shape
carat
color
clarity

falling dollar

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
I don''t know how the decline of the dollar is affecting the diamond business, all I know is that for me, it means I can afford a much better ring
1.gif

a few years ago, rate was at $1.40 to the pound, now it is $1.94 and may hit $2-£1 shortly, so whereas I would have been able to afford a $8400 ring, with the drop in the dollar that could be equivalent to $12,000
9.gif
I just hope it doesn''t recover by next november when I am getting the ring
2.gif

all I can say is, long may it continue
1.gif

LesleyH

Brilliant_Rock
Hi diamondgeezer:

I don''t think that the average American is feeling the drop in the dollar against foreign currencies as it is not really relevant to our daily lives. We went to South Africa in the summer when the rand was 6 rand to the dollar and we had a ball!! Although about 2 years ago the dollar was so strong against the rand that it was 14 - 1!

From what I have ascertained over the past few years, on top of the wonderful value that you get due to the $ - pound exchange rate, WHAT you get is far superior than anything you can get in the UK.

Good luck with your search. If you are only planning to purchase next November and you hang around Pricescope long enough, you will become an addict!

LesleyH
www.whiteflash.com

tinkerbell

Rough_Rock
My husband and I are living in Germany and we hate how low the dollar is compared with the euro. As of today, one dollar will buy us .72 euro cents. The exchange rate is horrid!!!!! All of our bills are in euro and now rent is over $2,000 per month
39.gif
. Needless to say, we don''t really spend much euro anymore and businesses around the air base are starting to suffer. They depend on the American''s spending their money off base because most German''s won''t shop there-too expensive. Anyways, that''s just my opinion on the weak dollar.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The killer at the moment when buying from the USA to the UK is the new advalorem tax which customs & excise are charging us UK citizens. In December we would have to pay 17.5% VAT + 5 % customs duty + advalorem duty 14% making a total addition to the cost of the diamond and ring of 36.5%. This is about a third of the price of the diamond ring which we have to pay just to get it sent over to the UK. The charge is rising at 1 % each month until 1 March 2005 when it will be 17% pllus vat and plus customs duty.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

As a Canadian I couldn''t be happier--I became very discouraged when diamond prices rose dramatically this year and I understood that the kind of upgrade I was seeking may not be realized...now things have changed to my benefit and I say: YAHOO!

cheers--Sharon

The killer at the moment when buying from the USA to the UK is the new advalorem tax which customs & excise are charging us UK citizens. In December we would have to pay 17.5% VAT + 5 % customs duty + advalorem duty 14% making a total addition to the cost of the diamond and ring of 36.5%. This is about a third of the price of the diamond ring which we have to pay just to get it sent over to the UK. The charge is rising at 1 % each month until 1 March 2005 when it will be 17% pllus vat and plus customs duty.
there is no way I am working my arse off just to give 40% to HMG!!!
29.gif
29.gif
29.gif
(short for Her Majesty's Government)

which is why I am lucky that I will be in the USA when I buy the ring
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
lol

chantal990

Shiny_Rock
The Aussie $ is up as well I love it cause all the site are in US so I''m spending while I can and before it goes back to around $0.50c to 1 US $
36.gif

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lesley H

Are you noticing any difference or hearing any feedback from UK customers regarding these extra tax charges?

LesleyH

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Pyramid:

I got a call from a UK customer yesterday morning interested in purchasing a diamond. He was still under the impression that the combined import taxes into the UK total 17.5%. I looked at our most recent orders and we have not had as many UK customers contact us as this time last year. This may very well be the reason why. Business is still very brisk in Singapore though! Another exciting trend is the growing market in Europe - have made several sales in Germany this past week.

Re: the Euro and the Australian $. I was in Belgium a month ago and was horrified to get so little for my $$. Also, we have a son studying abroad in Melbourne this year and he is not happy to be getting about AU$100 for US$75 and neither am I as he burns through the $$ that much faster
1.gif
The cost of living in Oz is much higher than here in Houston, TX. He's loving Australia (who wouldn't?)

LesleyH
www.whiteflash.com

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/6/2004 17:50 AM
Author:diamondgeezer
I just hope it doesn''t recover by next november when I am getting the ring
Woudn''t bet on the exchange rate (no one can, aparently!), but you can always select your diamond and hold it until you get to pick it up, right ?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results