carat
color
clarity

family bike?

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
arkieb1|1468190092|4054106 said:
Is there some reason you need to buy something so expensive? And the bike with it doesn't look like a powerful or great quality bike. Here in Australia most people use their own bikes and just buy bike Trailers and put their kids in them;

http://www.icebike.org/the-truth-about-bike-trailers-for-kids-and-babies/

http://www.target.com/c/child-carriers-trailers-bikes-sports-fitness-outdoors/-/N-5xt7q

Arkieb1: Thanks for chiming in! This particular bike has an option for it to have electric motor assistance, which is nice for the distance/hills. The kickstart is much cheaper than they will retail for-and their first bike was actually a bike/stroller conversion which has some amazing reviews/feedback. This one doesn't convert but I don't need it for that. The main reason is to avoid another interm verhicle purchase before having a 3rd child and getting a new mini-van. Its only a 5 min drive to the grocery store and a 20 min walk to the Dr. office so having this allows me to have the kids in front, face eachother or nexty to-one in the back as well as storage for stuff. Seats adjust to fit up to 8 years of age too. We live in a beach hamlet of a lake town so this will be great even in the winter months when there is min. snow due to the top you can put on for rain. I dislike trailers-can't see them behind me and good ones aren't cheap. However good cargo bikes can run I hear even 15k, so getting this whole set up for 2k is actually reasonable for a bike, let alone one so versatile and electric. its been over a year with just the SUV he commutes in and i have done fine but it would be nice to go to the lake/pool/library/etc during the week.

A cheap meter beater will require insurance, gas, and repairs so by going this route it allows me the freedom to move without needing a car. Seems like a happy medium but any feedback is good to ponder!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it depends on where you intend to ride if its on pathways without cars the in front set up where you can see the kids is probably better, if its out on open roads, then from what I have seen (we live in an area where there are a lot of people with bikes and also with bike trailers) if you are on the road you are more likely to be hit from the front or the side at the front by cars and in that situation the children will take the full impact of a collision. I've seen someone have a crash with the trailer set up and the kids were flipped over and crying sure, but the adult was hurt and not the kids.

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
I came across this startup a couple months back and loooooved it. It seems much safer and much more fun than putting the kids in a bike trailer. If I lived in a climate that had longer summers, I would consider this. Instead, we have One of those jogging strollers that converts into a cross country ski trailer and bike trailer. When will it arrive? I'd really love to hear your thoughts on it when you get it. If we have a scone child, I could see us buying one.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Vintagelover, I don't know anything about this family bicycle you are getting but it looks great and I wish you lots of happy travels on this bike with your little ones! Please keep us posted when you start using it. What a great idea for errands and short trips and good for the pocketbook and environment! Enjoy! :appl:

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
Any update, vintagelover? Did you order one and has it arrived?

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
maccers|1476721028|4087919 said:
Any update, vintagelover? Did you order one and has it arrived?
Not yet, my husband is getting emails about production but it won't be ready until Dec/Feb but when it arrives I'll be sure to update you!

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those look FUN!~

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi,

We have over 5 years personal experience in almost daily use of a tricycle family-bike. Mostly in the city, but we also took one cycling-vacation in which we did about 50 miles in a day.

Some tips:
- 3 wheels are fantastic in the sense of stability. Also when you need to stop (traffic-light), not having to put your foot on the ground is enjoyable.
- On a bumpy road (pot-holes, cobblestones, tramrails, ...), 3 wheels can be annoying as one wheel will always be in an uncomfortable position.
- Steering-system on a 3-wheeler is most important and most expensive. Most 3-wheelers have the steering-wheel attached to the cargo-part, which results in the steering-rod going away from you in a turn, and your right hand for instance having to take over the left part of the steering-rod. Annoying, difficult, not comfortable. More expensive systems steer just like a normal bicycle. Looking at this Taga, it seems to be the cheap system.
- Size of the cargo-bike cannot be big enough. In our Nihola, our 8 and 5-year old can still sit comfortably. Looking at the Taga, it seems that at age 2 or 3, you might already have insufficient space.
- We have always enjoyed our bicycle without electric assistance, but recently with two older kids and the bike itself weighing about 80 kgs, travel becomes less smooth, and that in a city without hills. I would definitely recommend electric assistance.
- Finally, if you purchase a high-quality bike, second-hand-value remains high. I see friends recovering still up to 70% of their original purchase-price after 4 to 5 years use. Obviously again, this is a European experience, where these bikes have become common and very popular in the last years.

Looking at this Taga, I would not consider it. It seems a bit too light and too cheap even. In the end, Danish brands have the longest tradition here. I personally still enjoy our Nihola, and would definitely recommend it.

Live long,

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results