shape
carat
color
clarity

Famous pearls

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/23/2009 9:57:22 AM
Author: canuk-gal

Were not the peals worn by Jackie Kennedy, immitation?

cheers--Sharon

You're right, canuk-gal, Jackie Kennedy's pearls are hand-made and hand-coloured. Here is one of my favourite photograps of the former First Lady with her three row necklace. It's also nice to see that both First Ladies(Jackie O and Michelle Obama) enjoy wearing sleeveless dresses and almost identical necklaces.

51975825.jpg

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Thanks! What a good idea for a thread.

Elizabeth Taylor is my favorite. Great pictures!

I enjoyed all the other pictures too!

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/25/2009 10:32:35 AM
Author: DiaGem
Can anyone post a pic of the famous $1 Mil. Pearl necklace Pierre Cartier exchanged (+ $100) in 1917 for the Morton Plant Mansion (today''s Cartier''s flagship store) located on Fifth Ave. and 52nd. Street?

I wonder what is valued more today
11.gif

That''s a good question. Both and particularly the first one. If I understand what I read (if it was right) Cartier is looking for them or what happened to them at this point. I could be wrong. I''d like to know too.

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
Found a pic of QE wearing pearls on her wedding. Gee, how young and pretty she looked!

QE.jpg

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
Recent pic of QE still loves to wear pearls.......

QE1.jpg

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
To complete TL's pic of La Pelegrina which was worn by the Duchess of Windsor, see here and here!!

That was how the pearl was mounted before Elizabeth changed the setting!!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/25/2009 2:09:19 PM
Author: prince.of.preslav

You''re right, canuk-gal, Jackie Kennedy''s pearls are hand-made and hand-coloured. Here is one of my favourite photograps of the former First Lady with her three row necklace. It''s also nice to see that both First Ladies(Jackie O and Michelle Obama) enjoy wearing sleeveless dresses and almost identical necklaces.
great picture, wow, I did not know that.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/27/2009 12:34:58 PM
Author: megeve
To complete TL's pic of La Pelegrina which was worn by the Duchess of Windsor, see here and here!!

That was how the pearl was mounted before Elizabeth changed the setting!!

The Duchess of Windsor wearing La Pelegrina??? I'm sorry, but you're wrong, Megeve. Neither The Duchess of Windsor, nor Elizabeth Taylor ever owned the pearl. Maybe you mean La Peregrina? The large pear-shaped pearl, that The Duchess wore was a gift from her mother-in-law Queen Mary. It's beived that the large pearl necklace and pendant were "a final gesture of reconciliation to her beloved son and his wife whom she never knew." Wallis Windsor died in 1986 and her jewels were sold in 1987. The pearls were acquired by fashion designer Calvin Klein, who presented the jewels to his wife Kelly. Thew were sold again in 2007 after the Kleins divorce.
La Peregrina was part of Queen Margarita of Spain's collection.
Here you can find more information about La Peregrina.

Bobby

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
Nancy Pelosi's are not real (don't know if you care). My sister wanted multi colored Tahitians (real ones) but my BIL would not buy them for her because she has a Great Dane/lab that has eaten a bunch of odd things. He was worried the dog would get the pearls and it would be bye-bye 10 grand. He found a jeweler from California and saw these beautiful Majorca "Tahitian" pearls, and the jeweler said she had sold Nancy Pelosi 4 pairs a few months earlier. He got my sister the same necklace and it is identical. Nancy P can afford the real thing, so I was a bit surprised by this information.

brightlight

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/4/2009 1:56:46 PM
Author: y2kitty
Nancy Pelosi''s are not real (don''t know if you care). My sister wanted multi colored Tahitians (real ones) but my BIL would not buy them for her because she has a Great Dane/lab that has eaten a bunch of odd things. He was worried the dog would get the pearls and it would be bye-bye 10 grand. He found a jeweler from California and saw these beautiful Majorca ''Tahitian'' pearls, and the jeweler said she had sold Nancy Pelosi 4 pairs a few months earlier. He got my sister the same necklace and it is identical. Nancy P can afford the real thing, so I was a bit surprised by this information.
6.gif

brightlight

Brilliant_Rock
Naomi Watts with her gorgeous "pearl." Oh, she also appears to be wearing a tahitian pendant.
emwink.gif

naomi watts tahitian pendant.jpg

diamondgirl4382

Shiny_Rock
Sarah Jessica Parker as Carrie Bradshaw in the Sex and the City movie...she wore these pearls with almost every outfit, including her pajamas. :)

mikimotoSATC.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so glad people revived this thread and are keeping it alive. Another tidbit about Elizabeth Taylor's famous pearl necklace - Cartier made the choker for the Le Peregrina. The original pearl was given to Mary I from her husband, Prince Philip of Spain (later Philip II of Spain). It was part of the Spanish royal jewels. A very rare pearl that survived a long time.

Pearls are timeless. I have a photo I need to scan in of a pearl necklace that Henry VIII gave as a gift to his son's nursemaid. It is very rare for pearls to survive from the 16th century and earlier. They are fragile and organic gems after all. That necklace looks just as in fashion today, as it was back then. However, they were natural pearls and not cultured, and round. Very very rare indeed.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/5/2009 4:51:29 PM
Author: diamondgirl4382
Sarah Jessica Parker as Carrie Bradshaw in the Sex and the City movie...she wore these pearls with almost every outfit, including her pajamas. :)
Yay great pic!!!

brightlight

Brilliant_Rock
Dr. Cuddy on House wears pearls often. Here''s one.

LC 1.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/27/2009 12:13:43 PM
Author: megeve
Recent pic of QE still loves to wear pearls.......
The Queen has a smile that lights up a room. Thank you for posting the picture, lovely!

brightlight

Brilliant_Rock
Princess Diana had many pearl necklaces esp. chokers. Warning: Lots of pics!

Diana 1.jpg

brightlight

Brilliant_Rock
Borrowed from QE II

Diana 3 - Borrowed from QEII.jpg

brightlight

Brilliant_Rock
Borrowed from her sister.

Diana 6 - Borrowed from her sister.jpg

brightlight

Brilliant_Rock
White ones in this necklace are reportedly natural.

Diana 13 Natural.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results