shape
carat
color
clarity

F color + Strong blue flourescence?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

roksinmymind

Rough_Rock
I just put a deposit down for an F color, SI clarity, strong blue flourescence stone (62.5% depth, 57% table). I have not seen the stone yet (the broker was an etailer with a local office in my area).

Although i'm sure i got a good price ($3800-3000 less than what was posted on blue nile + pricescope for the EXACT same stone), i'm concerned now that the flourescence may affect the clarity.

Is the "oily-milky" effect easy to see with my untrained eyes?

Are there levels of this effect that could possibly escape my attention?

Is there a standard method to check for even the faintest hint of oiliness?

Should i stand in the sunlight and use a 10x loupe? Should i look at it top down, sideways, upsidedown? should i look at it frontlit, backlit, sidelit? should i look at it with a white background or a black background? How do i know if its even slightly "murky"?

any advice guys?

I can get back my deposit if I don't like the stone upon arrival, but how should I check for it? Is it possible I could miss it and have it haunt me later?

To tell you the truth, the idea of a "blue-white" stone entices me. Oh but the FEAR.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
How did the etailer say it looked? Again, I have never seen a b. fluor stone that appeared milky or oily. IMHO - look at the stone face up as it would be in a setting in sunlight.

I really think it will be a matter of taste. I have an F stone w/ med bl. fluor. My F stone gets lots of looks as it does appear VERY white. Almost stark.... but my aging eyes would rather look upon my I color stone w/ strong fluor.

I viewed an E color stone (faint bl) the same time I viewed an "I" stone - no fluor. Neither appealed to me. My point is it's all a matter of taste.

I think you will be fine w/ the F stone...but only your eye will know for sure. Keep us posted

roksinmymind

Rough_Rock
I don't think the etailer has seen the diamond yet either. It's being shipped from a wholesaler i think...

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
look at the stone with a loupe at about 45 degree angle in shaded daylight. If it is a cloudy daay that is perfect.
You can be inside, but outside or open window is probably better.

Dont forget to do it at daytime :)

roksinmymind

Rough_Rock
thnx for the advice...

buying a little rock for big $$$ is pretty tough on the mind. i guess we should thank debeers for making every girl think its their god given right to have one of these little stones.

btw- i was wondering about something else with this stone.

it's 1.44 carats (F/SI1,57%T,62.5%D), but only 7.14x7.23x4.5 mm with a medium to sl thick girdle. its pretty small for its weight from what i can gather, maybe due to some dead weight in its girdle. i don't mind a little dead weight given the price i got, but could this fat girdle affect the way the dimond looks/sparkles?

and from these limited stats, are there any other red flags that i should know about and prepare for when i actually do see the stone? there are no crown or pavilian angles for me to use for the HCA (GIA graded only), so i'm going to have to use my own limited eye... which i don't trust very much.

if anybody doesn't mind me asking, how should I, a total novice, prepare for and evaluate the quality of this stone?

i suspect my only tool may be a 10x loupe and the mass of info, good and bad, that is found on the internet.

the broker seems well intentioned and trustworthy, but it is myself that i don't trust.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
You're right 1.44 crt Tolkowsky stone should have 7.35 mm in diameter. 62.5% depth is a little deep for 57% table that results in smaller spread.

Slightly thick girdle will not affect visual appearance.

to check whether it's leaking too much light.

Better yet to check the stone with independent appraiser.
[/u]

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results