shape
carat
color
clarity

Extremely bored - anyone else?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

windy1365

Shiny_Rock
I''m just wondering if anyone else is extremely bored like I am? I hate accounting... but I am an accountant. I sit at my desk all day daydreaming about stuff. I am even bored with daydreaming now. I can''t talk on the phone or get on the internet at my current job. When I was an accountant at my old job for three years... I played on the internet constantly and talked to friends on email all day. I could literally complete my quarterly goals in two days... which I would do two days before they were due.

The problem is that I have no idea what I want to do. I have a BS in Accounting and a MBA. I don''t really want to go back to school. I can''t just quit my job without even having an idea of what I want to do. I took a career assessment test... and it came back that I didn''t like anything.

What I do like is the characters of Samantha and Carrie on Sex and the City. I wish that I could have Carrie''s job and Samantha''s lifestyle. And... Miranda''s brains with the other ones money. Then, I would be perfectly happy. Living it up in NYC. I want to be them!!

Most people would be very happy in my life... I have a career, about to be married, a beautiful house, three cute dogs.... but I''m just so bored!!!
Does anyone else feel like this, or am I just weird?

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK...this relates to another thread in which you write about being distressed about your fiancé. People sometimes "feel" bored (i.e. experience that feeling we know as "boredom"), when they are actually anxious. You are under stress as you are about to be married. Your "boredom" is probably a symptom of inner turmoil. Try to find a *good* therapist (although they are rare). You are not weird; you have the inner conflicts common to all civilzed people...but there is help available out there!

Deb

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
I would like to say that I am never bored but I know just how you feel. I have become addicted to books on tape. I listen to them whenever i am in the car or walking on my way to class, the must take up a 1/4 of my ipod. Oh well. If you feel like the boredom is going to be an issue then you may want to try and talk to your boyfriend or maybe ask your bosses for a more chelleging and dynamic workload. I hope this helps, but yes I feel bored soemtiems when I am at school. I am busy and I feel like I have too much to get done and yet I will feel bored and go online. Feel better soon.

teebee

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, Windy ~ you are definitely not the only one!!! 10 years ago I was an English Education major.... but I hated all of my classes and realized that I did not have the patience to be a teacher.... so I quit school since I had absolutely no clue of what else I''d like to do. After leaving school I just went to work as a receptionist, then admin assistant, exec. assistant, etc.... BORING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My jobs were always enjoyable and challenging for about 3-6 months when I was still new & learning and after that the only thing I got out of it was a social life after work because I worked with a lot of people my own age. Biggest problem was that since I hated the whole 8-5 desk job thing, I couldn''t even motivate myself to go for a promotion. You saying that even daydreaming has gotten boring cracked me up ~ I can totally relate to that!! I got to a point that I resented being at work because it felt so pointless/meaningless & I was hardly ever busy and I could be so much more productive with those 40 hours a week if I didn''t have to sit on my a** staring at a computer screen bored out of my skull!!!

Anyhow, when I moved to OKC from Tulsa to be with FI, I started job hunting and was almost panic-stricken at the idea of ending right back in the same situation, just different city... Luckily, going back to school was an option for me ~ I don''t have your level of education though so I can understand why you wouldn''t want to go that route!! The thing about school that I love is that it is always challenging to me ~ I''m always learning something new, studying for a test or quiz, so it keeps my interest. And, every 4 or so months, it all changes! Once I start getting sick of a class, it''s just about over and I get to start a new class!! As for what I went back to school for... I really decided to be somewhat practical about it: I don''t want to work 8-5 at a desk so I wanted to do something that I could have a flexible schedule or work part-time (but still make enough money working PT for it to be worth my time), I wanted something that would give me job security and immediately marketable skills (I''m 31, I don''t feel like I really have the time to ''pay dues'' as an intern or something)... So, I eventually settled on Dental Hygiene and I''m hoping to get into a program next year (as an English major I hadn''t taken any science courses, but the funny thing is I love them!!). The thing is, this may not necessarily be my ''dream career'' but basically I decided that I would do what I was capable of doing so that I could afford (with money and time) to do the things I do love outside of my job.

I don''t know if any of that helps you at all... just know that I have also struggled on deciding what I want to be when I grow up... I know that I''m a smart capapble individual but at times I wish I had some great undeniable talent that determined my path in life... I know that you''ve probably done this, but have you thought about what you really love to do outside of work and if any of that can be turned into a career? In my case, I love to read (why I thought I should be a teacher... bad idea!!), but I also love interior design ~ in Tulsa I remodeled my house with my own 2 hands and it was such a great and gratifying experience!! Everyone that saw my house and didn''t know me thought that it had been professionally designed so that is something that I may eventually try to get into more in my spare time once I''m a hygienist....

And, although you don''t really want to go back to school, there are some professional programs that aren''t necessarily traditional college type programs that don''t last very long so maybe you could check that out and see if anything looks even somewhat interesting??? Like residential real estate or something (I''m nosey & like seeing other peoples homes plus I really like talking to people so that''s just something that came to mind...).

I dunno.... I''m sorry for rambling on and on.... but I really hope you can find something that will challenge, interest, and mean something to you ~ it is a very frustrating situation to be in...

windy1365

Shiny_Rock
Thank you Teebee! After I get this wedding out of the way (only 29 more days!), I will start to look into things I might enjoy. I enjoyed going to class as an undergrad just like you described. It was so interesting. Biology was really cool...marketing was fun.

My fiancee makes plenty of money, so I can afford to make less money than I do if I enjoy the job.

I know that I hate sitting behind a desk... for nine hours a day for me... bored out of my mind. I hate to ask for more work to do b/c it''s just going to be yucky work that no one else wants to do. Then, my only escape for the day is lunch... but if I go to lunch with my co-workers, all they want to talk about is accounting stuff. The girl that sits next to me actually dreams about how she can make certain accounting functions better. That actually gave me a headache when I heard that!

Real estate might be an idea... or a police officer... or some kind of position at the college. As you can see, I have no idea yet. But, it''s nice to know that I''m not the only person in the world like this!!

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Hey you guys - I don''t know if this is relevant or useful to you two, but it is something that has helped me and my FI in terms of figuring out what we wanted to do. I think sometimes it helps to think about it from a different, more global perspective. For me, it was important to do something that "made the world a better place" (hey, I was back in high school, its a little corny but it was a good start). I noticed that there were certain issues and injustices that I got really fired up about, one of them being health and disease, specifically infectious disease. Reading a lot can help narrow stuff down like this. So I decided to become a doctor. But once I got to college I realized that wasn''t for me. So I still wanted something that allowed me to make a difference about this issue that really mattered to me, and science occurred to me, so I worked in a lab for a couple of years to try it out. I am now doing HIV research for my PhD, and even though sometimes I don''t love it and I get frustrated and bored in turn, knowing why I am doing it helps me get past that.

Now, there is absolutely nothing wrong with having a job to make money and be able to do other things you love. But you might want to think about whether there are any issues that you get fired up about. Windy - I remember reading your story about your horrible experience with a harassing ex. You might be happy in a job where you could help others facing something similar. Your skills are something that I''m sure any number of non-profit or government welfare agencies could use, and whether you are doing something similar to your current job day-to-day or branching out into other things, you could at least feel like you are making a difference and helping people.

I realize this approach isn''t for everyone, but I think that especially since you can afford to take some time figuring stuff out, it doesn''t hurt to think about it from this perspective too. I always felt so lucky to have had the education and other advantages I''ve had and so its nice to think that I am putting it to use in a way that helps address an issue that I care about.

Hope that helps some, and good luck
1.gif

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
I am a psychology girl so you may want to ignore this to some degree but... there are diffrent tests that we may administer to find out things about perosnality types. THere intended use is not for juob searching/daydreaming but I know a number of people who have used them this way and found the process very useful. If you have a college campus nearby you could likely get it done for free, students always need more info about something.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results