consumer Reports and their testing showed Think Baby has effective SPF of 0-9 not 50!
That is surely a lawsuit right there. Wow. I remember last year or the year before there was a huge deal with Honest sunscreen, that it wasn't working. They pulled it and redid it and supposedly it's much better now.

If I FEEL IT at all after I rubbed it in, it's not going to work for me.

I use isehan sunkiller on my face and la roche posay anthelios 50+ w/out perfume on my body and kids. Never let me down. (I am WHITE and never tan. I just burn.... After 5 mins.)
Thanks! I did a lot of tanning and was generally not diligent in my youth so its a matter of time now. I am surprised it took this long though! Anyone who wants to see how that surgery went, its posted on my Instagram.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My derm said only use LaRoche Posay with Helios (or something like that). It is broad spectrum and easily absorbable.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ah ha! That is it!! Anthelios. They make one for face too. So I use the face one for my face and the body one for my body. You can get it at Walgreens I think.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ah ha! That is it!! Anthelios. They make one for face too. So I use the face one for my face and the body one for my body. You can get it at Walgreens I think.
They don't use physical blocks, only chemical, so they're out for me.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you tried baby formulas?

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for pointing that out.

Looking at these (La Roche Posay Anthelios) there are some that are physical and some that are chemical. Seems you just have to pay attention to which you are choosing. I'm going to try a physical ultra light one for the face! Thanks for the recs ladies!

Ame I'm sorry you're dealing with melanoma. I am ultra picky with the feel of sunblock and have tried so hard to find physical ones that work (by work, I mean actually protect me but that I can also tolerate the feel of on my skin). I have twisted myself up in knots for so many years. This year I just ordered a variety of Blue Lizard blocks (we're spending a lot of time on the coast and in the sun this summer so I have to suck it up and deal) and I'm pretty happy with them. I'm fair and burn easily, and one application is doing the job! Touching my skin it doesn't feel like there's anything on it, but I can detect a slight feel of sunblock being on me (could be sweat though, lol!).

Good luck, I hope you find something that works for you.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow... you guys are FANCY!! I use SuperGoop! SPF 30 City Serum... it goes on smoothly and works well under makeup.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Elta MD physical is my favorite sunblock for face.

I switch between several blocks for my body. Right now, I’m just using eucerine’s body lotion with spf 30 for daily protection. I love it because it makes my skin very soft.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Big hugs to you. What an awful thing for you to be going through, sweetheart. I hope you are ok.

For me, I use a combination of products. I use a moisturiser with SPF15 on my face, neck, around my chest & back of the neck, followed by Bare Minerals tinted BB, which also has an SPF15, on my face only. I have thick curly hair, so unless I tie it up, I don't cover my ears with any SPF.

I work at a school & I am outside supervising breaks & lunch, so I have found it a no brainer in the hot sun. I haven't seen any changes to my skin as yet. As a matter of fact, this morning I had my yearly appointment with my Hematology Dr & she literally says every year, "sh!t, you look good for your age!" But I know being outside a lot will catch up with me at some point :(2

ETA. I am in the UK, so whilst we can have fiercely hot summers, those months are few & winters are long. Very long....

Last edited:

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow... you guys are FANCY!! I use SuperGoop! SPF 30 City Serum... it goes on smoothly and works well under makeup.

I also use SuperGoop—I’ve liked several of their products and they WORK for my skin, which is gold. I can even sweat through the CC cream (spf 30?).

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I use Ombrelle SPF 60, especially for the face and neck. It's not sticky or smelly and isn't too thick.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also wanted to add that UV blocking clothing works very well too. I wear sunblock clothing when cycling and it really works without having to apply sunscreen. And I try wearing a hat when possible and using a parasol when possible too. All of it helps. Sorry about your melanoma surgery @ame. My dh had melanoma surgery a few years ago (on his thigh) and he gets checked every 3 months or so because he has so many suspicious moles all over his body. Wishing you a speedy and full recovery.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am sorry you are going through that Ame. I hope it is the last time you will have to deal with this. I am not out in the sun all that much. I use whatever spray we have on hand and my Paulas choices moisturizer that has sunscreen. If we are floating in the pool I always wear a hat.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Depending on the weather and activity, I use either Skin Aqua UV Moisture Milk or Bioderma Photoderm Max Spray. I don’t like physical because to get enough UVA protection, the amount of filters make it very drying and I look like a mime. Both are waterproof.

I reapply every 90 minutes of sun exposure. 1/4 teaspoon for the face alone.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@ame I wore EltaMD for years, and this past year that I bought new stuff, its definitely different. (I have face AND body) I found it to be horribly irritating, the face stuff was unbearable. (sure its the B3 in it that makes me so red)

I tried LaRoche Posay Athelios years ago, I remembered it being good. So I saw it at CVS and gave it a go. That didn't work out so well.

So I'm also on the look for something. In the meantime, I'm looking like a weirdo wearing long sleeve shirts and wearing a scarf around my neck to not burn. (and yes hats...lol) Hard to make it look good during the day but I certainly try.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Someone asked me offline to share what companies I order from for sun protective clothing so I am sharing here for those of you interested. For me this sun protective clothing is comfortable and light and cooler than if I am covering myself with sunscreen. Generally I purchase from Solumbra by Sun Precautions and from Coolibar.

http://solumbra.com

https://www.coolibar.com/?gclid=Cjw...3iScciDnf0rXD_5z2zyNNGNTauRjteKhoCZmIQAvD_BwE

I mainly use the sun protective clothing for cycling so I have the spf leggings and the spf active wear tops with thumb loops for more coverage and I just love the spf summer gloves as it protects the hands so well. Of course bling is hidden but when cycling I don't wear bling anyway. I find wearing the clothing much easier, cooler and more comfortable than applying and reapplying and removing sunblock from all over my body.

And when walking about etc I love using one of my many parasols. They are beautiful and functional. And I no longer feel like a weirdo carrying one since they are so much more popular now. But when I first started over 25 years ago you can bet I was the odd person out. It didn't stop me but now since it's sort of en vogue no one even glances a second glance when I walk down the street holding a parasol.

parasolsgilmoregirls.jpg

Two of my UV protective parasols

parasolinbrooklyn.png

parasolinbrooklynheights.png

Even our bike has a UV protective canopy created by my dh. It really helps keep the sun and heat off me when we are cycling.

missyandgregandcanopy.png

HTH.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm looking like a weirdo wearing long sleeve shirts and wearing a scarf around my neck to not burn. (and yes hats...lol) Hard to make it look good during the day but I certainly try.

No, you're not looking weird at all. You look smart. Safe and smart.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, you're not looking weird at all. You look smart. Safe and smart.

I try to be. in my area I do see parasols quite a bit every summer and dosen't seem like anyone bats an eye. I mean ok I get it, florida, and parasols are the least of the worries...lol

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results