shape
carat
color
clarity

faint flourescence?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bella_91

Rough_Rock
Hi All:

Question for you....how much difference will "faint" flourescence make to a stone? The stone I''m looking at is an I color, VS1 1.51 ct cushion cut with faint flourescence.

Does faint flourescence really make a difference?...or would I need to go up to medium flourescence in a stone to make it appear whiter?

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
None.

Wink

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I have faint fluoro in my F stone and have never noticed any fluoresence (bummer)!

CaptAubrey

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/31/2008 4:12:04 PM
Author: Wink
None.

Wink

Ditto. "Faint" is what you get when the graders can see just enough not to call it "None."

LegacyGirl

Brilliant_Rock
If it''s a well cut I you don''t need to worry about Flour to make it look whiter. Unless you are highly color sensitive it''s hard to see any yellow to a well cut stone, esp once it''s set.

Cleo

Brilliant_Rock
I understand that to make a difference the blue fluorescence should be strong or very strong.

However, you should make sure that it isn''t affecting the stone in a negative way (by looking yourself or asking the vendor to look for you) by making the diamond seem oily or milky in appearance.

x x x

TopSecret

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/31/2008 5:24:20 PM
Author: Cleo
I understand that to make a difference the blue fluorescence should be strong or very strong.
Cleo or anyone - are you aware of any side-by-side photos showing an I-J w/ blue fluor alongside a whiter rock?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/31/2008 4:12:04 PM
Author: Wink
None.

Wink
Ditto. I have it in my stone, no diff.

Cleo

Brilliant_Rock
I've searched but not found any pics yet of side-by-side comparison - although it's something I would be interested in seeing too.

I did find an interesting report by GIA which you might like:

http://lgdl.gia.edu/pdfs/W97_fluoresce.pdf

Also a thread with pics of strong blue fluorescence:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-me-your-strong-blue-fluorescence-diamonds.42423/page-2

... but no comparison images as yet. Maybe someone else can help with this?

x x x

*Edited to add* I should have really said that the other way of masking colour in a diamond is to buy an exceptionally well cut stone, to maximise the white light return :)

TopSecret

Rough_Rock
Thanks Cleo - great info again. I''m liking the blue... hmmm... :)

Jenn5504

Brilliant_Rock
I wish it did make a difference, but I don''t think it does. I have faint flour in my K stone.
1.gif

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My F has faint flourescence, and the only time that I am ever able to notice any difference is at the nail salon under those tanning light dryer thingies, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results