shape
carat
color
clarity

Expert Advice Requested :-)

KEV123

Rough_Rock
My husband and I are upgrading my original center stone from a I color 1.71 SI2 GIAXXX. We are having a hard time picking from our narrowed down options. We have explored so many avenues including Brian Gavin, Whiteflash and GIA XXX Jewelers (but hand selected based off feedback from the awesome HCA tool) to ensure our final selection is well cut :).

Right now here are our options:
* A few H VS2 options at Whiteflash which I am sure will all bring max sparkle but are a little more costly and smaller in size or the following two stones.

Would love any insight/advice on which of these stones may be the best purchase, if we do not go with WhiteFlash:
* 3.0 F VS2 GIA XXX with (at least I think based off what I can find online) ideal proportions. My only concern here is the cut being "very good" with the note of Brillianteering. HCA score of 1.2.

* 3.63 H SI1 GIA XXX, again with ideal proportions. HCA score of .8. Obviously the size is attractive but faint florescence and note of SI1 due to clouds make me worry it may hinder brilliance.

I will see if I can attach the videos of both stones jewelers sent over for reference in case it helps. Appreciate any advice, this is a big purchase to make sight unseen!

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
GIA will penalize a diamond for painting/brillianteering even though the numbers on the first stone are very desirable. An image such as ASET or Idealscope and a video will show to what extent this brillianteering affects the diamond. Unfortunately, brillianteering affects the diamond's cut and its overall appearance regardless of how good the numbers are on the paper. Thus, GIA lowered the cut grade. HCA is great because it does not detect the brillianteering part. Images are necessary to assess both stones.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I think you should pass on both of these 3x stones and continue your search... or just go for the ACA and be done with it!

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You might also look at HPD for CBIs. They’re super ideals.

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A Whiteflash stone is a sure thing. The 3.63 is a hard pass - clarity is based on clouds not shown which, in an SI1 would very likely be hazy. There are lots of beautiful, worthwhile GIA XXX stones but neither of these are them.

KEV123

Rough_Rock
In case it helps here are videos: I had to upload to YouTube, looks like cannot attach videos directly to this feed. Sorry for indoor background noise, sounds like jeweler was busy!

KEV123

Rough_Rock
GIA will penalize a diamond for painting/brillianteering even though the numbers on the first stone are very desirable. An image such as ASET or Idealscope and a video will show to what extent this brillianteering affects the diamond. Unfortunately, brillianteering affects the diamond's cut and its overall appearance regardless of how good the numbers are on the paper. Thus, GIA lowered the cut grade. HCA is great because it does not detect the brillianteering part. Images are necessary to assess both stones.

Thank you for taking the time to reply! Unfortunately, I do not have ASET or Idealscope images for either but I did include a video sent from the jeweler. Not sure if that will be helpful at all, obviously the other imaging would tell a lot more.

KEV123

Rough_Rock
I think you should pass on both of these 3x stones and continue your search... or just go for the ACA and be done with it!

Thanks, certainly something to consider! At this point we we have looked through so many rings we are overwhelmed. Was hoping these may be it but guess maybe not! These had the best proportions we found but obviously the clouds and brillianteering were concerns for us :(

KEV123

Rough_Rock
A Whiteflash stone is a sure thing. The 3.63 is a hard pass - clarity is based on clouds not shown which, in an SI1 would very likely be hazy. There are lots of beautiful, worthwhile GIA XXX stones but neither of these are them.

Thanks for the feedback. Guess we may need to keep looking. I attached videos in case it helps but obviously not in depth imaging, it is not available from the manufacturer or jeweler. We have had such a hard time finding well proprortioned GIA stones above an H at more than 3carats. Seems slim pickings...or we are not looking in the right places. We have been scouring WF and BG virtual inventory to find stones that get us above an H/3carat. We set a budget of $50K which we thought would be sufficient. Ideally we wanted G+, my current stone being and I and I can see the color.

WF is a guaranteed quality stone, agree, just means we get a little less of criteria for our budget.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results