shape
carat
color
clarity

Expensive “Dummy spit” - feeling ashamed of myself.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So, I have a sunroof / sunshade in my car and yesterday while trying to open it, one side of the sunshade seemed to catch.
I was already not having a good day and foolishly decided to be “heavy handed” by trying to force the sunshade open.
Snap.
I broke the plastic track guide. Now I’m seriously upset.
Off to the repair man, the tiny part is $279. It’s a Mercedes so everything costs $$$. Ouch.
Then I get the phone call- the whole sunroof, glass, tracks, motor everything has to be disconnected / removed to be able to put a new track guide in. This is a days work.
The quote - $3,000.
If that’s not bad enough, if I think of the nice piece of jeweller I could have bought instead.......:wall:

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:-o

LJsapphire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
:(2 Oh no!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh no! :(2 So sorry Bron!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So sorry Bron, try not to be hard on yourself though it was an accident and we all have them.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh bugger! So sorry to hear that Bron!!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Off to the repair man, the tiny part is $279. It’s a Mercedes so everything costs $$$. Ouch.
Then I get the phone call- the whole sunroof, glass, tracks, motor everything has to be disconnected / removed to be able to put a new track guide in. This is a days work.
The quote - $3,000.
So the part is $279 and the work to put it in, taking 1 day, is $2721?

Assuming an 8 hour working day, that's $340/hour.

That is a LOT, even for a Dealership. I'd even go as far as to say that is extortionate.

If you have not put it in for the work yet, do check out other dealers' quotes!!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So the part is $279 and the work to put it in, taking 1 day, is $2721?

Assuming an 8 hour working day, that's $340/hour.

That is a LOT, even for a Dealership. I'd even go as far as to say that is extortionate.

If you have not put it in for the work yet, do check out other dealers' quotes!!
It took two guys two days, wait for it - the whole inside of the car roof lining also had to be taken out. And underneath the car had to be checked because they realized a part had broken off inside and disappeared down through the Charisse. Garage guy said “how is this even possible!”.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the correct phrase for this situation is "Dayummm"!!

I'm guessing it's out of warranty?!

This is why I like running old cars... lol

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It took two guys two days, wait for it - the whole inside of the car roof lining also had to be taken out. And underneath the car had to be checked because they realized a part had broken off inside and disappeared down through the Charisse. Garage guy said “how is this even possible!”.

You must be a strong woman to do all that, bet you impressed the heck out of the mechanics though!:lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results