shape
carat
color
clarity

Favorite Cut?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

SJS1234

Shiny_Rock
man o man. I thought I knew something about diamonds until I started poking around on this site a few days ago! My bf and I have started looking around for settings, but he knew that for the actual diamond I definitely wanted Asscher. NOW I''m finding that there are so many more cuts that I love! I LOVE my grandmother''s (now my mother''s) old mine cut -- but I didn''t even know that''s what it was called until I started researching here. All I knew was that I love the way it reflects like so stunningly, without the sparkle-flash look of the round brilliant (sorry if I have offended, it''s just my personal taste). Now I know there are actually places where you can still get the old mine cuts -- and I have found so many other cuts that have similar looks, like some of the cushion cuts. I also love the new jubilee! I''m so confused now! I''ve added so many to my list of "loves" that my poor bf is completely lost!

Here are a couple of questions!
Of all cuts, what is your favorite (yes, taking a poll here)?
Are Old Mine cut diamonds still being made (I mean in the style of the old-mine cuts, of course), and if so where can i find them?
How do I know that a jeweler is showing me an asscher and not a square emerald (corners are thicker on asscher, right? but will the certificate say asscher or square emerald regardless?)
WHY can''t I find ANY of my new favorites in jewelry stores (even nice ones) -- asscher, cushion, square cushion, jubilee, regent, OLD MINE CUT :)

I know, this is a lot....i''m just so full of confusion...and questions......
by the way -- LOVE seeing all the pictures of the rings. wow.

SJS1234

Shiny_Rock
Oh -- one more question:

Is there a place (i''m in the Atlanta area) where I can actually SEE all of these different cuts in person? I completely trust some of the internet sites, but i would like to see the cut (not necessarily the specific diamond) in person before deciding it''s what I want.

ootthibo

Rough_Rock
My favorite shape is a pear...by far. I like feeling different (not many people have pears in their rings).

I think that most jewelry stores tend to carry mostly rounds because this is what is bought most. I remember when I went looking for my first engagment ring it was very difficult to find anything but rounds. Internet is the best place to shop for any fancy cuts!

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
As you can see from my username, I''m partial to pear shaped diamonds too.

SJS, you may want to check out Fay Cullen (www.faycullen.com) They carry lots of antique style engagement rings and may have some Old Mine Cuts.

SJS1234

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the link!!!

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/29/2004 3:21:32 PM
Author: pearcrazy
As you can see from my username, I''m partial to pear shaped diamonds too.

SJS, you may want to check out Fay Cullen (www.faycullen.com) They carry lots of antique style engagement rings and may have some Old Mine Cuts.
Holy carp, and all this time I thought you were an oval kinda gal!
2.gif
31.gif

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
I'm in Hotlanta and not sure if you will find any of these cuts anywhere.

I don't know what stores you have tried, but give Brown and Company a call in Roswell and see if they carry any. I've made several purchases from them and have been pleased with their quality and service. Also I've worked with Jewelry Artisans, in Sandy Springs, for some custom work and they might be able to have something brought in.

Good Luck
9.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Emerald cuts with pear shapes next. I've also seen some very nice cushions too. Old mine cuts are also beautiful.
Oh, and I love my Jubilee too (as you can see in my avatar).

Morticia

Brilliant_Rock
I''m in the same boat you''re in. I have no idea what I want, especially since coming here and learning about cuts and seeing pictures. I used to just say I wanted a cushion and that was that. Now, I can''t decide between an asscher, a cushion, and I''m loving the jubilee and regents too! My boyfriend is very confused.
emsmile.gif

If you love Asschers, you have GOT to see Royal Asschers. And you''re in luck too b/c I think this jeweler sells them and they are located in Atlanta. (I think that''s where you mentioned you live).

http://www.mednikow.com/about/ourlocations/contactus.cfm

Good luck!!
35.gif

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why, a pear of course, followed by oval/marquise.

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
Sevens,

Of course I''d gladly take an oval or round or assher or cushion or princess or let''s see radiant, emerald .........
9.gif

I''m not too hard to please when it comes to diamonds!! In fact when I have a few minutes I like to slip into my own private Idaho and play the "what would I pick out if I were getting engaged now....." game. I hit all the drool sites and browse away. Loads of fun, especially when I fantasize that my future husband has lots of cash and I needed at least a 3 carat diamond. Sigh...... Sidestones or no sidestones, sapphires or diamonds, pink diamonds as sidestones perhaps? Perhaps a cushion with yellow trillion diamond sidestones......

A girl could waste the whole day surfing.
2.gif

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
I''m really starting to like the modern cushions a lot. I want a clone of MMMs and Reena''s

Diamonds4Me

Brilliant_Rock
My all time favorite is a RB
9.gif
My second is the radiant. I used to be all about pear shapes...but errr..that was my first ering from someone else..and that''s a story I won''t get into here
20.gif

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/29/2004 3:58
6.gif
4 PM
Author: pearcrazy
Sevens,

Of course I''d gladly take an oval or round or assher or cushion or princess or let''s see radiant, emerald .........
9.gif

I''m not too hard to please when it comes to diamonds!! In fact when I have a few minutes I like to slip into my own private Idaho and play the ''what would I pick out if I were getting engaged now.....'' game. I hit all the drool sites and browse away. Loads of fun, especially when I fantasize that my future husband has lots of cash and I needed at least a 3 carat diamond. Sigh...... Sidestones or no sidestones, sapphires or diamonds, pink diamonds as sidestones perhaps? Perhaps a cushion with yellow trillion diamond sidestones......

A girl could waste the whole day surfing.
2.gif
I thought I was the only one that played this game
9.gif
21.gif
9.gif
21.gif
9.gif

goldengirl

Brilliant_Rock
My favorite cut? Oh, that''s easy. Definitely round. Or jubilee. Or cushion. Or Asscher. Or....

Actually, looking at the list of cuts I like vs. cuts I''m less fond of, I note that I tend to prefer symmetrical cuts. I would prefer a square cushion over a rectangular cushion. I like rounds, but ovals much less.The one exception being marquise, which I like but would probably be the last diamond I bought, after the others I listed. :)

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi:

Give me an oval any day of the week and I would be a happy gal! That said, have you seen a picture of Catherine Zeta-Jones ER ring? A 10ct marquise set in an antique type setting and an E-W orientation, now I could handle that puppy too!!!

cheers

Sharon

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
What''s my favorite shape? BIG. Oh wait, that''s not a shape hehehehehe...

I love the jubilee and modern cushion!!! :)

Noobie, maybe we can leave my stone with reena''s stone for a while and see what happens? Although we think they are related..LOL..OH wait, that would be fantastic...a double headed cushion!!!!
41.gif

SJS1234

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for all of the input! I''m with GoldenGirl -- I think symmetrical is my thing!!! I was married before, and I have a nice 1 ct. Oval from then -- but i''m not as fond of the shape as I used to be. Not fond of the RB either -- but i dunno why. Something about the light reflection with the bigger facets in other cuts makes me very happy.
emteeth.gif
(of course I''m speaking in clueless-about-diamonds language) I guess I''m so attached to my grandmother''s diamonds!! EXCEPT good lord are there NO near colorless old mine cuts to be found? can''t find any in the size i''m looking for 1.25-1.5 ct.

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/29/2004 4:24:55 PM
Author: moremoremore
What's my favorite shape? BIG. Oh wait, that's not a shape hehehehehe...

Noobie, maybe we can leave my stone with reena's stone for a while and see what happens? Although we think they are related..LOL..OH wait, that would be fantastic...a double headed cushion!!!!
41.gif
I'd love the result of the combination of yours and Reena's stones. Even if it's a baby size!

reena

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/29/2004 4:24:55 PM
Author: moremoremore
What's my favorite shape? BIG. Oh wait, that's not a shape hehehehehe...

Noobie, maybe we can leave my stone with reena's stone for a while and see what happens? Although we think they are related..LOL..OH wait, that would be fantastic...a double headed cushion!!!!
41.gif

LOL

i love cushions (antique and modern), OECs and asschers the best, probably. i just love the antique/retro look of these stones. after that i'd have to go RB (this is new for me! i did not used to like RBs before hanging out here! but now i want one), then perhaps oval.

treysar

Brilliant_Rock
I like the sparkle quality in RBs, and I iked that stop sign shaped one - jubilee i think? It looks like a RB with sides :)

fancyrock

Brilliant_Rock
My fav. is RADIANT!!
emlove.gif
emlove.gif
emlove.gif
My second..... i haven''t figured it out yet!!
emwink.gif

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Round and pear, tied.
1.gif

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
Favorite is round, next is princess, radiant, and cushion, all tied. Definitely love the round though
30.gif

sparkler29

Shiny_Rock
Me too! Me too!

My e-ring is a cushion cut solitaire, and looks just like MMM''s little sister! I can''t wait to see Reena''s - her''s is probably like the older sister who loves to dress up in party clothes, given the fabulous Leon Mege setting she''s getting.

I love the cushion cut the best (that''s why I got one!), but truly appreciate any and all cuts. In particular, I love the elegance of asscher and emerald cuts, the brilliance and simplicity of rounds, and the uniqueness of pears. I really love a round stone with pear side stones
30.gif
!!

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
I hope it's ok for the boys to play in this sandbox.

I like the heart cut (sentiment).
I love the pear (elegance and sophistication).
I treasure old mine and european cuts (romance and classicism).

But for sheer dazzling beauty and precision of design give me the round brilliant any day.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
can you find any oldmines in good quality, i am seeking some...

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Context cut in diamonds and cabs everywhere else...

For some reason, jewelers seem to wear the most interesting jewelry
10.gif
Hope there will be more posts from the other side ...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results