shape
carat
color
clarity

Experience in shipping from Sri Lanka

fantapanda

Shiny_Rock
Hi all,

I bought a sapphire from a seller from Sri Lanka and so far communications are great and he's kept me updated on shipping status. However, it looks like tracking the status while in the US is possible. Seller shipped the package out on 4/5 and tracking shows it leaving Sri Lanka on 4/7. Has anyone bought a gem from Sri Lanka and had it shipped to the US? How long did you have to wait for it?

Should I start panicking since the seller wrote "gem" on the package (it's in the seller's business name)?

Thanks!

Greyhound girl

Rough_Rock
I purchased a few small sapphires from a vendor from Sri Lanka on Instagram. They were shipped on 1/26 and I did not receive them until 3/9. The parcel literally showed no movement for a full month from when it shipped, to when it was received in the USA.

The vendor was the gorgeous gems and it was written on the outside of my parcel as well.

It made me nervous, but I received the package, untouched. The sapphires were well priced and absolutely stunning. Well worth the wait.... but the purchase was quite a process!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I purchased a few small sapphires from a vendor from Sri Lanka on Instagram. They were shipped on 1/26 and I did not receive them until 3/9. The parcel literally showed no movement for a full month from when it shipped, to when it was received in the USA.

The vendor was the gorgeous gems and it was written on the outside of my parcel as well.

It made me nervous, but I received the package, untouched. The sapphires were well priced and absolutely stunning. Well worth the wait.... but the purchase was quite a process!

I just ordered from a vendor there as well, and I'm expecting a similar timeline.

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I've been lucky. My items have arrived within days from Sri Lanka. The longest has been this one seller in Thailand. His packages always get opened and examined by customs.

fantapanda

Shiny_Rock

Thanks for the response and helping to ease my mind about shipping timelines! I was thinking maybe 2-3 weeks so I'm glad you mentioned your timeline as a reference.

Agree that the prices for sapphires from Sri Lankan sellers are very competitive. I really like how responsive the seller I'm working with is.

Have you posted pictures of your sapphires? Would love seeing them!

fantapanda

Shiny_Rock
I've been lucky. My items have arrived within days from Sri Lanka. The longest has been this one seller in Thailand. His packages always get opened and examined by customs.
Whoa, days! That's amazing! Where your items shipped via FedEx or DHL? Did you have to deal with customs at all for the gems from your Thai seller?

Greyhound girl

Rough_Rock
Here are the 2 sapphires I bought. The picture does not do them justice. I thought they might make a pretty bypass ring. I was in the market for a couple unique shaped gems. These two are completely eye clean and sparkly. This vendor has tons of beautiful sapphires at decent prices. 6C3F91F9-2FD4-48ED-B583-E8B938D9528C.jpeg

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

First, let me say OMG your baby is gorgeous!! :love: I have 2!!

next, I've also received stuff from Sri Lanka and even India without issue. My last package was lapis lazuli buttons for a jacket I'm making.

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
Hi all,

I bought a sapphire from a seller from Sri Lanka and so far communications are great and he's kept me updated on shipping status. However, it looks like tracking the status while in the US is possible. Seller shipped the package out on 4/5 and tracking shows it leaving Sri Lanka on 4/7. Has anyone bought a gem from Sri Lanka and had it shipped to the US? How long did you have to wait for it?

Should I start panicking since the seller wrote "gem" on the package (it's in the seller's business name)?

Thanks!

Depends on the shipping. If you had it shipped Sri Lanka Post, it can take up to a month. If you had it shipped EMS it would still take a while but not as long. USPS takes possession of the stone for delivery in both cases once in the USA.

If the vendor sent it to Thailand to be shipped DHL or Fed Ex, you will have it in days.

Just keep checking the tracking.

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Where your items shipped via FedEx or DHL? Did you have to deal with customs at all for the gems from your Thai seller?

I think they were DHL, but I'm not sure. I haven't had many SE Asia sellers use FedEx. I've only ever had two packages opened by Customs - same seller (HoroscopeGems). Weird.

Greyhound girl

Rough_Rock
First, let me say OMG your baby is gorgeous!! :love: I have 2!!

next, I've also received stuff from Sri Lanka and even India without issue. My last package was lapis lazuli buttons for a jacket I'm making.

Thanks! I have 2 needle noses as well

Attachments

• 62D38E13-167F-4610-8D70-D6C6171E463D.jpeg
    62D38E13-167F-4610-8D70-D6C6171E463D.jpeg
    187.8 KB · Views: 33
  • 9ECFCD6B-0F5E-4821-A8DF-CCADD7479EEC.jpeg
    9ECFCD6B-0F5E-4821-A8DF-CCADD7479EEC.jpeg
    305.9 KB · Views: 51

Frost

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Just to chime in regarding shipping: packages being labeled as "gems" or "gemstones" when coming out of Sri Lanka isn't unfortunately up to the sender at all.

The outer packaging (brown paper, twine, wax seals) on the parcels is done by government employees of the regulatory body in charge of the gem trade, so the customs for some reason insists on stating these details on the outside of the box. You don't get a choice if exporting legally.

Flip side, it's precisely this "gems" with seals from various SL govt departments that allows U.S. customs to pass you the stones without charging you anything or usually opening the package as imports of gems from Sri Lanka are duty free under the U.S. Generalized System of Preferences Program.

Not so with some other countries, so as inconvenient as it is (and it sure is plain silly to write "gems, $$$" on a package), it also helps with packages being delivered without a whole lot of paperwork and taxes that people in the EU, Australia, China etc. have to contend with.

Also, FWIW, EMS stopped operating between Lanka and the States in early 2020 due to Covid til further notice, so it's either air mail or FedEx now.

fantapanda

Shiny_Rock
Here are the 2 sapphires I bought. The picture does not do them justice. I thought they might make a pretty bypass ring. I was in the market for a couple unique shaped gems. These two are completely eye clean and sparkly. This vendor has tons of beautiful sapphires at decent prices. 6C3F91F9-2FD4-48ED-B583-E8B938D9528C.jpeg

Love these 2 together! You've got a great eye for color and shapes. And I can't wait to see the end result bypass ring.

fantapanda

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the insight @fredflintstone. The seller did send by Sri Lanka Post so I guess it's a month for me. The wait is excruciating.

And @Frost - thank you for the very detailed walkthrough! I never knew that and thought it was interesting they still had to do the brown paper, wax seal and twine. The things I learn everyday!

zhazha

Rough_Rock

Love the color of the right one!!! Would you mind to share the IG account? Thanks

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results