shape
carat
color
clarity

Fall Jacket

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Hi,

I am receiving a fall jacket as an upcoming bday gift and not sure which way to go. I want something warm enough but not as warm as a winter jacket/coat. Since fall in the Midwest can get cool, I think denim or other lightweight jackets might not work for me. I was thinking leather but not sure. I am thinking something around hip length. My style is fairly simple, I tend to go for more classic styles than something extra trendy or modern. I would like to be able to try it on vs ordering online, if possible just b/c I am very picky and since it''s someone else''s money, don''t want to have to return, try again, etc...

Any ideas?

Thanks!

E B

Ideal_Rock
Hey dixie!

What about something like this, from J. Crew? It's a classic piece.

Wool Pique Ava Jacket

woolpiqueava.jpg

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/19/2007 3:57:42 PM
Author: EBree
Hey dixie!

What about something like this, from J. Crew? It''s a classic piece.

Wool Pique Ava Jacket
That wool pique is VERY cute. I was just thinking "ah" must have that one, but checked the web site and it''s sold out! What a bummer!

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/19/2007 8:26:23 PM
Author: MC
Date: 10/19/2007 3:57:42 PM

Author: EBree

Hey dixie!

What about something like this, from J. Crew? It''s a classic piece.

Wool Pique Ava Jacket
That wool pique is VERY cute. I was just thinking ''ah'' must have that one, but checked the web site and it''s sold out! What a bummer!

That IS a bummer! It must have JUST sold out, because they still had some in stock when I posted earlier.

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Ebree, for the suggestions. I do like the first one but I''m thinking of going w/brown or an alternate shade b/c I tend to buy jackets in black so often. I don''t know, I guess I want the difficult combination of something a little different but not so different that I can only wear it w/one or two things. I guess that''s my general problem..quite picky!

Anyone else have any ideas? What do your fall jackets look like?

asscher_girl

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Dixie,

I love my fall/winter coat. I bought it while we were still living in Atlanta last year (now in N. CA) and I love it. It''s not that thick but it is wool with a cute lining. The boutique I bought it at has the same coat again this year I think just the buttons are different. I have it in black but I want to get winter white too. And the price is right, $88 !!!

http://www.fabrikstyle.com/store/product.asp?pid=10953&catid=1103

_MG_6159.jpg

E B

Ideal_Rock
This Boiled Wool Coat from Gap is cute (esp. in the gray, but they have navy and green available too!):

Gap Boiled Wool Peacoat

gapwool.jpg

~*Alexis*~

Brilliant_Rock
The best time to look is now...I bought a leather jacket last year at TJ Maxx and its a peacoat type and it was $50 reg price was $198..It really warm and its a ivory color so it looks great with everything.

Erin

Ideal_Rock
a little bit different

bigbuttonpea.jpg

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Asscher girl, that is cute! I like the simplicity but it has a little flair to it.

Ebree and Starset Princess, thanks for the pictures and ideas!

Alexis, I hope to find a good deal too and need to get out there and start looking.

Anyone else have pics of their jackets or other ideas?

Thanks!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dixie, I bought a black pea coat from Jones NYC and it has lasted me about 10 years and it still looks great. The wool is very nice so it was the best $200 I spent; they might have some at your local Macy's or Dillards. HTH
9.gif

Or this one http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=254617&CategoryID=6403&LinkType=EverGreen
Maybe this one http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=254867&CategoryID=6403&LinkType=EverGreen

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Skippy, thanks! I like that 2nd one you posted although I''m surprised b/c usually I don''t like anything w/too many buttons.
I''m still looking though. I might take some time and browse a couple shops today.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another option...this is from Nordie's online and is $138. It's a washed velvet which I think is beautiful and super versatile. I actually had a Gallery 3/4 length single breasted black velvet jacket similar to this a few years ago, and somehow managed to lose it when we moved from our apt to our house (oh how I loved that jacket, for the price it really looked much more expensive and was great with jeans or workwear). What do ya think? I know you mentioned wanting hip-length, but you could potentially get this hemmed (it's not lined I don't think so it wouldn't be too expensive to alter it), and as a 36c I wore a medium, so I think a large would fit you in the bust area Dix.

galleryvelvet.jpg

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This one's adorable as well...it comes in charcoal also but I am partial to the winter white as shown. It's a Kenneth Cole Reaction, price is $148, also from Nordie's online.

guesshiplngth.jpg

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow Monnie, I love that white one! It is so beautiful!!!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Me too Monnie,

I love the winter white. Beautiful. I was bad, I bought myself two leather jackets this fall.
11.gif

Linda

sera

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/26/2007 11:19:12 PM
Author: monarch64
Another option...this is from Nordie''s online and is $138. It''s a washed velvet which I think is beautiful and super versatile. I actually had a Gallery 3/4 length single breasted black velvet jacket similar to this a few years ago, and somehow managed to lose it when we moved from our apt to our house (oh how I loved that jacket, for the price it really looked much more expensive and was great with jeans or workwear). What do ya think? I know you mentioned wanting hip-length, but you could potentially get this hemmed (it''s not lined I don''t think so it wouldn''t be too expensive to alter it), and as a 36c I wore a medium, so I think a large would fit you in the bust area Dix.
I just was looking at this one, saved it to my favorites and was going to post it here- am planning on getting it. Am I right in thinking because it''s a washed velvet it won''t show the lint as much as typical black velvet?

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Monarch, thanks for the suggestions!

We ended up getting a black leather jacket, about the length I was hoping for. It''s warm and cute so I''m very happy with it.

Thanks for all the ideas!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dixie,

I love leather jackets!!!! Which one did you get??

Linda

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/27/2007 1:49:20 PM
Author: sera

Another option...this is from Nordie''s online and is $138. It''s a washed velvet which I think is beautiful and super versatile. I actually had a Gallery 3/4 length single breasted black velvet jacket similar to this a few years ago, and somehow managed to lose it when we moved from our apt to our house (oh how I loved that jacket, for the price it really looked much more expensive and was great with jeans or workwear). What do ya think? I know you mentioned wanting hip-length, but you could potentially get this hemmed (it''s not lined I don''t think so it wouldn''t be too expensive to alter it), and as a 36c I wore a medium, so I think a large would fit you in the bust area Dix.
I just was looking at this one, saved it to my favorites and was going to post it here- am planning on getting it. Am I right in thinking because it''s a washed velvet it won''t show the lint as much as typical black velvet?
Sorry I didn''t get back to you more promptly Sera! I was OOT the last two days and incommunicado! Anyway, I think the washed velvet in charcoal such as this jacket won''t show lint QUITE as much as a regular black velvet, to answer your original question. I actually put this jacket on my wish list and emailed it to DH...to which he replied "we''ll see...if you''re nice!" LOL!

Dixie, glad you found a jacket you love, do post pics if you get a chance!
36.gif
35.gif

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Linda, it''s a Liz Claiborne but I don''t see a style number inside and couldn''t find pics. Sorry!

Monarch, thanks, I will try to take some pics.

sera

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/30/2007 1:41:51 AM
Date: 10/27/2007 1:49:20 PM

Author: sera

Sorry I didn''t get back to you more promptly Sera! I was OOT the last two days and incommunicado! Anyway, I think the washed velvet in charcoal such as this jacket won''t show lint QUITE as much as a regular black velvet, to answer your original question. I actually put this jacket on my wish list and emailed it to DH...to which he replied ''we''ll see...if you''re nice!'' LOL!

Dixie, glad you found a jacket you love, do post pics if you get a chance!
36.gif
35.gif
LOL... sounds like my ff, "If you''re a good girl." That''s our joke since we both know I''m never eeeverrr difficult!
27.gif

NP about getting back to me- I won''t be ordering it until next week. I really love the look and think it will be my new favorite jacket. I love velvet and I love black. Not like I don''t have enough black/dark anyway lol. I have a black peacoat but sometimes it feels bulky; this one doesn''t look too bulky so I think it''s a nice choice for a medium length coat.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ha ha, Sera, your ff definitely sounds like my DH with the whole "if you''re a nice/good girl" thing!
20.gif
2.gif
It''s rare that I ask DH for anything at all, typically I just buy what I want and he knows that, so I think he gets a kick out of getting to surprise me sometimes! Your ff is probably the same way!

It really is a cute jacket, and so versatile, I can picture it with dark jeans and metallic heels with a fun top for a night out when it''s chilly, or I can see it with tall black boots and a a knee-length skirt with a button-down and cardigan for work...or wide-legged slacks and a fitted sweater...the list goes on, lol! And obviously it''s a reasonable price so I''m guessing it won''t last long (note to self: remind DH about it once more just in case it sells out quick!) Dang, I really need to stop posting my most coveted items here!
9.gif

I would''ve gone ahead and ordered it a few days ago but alas, I have had to set a budget for clothing purchases this fall...and I have my eye on a very gorgeous J. Crew coat again since I love the last one I bought so much, and it''s a wee bit higher priced than this Gallery one, DH might take issue with me buying myself two jackets/coats so close to Christmas. He tries to keep me out of trouble, he really does...
11.gif

sera

Ideal_Rock
I received the Nordie jacket today... it's absolutely adorable... love the color and the details. It's very comfy, not bulky but not super thin either (at least by So.Cal. jacket standards).

galleryvelvet.jpg

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sera, love it. It looks so darn cozy

Linda

misysu2

Brilliant_Rock
sera, your coat is awesome! I''m glad you like it just as much in person!

I just bought my new fall coat too. From Victoria''s Secret: wool coat in plum color:

V225186_P94.jpg

sera

Ideal_Rock
Thanks... and it''s super comfy (I wore it today).

I love the plum color in that wool coat!

misysu2

Brilliant_Rock
Just got my Victoria''s secret coat-- the buttons are almost falling off! They didn''t actually sew the buttons on, just wrapped the thread around them!! Oy. And the color is almost black; doesn''t look purple at all.

Had to replace it with this one from Nordstrom''s-- sure hope the quality is better!

_5496897.jpg

iwannaprettyone

Ideal_Rock
I bought two Prague Coats from overstock and I love them.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results