shape
carat
color
clarity

Faint Pink 1ct in Solitaire PT setting ?

tomte

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I am wondering if I can get some opinions here:

I am looking at a 1ct faint pink (https://segoma.com/v.aspx?type=iframe&id=1DM8XZFB44) natural diamond in a Solitaire Platinum setting. Will the pink be noticeable at all? The stone is IF, excellent symmetry and excellent polish. Would that be worth it or should I go for a similar price range for a ~1.7ct IF/F colorless in same setting?

Much appreciate some opinions here.

Thanks

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, it’s certainly a very pretty pale pink. Normally people set their pink gems into rose gold metal as it seems to amplify the pink.
A word of warning, you need to the GIA report.
There are natural pink as mined from the ground, and these are most often from the Argyle mine here in Australia and as such should also come with an Argyle lab report and an Argyle number inscribed on the girdle.
Then there are natural diamond but colour enhanced. There is a process where white diamonds are treated / tinted. Such treatment will be noted on the GIA report.

tomte

Rough_Rock
Thanks a lot. I have the GIA report, it says color origin natural. No modification mentioned. There is no origin of the stone mentioned, nor is there an Argyle report.

Regarding the setting, I’m pretty much stuck with Platinum as an engagement ring...

FutureGracie

Rough_Rock
Why are you stuck with platinum as a setting? What type of setting are you planning on doing besides a platinum one? I think a small halo of white diamonds would look great around your center pink diamond and you can have the rose gold added to just underneath the pink diamond and the rest could be platinum. Adding white diamonds around your center diamond would help with the contrast of the pink diamond and adding some rose gold under it would also help with the enhancing the pink diamond. That is a beautiful pink diamond for a light pink .

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Having worked with many faint pink diamonds, my experience is that pink gold on a faint pink stone is your only shot at seeing any pink.
Even then, it’s a crapshoot. In a few cases the pink was noticeable. In others you really could not tell.
Generally round is the worst shape to show the color. And odd as it sounds, a super well cut round is less likely to show color compared to one which is not cut to traditional excellent cut grade. The reason is that such stones are cut to hide color, not to exhibit a tint.
Hope this helps!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMO, while the pink diamond is pretty, I don't think you will get the full effect of the color in that diamond in that setting. If it is an engagement ring, I think she would appreciate the size jump to 1.7 in a white stone. You can always get her a pink diamond later and maybe put it in rose gold for a pendant or right hand ring.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agree with all the above comments. Its very pale and without rose gold in the setting, you'll never see the pink that you pay a premium to buy. If the wearer might like a halo, you could get a white center and use more intense pink diamonds in the halo with rose gold in the halo area only.
upload_2019-3-7_8-45-45.png

Is there are the reason the "white" stone needs to be IF/F? Going with IF adds a huge price premium for clarity you can't see. You didn't mention a budget, but these are stunning and would allow you/her a generous upgrade policy.
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4059365.htm
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4023504.htm

sstephensid

Shiny_Rock
Thanks a lot. I have the GIA report, it says color origin natural. No modification mentioned. There is no origin of the stone mentioned, nor is there an Argyle report.

Regarding the setting, I’m pretty much stuck with Platinum as an engagement ring...

Why are you stuck? You may not see the pink with platinum. Or at least not easily or notice first thing. But I’m sure the pink adds $$$ to the cost.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agreed with others that the pink isn't worth the extra cost if you don't see the color. In a platinum setting I don't think you'll be able to see it, so the extra cost is wasted. I bet you're also paying a huge premium for IF clarity, which also isn't necessary.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
You will find allot more said on this forum about J or K color diamonds, and K is the first grade of the GIA Faint Yellow range (K-L-M). In pink, the Faint may well be even less apparent - Faint Pink is a subtlety you will know to be there and no one else will see (I would say such details are very enjoyable!)

GIA puts it this way:

https://www.gia.edu/gia-faq-when-colored-diamond-fancy

cokitty

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would take a pass, you could do the halo and shank in pink diamonds or sapphires if you want a pink look. To be honest I doubt even set in rose gold that you would be able to see the pink well enough to make it read as a pink diamond.

princessandthepear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This is a very light pink diamond with no modifying color that I used to own. The color was not very obvious.
IMG_0093.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0096.JPG
    IMG_0096.JPG
    115.2 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0152.JPG
    IMG_0152.JPG
    104 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0100.JPG
    IMG_0100.JPG
    137.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0127.JPG
    IMG_0127.JPG
    121.2 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0101.JPG
    IMG_0101.JPG
    148.9 KB · Views: 15

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have a .90 ct. GIA H color set in a three stone and also have a .91 ct GIA Faint Pinkish Brown set in a halo. I’m sharing a few photos of the two stones together hopefully to give you a better idea of what a GIA “faint” colored diamond looks like next to a GIA H color.
I can see the tint slightly in my faint pinkish brown, but my husband can’t see it at all. I set it in a white diamond halo hoping to make the tint more noticeable and I think a rose gold cup would have been even better. I wouldn’t pay extra for a faint tint, in fact my faint pinkish brown was half the price of my H, but that is because it’s a pinkish brown. I think the tint of the faint pink you are looking at would be noticeable to your eye because you will know it’s there, but others probably won’t see it.
4B12A1FB-2059-47F9-80DC-00CA262C0795.jpeg
D9E84B29-BA9F-49FA-A6A9-8CA207C2970A.jpeg
EB3DB0DB-F15D-4BB4-968C-60F1A3041D2B.jpeg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results