shape
carat
color
clarity

Experience with Kosnar Gem Company

tc3388

Rough_Rock
This is a review a purchase I made that was 1. never received in its loose or unset form and 2. complicated by my inability to reach the merchant to resolve the situation.

In October 2019, I made a successful purchase of three items from Kosnar Gem Company on Etsy. Unbeknownst to me, sales tax was charged to me even though I do not reside in the same state as the company. Brett offered to send me a gemstone of my choice of similar value or a higher value item provided I pay the difference. I opted for a pair of kyanites and paid a difference of $450 via Square on 10/29/19.

Brett held on to the gems as I planned to have him set them in earrings. After some minor delays in communications, we agreed on studs 11/25/2019 via Etsy message. He stated that there would be a delay in starting the project due to the holiday rush and we agreed to touch base after the new year. After this last communication, I have unable to reach him or his wife Allyce despite multiple attempts through different modalities:

1/9/2020: Message via Etsy to follow up
2/8/2020: Email requesting the stones be shipped to me, no response--at this point I was quite concerned but an acquaintance in the industry advised me to wait until the end of the month due to the Tucson Gem Show

In between 3/3 and today, I have left multiple voicemails on both Brett and Allyce's phones with a request for a call back without response. Finally, I sent another email requesting a response and/or refund by the close of business today 3/6/20.

At this point, I have no recourse to obtain a refund or the item or even leave a review and consider the money lost. I try to give people the benefit of the doubt and still hope for a resolution but this is likely naivete on my part and unrealistic.

Please proceed with caution when purchasing from Kosnar Gems and don't wait like I did (in any situation really) if your gut is telling you something is off. Thank you for your time.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a review a purchase I made that was 1. never received in its loose or unset form and 2. complicated by my inability to reach the merchant to resolve the situation.

In October 2019, I made a successful purchase of three items from Kosnar Gem Company on Etsy. Unbeknownst to me, sales tax was charged to me even though I do not reside in the same state as the company. Brett offered to send me a gemstone of my choice of similar value or a higher value item provided I pay the difference. I opted for a pair of kyanites and paid a difference of $450 via Square on 10/29/19.

Brett held on to the gems as I planned to have him set them in earrings. After some minor delays in communications, we agreed on studs 11/25/2019 via Etsy message. He stated that there would be a delay in starting the project due to the holiday rush and we agreed to touch base after the new year. After this last communication, I have unable to reach him or his wife Allyce despite multiple attempts through different modalities:

1/9/2020: Message via Etsy to follow up
2/8/2020: Email requesting the stones be shipped to me, no response--at this point I was quite concerned but an acquaintance in the industry advised me to wait until the end of the month due to the Tucson Gem Show

In between 3/3 and today, I have left multiple voicemails on both Brett and Allyce's phones with a request for a call back without response. Finally, I sent another email requesting a response and/or refund by the close of business today 3/6/20.

At this point, I have no recourse to obtain a refund or the item or even leave a review and consider the money lost. I try to give people the benefit of the doubt and still hope for a resolution but this is likely naivete on my part and unrealistic.

Please proceed with caution when purchasing from Kosnar Gems and don't wait like I did (in any situation really) if your gut is telling you something is off. Thank you for your time.

Did you pay via credit card?

If so, you should be able to effect a chargeback because they have 'failed to provide goods or services' (or words to that effect).

Have you left feedback on Etsy and reported them?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is horrible, I'm sorry! They have a very good reputation so I'm surprised and saddened about this. I would report via etsy and your CC company.

tc3388

Rough_Rock
Unfortunately, outside of 60 days post-transaction, the credit card company cannot intervene and at least mine is not willing (or perhaps cannot) make an exception.

Etsy is not able to help as the items I purchased through Etsy did get delivered. The kyanites, for which I paid for via Square, is not under their purview. You cannot leave an Etsy review past 100 day post purchase.

^I didn't know because prior to this I haven't had an experience like this on Etsy nor have I had to initiate a dispute or chargeback. So it has been reported but they are unable to help.

I've had great experiences with a few of the vendors on the PS reference list, so perhaps it made me complacent (I admit to lurking).

My prior Etsy purchase went smoothly and I know they are a family business, hence my delay in taking action and like lovedogs said, my research before purchase showed that they have a good reputation.
Definitely, I take full responsibility for my waiting so long even though I had concerns. That will not happen again. Live and learn, I guess?

strawrose

Brilliant_Rock
I’m so sorry. Have you tried contacting them via their auction page or Instagram? I hope your messages didn’t go through spam.

tc3388

Rough_Rock
Update: Brett did get in touch with me shortly after the previous message. He was very apologetic. The loose kyanites are scheduled to arrive tomorrow.

I don't think any of this was deliberate and I'm thankful that this has been resolved. Thanks everyone for your help and support.

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
I had an eerily similar experience with them a couple years ago. I bought an ametrine from them and sent it back along with a couple of my cheap rings for size/design ideas. After a few emails, the communication just dried up. NOTHING. Finally etsy intervened, he mailed my rings back and refunded the price of the ametrine.
I don't think they're evil, just incredibly poor managers of their time. Too bad because I think they're very talented.

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
I've found their prices to be almost laughably over-inflated. I'm not sure why. They can't possibly have that much overhead.

I know, for example, of a pair of stones they purchased from a well-known vendor. The vendor had them listed at $350 for retail sale. Kosnar listed them for 10x the price (also didn't mention that they were cut by another vendor).

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've found their prices to be almost laughably over-inflated. I'm not sure why. They can't possibly have that much overhead.

I know, for example, of a pair of stones they purchased from a well-known vendor. The vendor had them listed at $350 for retail sale. Kosnar listed them for 10x the price (also didn't mention that they were cut by another vendor).

Yeah, I've found the same. Their prices are completely unreasonable IMHO. They are talented, but the prices dont make any sense

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results