shape
carat
color
clarity

Fancy Cut Lovers Unite…I’m a princess lover (so shoot me)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Snooper

Brilliant_Rock
That green ring makes me want to eat my veggies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As much as I like the classic round, especially in a tiffany setting or with shared prongs down the shank? I didn''t want something that was so common...

I too am a princess lover and owner
35.gif
30.gif
My first ER was a round ring, with side rounds, but aside from being allergic to the WG, I loved it''s simplicity, but eh...

So alas, my princess came. I picked it out with guidance from my now husband. And I wouldn''t change it for anything.

I am a huge fan of these fancies as well: radiants, cushion, EC, asschers.

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
love this topic!!

While I love to look at allllll diamonds, and Rounds are the best for sparkle(!!!) I did know that it wasn''t for me...Fancies are where my heart lies!

I had a princess, now have a radiant (that looks lie a princess) and would love to get a pink pear gemstone, or even would settle for an oval.......

yum yum, just thinking about all the interesting fancy shapes gets me excited!!! You can set them e/w or n/s and get such different looks!!

Or better yet, a diamond in each shape so we can give them each a fair chance!! haha

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Jaysonsmom,
First, I LOVE the title of your thread!
9.gif
From the start I''ve felt I''ve had to defend my love of princess cuts on this forum. People always say that princess cuts are a trend, but, if you think about it, the trend seems to be rounds here on PS!

Second, thank you for mentioning my ring--I feel honored! I too love the uniqueness of fancy cut stones, but I really wanted a stone that came close to the brilliance of a round. And, IMO, the top cut princesses do just that. I love the order of the stone, the clean lines, and the fact that it really stands out in a crowd. It''s my favorite of the square cuts.

In addition to princess cuts I love emerald cuts and pears, especially in colored stones--or big diamonds. A close friend has a 3ct pear I helped pick out from WF that is AMAZING! I can''t believe the fire that comes off of her stone. Another friend has a 5ct HW emerald cut that is beyond drool worthy. I would take either of their rings in a heartbeat!!!

Now, I too like cushion cuts, but depending on the setting some can look rather like a round in a 4-prong setting. I therefore think cushions look best in antique settings (although I must admit I covet MMM''s 3-stone cushion
18.gif
).

Gosh. I think I would take any stone other than a round. Isn''t that AWFUL?!?! I guess the fact that so many people have rounds makes me not care about the ones I have. I dunno. I''m also not one who likes watches with a round face or even round clocks. I especially hate when I begin to look round!
2.gif

fountainfairfax

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/12/2006 5:17:37 PM
Author: AmberWaves
Fountain, is it the .54 ES, or something smaller like that? Because I had my eye on that, before getting my radiant, I kept checking the ES... You are I are of the same mind!
1.gif
How funny, Amber- that''s it!!! I think we''ve got great insight! It''s still there waiting for some "weirdo" like us
3.gif
If I posted it in Rocky Talk it''d get the big thumbs down but it''s perfect for my rendition of this pendant
2.gif

faycullenpendant1.jpg

sarita

Brilliant_Rock
I''m not a round girl either. Not for a solitaire, studs, etc. I love the eternity e-ring and eternity w-band combo that looks best with a RB center (IMO) but overall a RB ring just would not do it for me. I love these awesome pics Sunkist and Mara have floating around that I personally think may only be possible to achieve in a RB, and they are, like, immaculate, but even so...

I look at it this way. I imagine being given a decent sized, decent quality soliitaire ring. If it were a RB, I would be bored within the first few weeks. If it were an EC (or possibly a pear) I could be happy with it for the rest of my life. Take the unique setting opportunities away and a RB would not be appealing to me.

But, it takes all kinds, and that''s why we have so many shapes to choose from. I''m glad RB''s are so popular - it keeps the price on fancies down some!
9.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like rounds on others. My mother has a very nice round, recently reset in a halo. And I ADORE Kaleigh''s three stone with the pears.

But for me they are... well, not not right.

I have an asscher. I just wanted a squareish diamond and at first it''s quiet subtle charm wasn''t my thing... but I think my setting has a lot to do with that. Now I love my asscher and am waiting for my reset. The asscher still is not ''me''... but it is US. And that''s more important for an engagement ring.

BUT at 1 carat size I would, now, go with an oval for a RHR or an ''alternate''. Spread BABY. Set east west. Yummy. That suits my personality to the GROUND.

If I were to get another diamond ring later on though... I''d either do a cushion, cause I ADORE THEM. Or... hmm... If GOG comes back with more Juliet cuts (I think that''s what they were called... some correct me if I''m wrong, Lucida type cut), I''d be in line for one of those. Especially at about two carats to two and a half carats. Or three. Three and half is my max though. Really.

Here''s a pic of the East West Oval I had in mind.

cluster%20jewelry%20oval.JPG

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/13/2006 8:31:36 PM
Author: Gypsy
I like rounds on others. My mother has a very nice round, recently reset in a halo. And I ADORE Kaleigh''s three stone with the pears.

But for me they are... well, not not right.

I have an asscher. I just wanted a squareish diamond and at first it''s quiet subtle charm wasn''t my thing... but I think my setting has a lot to do with that. Now I love my asscher and am waiting for my reset. The asscher still is not ''me''... but it is US. And that''s more important for an engagement ring.

BUT at 1 carat size I would, now, go with an oval for a RHR or an ''alternate''. Spread BABY. Set east west. Yummy. That suits my personality to the GROUND.

If I were to get another diamond ring later on though... I''d either do a cushion, cause I ADORE THEM. Or... hmm... If GOG comes back with more Juliet cuts (I think that''s what they were called... some correct me if I''m wrong, Lucida type cut), I''d be in line for one of those. Especially at about two carats to two and a half carats. Or three. Three and half is my max though. Really.

Here''s a pic of the East West Oval I had in mind.

cluster%20jewelry%20oval.JPG

I LOVE that oval!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

Small

Brilliant_Rock
I do love fancies also. My first e-ring and now my right hand ring is a marquise. I got engaged over 7 years ago and all of my friends got fancy cuts. Not one of them has a round. I must admit however that I now own a RB ideal cut H&A that I''m crazy about. Ask me 7 years ago and I would have said NEVER. I hated them. My husband wanted to buy one for me...he loves them. But I persuaded him my way. Now he''s very partial to my marquise
20.gif

I have princess cut diamond earrings. I love them also. I wouldn''t even consider getting round earrings. I love the look of the princess on my ears.
I have a pear shaped sapphire necklace that my husband bought me that I wear often. It''s beautiful too
30.gif

I think if I had an unlimited amount of funds to get jewelry I''d buy a nice size asscher next. Since being here I''ve learned alot about them and have fallen for them. I love the wind mills
30.gif

There''s not alot of shapes that I don''t like or I wouldn''t consider. Before I got my RB I seriously considered a princess but after trying them on I decided against it. It wasn''t a good look on my finger for some reason which was disappointing to me.
30.gif
WF picture is yummy!!!! I''d definitely consider one of those though
30.gif

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
you know what''s funny is I love fancy cuts... but I have a RB! When I first went ring shopping I really wanted a princess or emerald cut... but it just looked funny on my hand. I can''t explain it, the square-ness and elongated look of the emerald looked weird on my fingers. I was so sad.

When we went shopping I knew nothing about PS, and we didn''t really see many other fancy shapes, other than pear and oval, and I didn''t care much for those... I think if I went shopping now I would have spent way more time trying to source some nice cushions or cut cornered square H&A...

I absolutely LOVE asschers, esp RA, they are my all time fav, but I only love BIG asschers... and that wasn''t in out budget, sadly... I''m such a brat! I am going to hold out for one someday... sigh!
30.gif
30.gif

I think that''s partly why I ended up w/my three stone... I got a RB w/o the ''round'' plain look that I think looks soooooooooooo fantastic on others, but I just don''t want for myself...
11.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Flopkins, you hold out for that large RA bling!! Seriously, there is something so sad about seeing that a shape you love just is not working for you...I had never really even thought of anything BUT a round when I got engaged, it just was the default simple solution. I really did not like marquise because I had seen a few really awful ones with huge bow ties, and I really saw mostlly RB''s so that is what I figured made sense. I think in the late 80''s, pears and marquise were popular, and rounds are always great. A well cut round in a simple yet not too plain setting is so great. I LOVE Kaleigh''s and Kristy Darling''s rings but that is also a function of the quality of the stones. A bad stone is not going to make any cut look good.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/15/2006 2:16:34 AM
Author: flopkins
you know what''s funny is I love fancy cuts... but I have a RB! When I first went ring shopping I really wanted a princess or emerald cut... but it just looked funny on my hand. I can''t explain it, the square-ness and elongated look of the emerald looked weird on my fingers. I was so sad.

When we went shopping I knew nothing about PS, and we didn''t really see many other fancy shapes, other than pear and oval, and I didn''t care much for those... I think if I went shopping now I would have spent way more time trying to source some nice cushions or cut cornered square H&A...

I absolutely LOVE asschers, esp RA, they are my all time fav, but I only love BIG asschers... and that wasn''t in out budget, sadly... I''m such a brat! I am going to hold out for one someday... sigh!
30.gif
30.gif

I think that''s partly why I ended up w/my three stone... I got a RB w/o the ''round'' plain look that I think looks soooooooooooo fantastic on others, but I just don''t want for myself...
11.gif
Flopkins-

I feel the SAME way you do. I see a ring like Mara''s or LynnB''s and I am just like WOW- RB''s are gorgeous! But I just dont like them for myself, and especially not on my finger...it just doesnt look right. Bottom line is that no other stone attracts my eye like a well cut EC. I also like cushions and asschers, but there is just something about EC''s that get me. I have no doubt that this is the shape I will stick with forever...may upgrade a few times, but that''s about it! Actually, I hope to have one like diamondfan''s one day!
30.gif
41.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dani, thanks for the compliment...I hope you DO get it. I certainly never thought I would...I guess I should have gone to law school after all...If I could convince my dh to upgrade again from what I had already upgraded to, I think I could convince anyone to do anything!!

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/16/2006 12:35:00 AM
Author: diamondfan
Dani, thanks for the compliment...I hope you DO get it. I certainly never thought I would...I guess I should have gone to law school after all...If I could convince my dh to upgrade again from what I had already upgraded to, I think I could convince anyone to do anything!!
Diamondfan, I am just in love with your ring....dont know if I will ever get to your size, but 3+ would do just fine...
emwink.gif

I am just wondering if I will be able to part with my orig stone- I already feel a little sentimental about it, what will I feel like after I get married with it, ya know? I'll prob be even more somewhat unwilling to give it up...

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/13/2006 8:31:36 PM
Author: Gypsy

If I were to get another diamond ring later on though... I''d either do a cushion, cause I ADORE THEM. Or... hmm... If GOG comes back with more Juliet cuts (I think that''s what they were called... some correct me if I''m wrong, Lucida type cut)

I think you mean Jubilee cut... don''t know if I spelled it right though

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
Diamondfan - thanks for the ''encouragement''! hehe poor DH... It''s only been barely over two months since our wedding and I got my eternity band... and I have already made some small comments about more bling and he is like WHAT?!! not for another FIVE YEARS!! I''m like, what?? Who decided on that?! (certainly not me!) hehe..
2.gif

I love Kaleigh and Kristydarlings three stones... they are like my ering - except on serious crack!!! hehe.
9.gif

Dani - glad I''m not the only one! I love ECs too... maybe I just need to find one w/the right ratio/proportions!!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/16/2006 8:52:40 AM
Author: Dani

Diamondfan, I am just in love with your ring....dont know if I will ever get to your size, but 3+ would do just fine...
emwink.gif

I am just wondering if I will be able to part with my orig stone- I already feel a little sentimental about it, what will I feel like after I get married with it, ya know? I''ll prob be even more somewhat unwilling to give it up...

I will send my vibes out that you will get it, and you can reset your original ering into a necklace or rhr...what do you have now?

Not sure if you have seen my other posts about this topic...first ering was a round, not great stone. That is now a pendant in a pave halo and I love it, I think it is 1.53. Then my hubby got me a 3 stone ring from Tiffany''s which I must say was gorgeous and really could have been a forever ring, do not know why I wanted to upgrade again. (?!) It was a three carat center, emerald cut, and one carat on each side, all E and VVS1. Really gorgeous. But I just felt the need for something that really made a statement. And, yes, I could go larger, I am not a tiny person and have nice sized hands, but I think my ring is pretty amazing. Think I would have to upgrade dh before I upgraded my ring, and I think I will keep him, he is a pretty generous guy and I have a nice life so I cannot complain! (except about my OBNOXIOUS mother in law!)
emotion-5.gif

But seriously, I never thought he would agree to go to this size, so you never know, and I am lucky and love my ring, I admire it every day!

dani13

Ideal_Rock

Date: 6/18/2006 1:54:16 AM

Date: 6/16/2006 8:52:40 AM

emwink.gif

I am just wondering if I will be able to part with my orig stone- I already feel a little sentimental about it, what will I feel like after I get married with it, ya know? I''ll prob be even more somewhat unwilling to give it up...

I will send my vibes out that you will get it, and you can reset your original ering into a necklace or rhr...what do you have now?

Not sure if you have seen my other posts about this topic...first ering was a round, not great stone. That is now a pendant in a pave halo and I love it, I think it is 1.53. Then my hubby got me a 3 stone ring from Tiffany''s which I must say was gorgeous and really could have been a forever ring, do not know why I wanted to upgrade again. (?!) It was a three carat center, emerald cut, and one carat on each side, all E and VVS1. Really gorgeous. But I just felt the need for something that really made a statement. And, yes, I could go larger, I am not a tiny person and have nice sized hands, but I think my ring is pretty amazing. Think I would have to upgrade dh before I upgraded my ring, and I think I will keep him, he is a pretty generous guy and I have a nice life so I cannot complain! (except about my OBNOXIOUS mother in law!)
emotion-5.gif

But seriously, I never thought he would agree to go to this size, so you never know, and I am lucky and love my ring, I admire it every day!
Hey DF-

My ring is an 1.7c EC (G/VS1) solitaire with split claw prongs and pave basket. I am sure there are pics somewhere on here...I''ll try to dig them up...I really do love my ring, but unless we hit the jackpot (yeah right) I cant see being able to hold onto this ring AND get my upgrade...but hey, I guess you never know...
emwink.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, you never know. My first stone we kept because it was not going to be worth much to sell and it just made more sense. The second upgrade went back to Tiffany''s no way was dh letting me keep it and it was hard to let it go because I did think it was lovely...

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/18/2006 7:44:48 AM
Well, you never know. My first stone we kept because it was not going to be worth much to sell and it just made more sense. The second upgrade went back to Tiffany''s no way was dh letting me keep it and it was hard to let it go because I did think it was lovely...

So you did let it go-, and you were a little sentimental about it- but I am just wondering if I will ever be able to let go of my original diamond by the time I want to upgrade? It seems like it would be hard.... but do you think I would get over it once I saw the new, BIGGER stone?
emwink.gif

Apsara

Shiny_Rock
Researcher--I must say your rings are just amazing.
30.gif

Diamondfan, your ring is indescribable by mere words!
3.gif

I have a gorgeous 3+ ct "Ideal" RB with the arrows and all that (and get 10 compliments a day on it), but I am seriously thinking about going for a 3.5-4 ct pear. I am stopping by my jeweler''s this week to begin scoping out the pear scene. I agree with all you ladies that there IS something special about fancy shapes.
1.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/18/2006 9:12:52 PM

So you did let it go-, and you were a little sentimental about it- but I am just wondering if I will ever be able to let go of my original diamond by the time I want to upgrade? It seems like it would be hard.... but do you think I would get over it once I saw the new, BIGGER stone?
emwink.gif
I think one can be sentimental, but if you want the upgrade and cannot keep your original ring, there might not be an option. My first stone was not worth enough really to go through the hassle, and so since it was the one he proposed with I felt good keeping it and making the pendant. Maybe you could wait til you CAN keep it and get an upgrade, might take longer that way but then you are at least getting the best of both worlds! :)

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/21/2006 3:41:28 AM

Date: 6/18/2006 9:12:52 PM

emwink.gif
I think one can be sentimental, but if you want the upgrade and cannot keep your original ring, there might not be an option. My first stone was not worth enough really to go through the hassle, and so since it was the one he proposed with I felt good keeping it and making the pendant. Maybe you could wait til you CAN keep it and get an upgrade, might take longer that way but then you are at least getting the best of both worlds! :)

I was sentimental and it was hard to let go of my first stone. I could have kept it - it wasn''t THAT expensive. But I really couldn''t think of anything to do with it- I don''t want a diamond pendant. And it had just enough trade-in value to keep my out-of-pocket cost pretty reasonable for the upgrade.

With my current stone, it must be traded in to get anything new. Too much $$ wrapped up in it now.

And, yes, I will be looking at fancies in the future.
The only reason I got a round was becuase it is so difficult for a beginner to judge fancies and learning about rounds was enough of a challenge.

But I am feeling ready to take on new challenges now (uh well, in the future... just in case DH reads this, IN THE FUTURE!!!)

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
I know how you feel Jayson''s mom! I just love RBs...For other people. Their fire is more fantastic than any other stone IMO. BUT, every time I try one on it just isn''t me. In Irvine at DH''s office on Monday there was nothing but rounds on the ladies there. I am a fancy cut girl, oval in particular. I just have a need to be different. I go back to them whenever I''m jewelry hunting. I think it''s because my Grandma had one and they stir such fond memories for me. Plus finding a well cut one is a challenge and I''m always up for a challenge.

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am a huge fan of fancy cuts. It started with my Oval, then I got some radiants, then the asscher and the last was a marquise. I am hoping to get one of each, lol.
I am not sure what will be next though. I really like cushions and emerald cuts but can''t decide which one I want more. Evenutally I will get a round but I think I will save that for a Mark Morrell ring.

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My infatuation started with my oval cut, then I got into some radiants, then came the asscher and the last thing I purchased was a marquise. I hope to get at least one of each. I really like the cushion and the emerald cut (I do have a small one) but can't decide which is next in the 1ct size. Eventually I will get a round but I think I will save that for a Mark Morrell ring. I almost bought a Ashoka cut a few months back but they were so small for a 1 ct size that I could hardly tell the cut so I bypassed it.

Forgive the second post but it told me the first one didn't go through

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results